Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Favorite Mics and why????  (Read 13581 times)

Offline jb3newbie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Oktava MK012 > (soon to be) W-Mod UA-5 > JB3
Favorite Mics and why????
« on: November 05, 2003, 11:25:33 PM »
Looking to get some mics in the near future.  Dont have a budget planned out but there will be one in place.  I just want to know what is everyones fav. mics.  I know the easiest way to find your own fav. is to listen to diff. sources.  I have listened to quite a few tapes and so far I am partial to Neumans (sp) , but I have heard some great FOB recordings with Schoeps (sp).  But when they are running from the "Tapers Section"  I find them a bit too basey (is that a word?)

what is your fav?
Ubber is a cool sounding word

localtaper@taperssection.com

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re:Favorite Mics and why????
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2003, 11:47:13 PM »
I'd take several things into account when choosing mics.

#1 is if they sound good. That's obvious. I'm also partial to the Neumann's. I've patched into a few of them and I really like the KM184's. They aren't obscenely expensive. You're still talking $2000-ish with a preamp that is appropriate for them. I've also patched into some smaller Neumans the I like for reason #2. Don't recall the model # on them, but I'm sure someone could help me out on that one.

#2 (for me) is size. Many of the bands that I like don't allow taping or forget to inform the venue that they do. I'm leaning toward the DPA 4061's. I don't think there's anything smaller than those (at least that sound good). Not sure what route I'm going with to power them. I'd like to use them with my JB3 because I can play it off as my "walkman that doesn't record" if anyone finds it on the way in (when I shouldn't have it). Seems like the Core-Sound High End Binaural set is the way to go. I've been happy with my regular CS binaurals. I've heard the High End version is much better.

If you're looking for a deal I've been very happy with my Oktava MC012's > UA5. Best sound for the buck IMO.

Well, thats my 2 cents.

MIKE B
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2003, 12:50:53 AM »
+T to team AKG,  good mics for great prices...  i like them cause they are flat, and sound pretty natural, although hearing some of daryan's tapes with his geffels, i like them very much...
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2003, 09:17:15 AM »
Buy my Earthworks SR77s (see Yard Sale thread)!
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2003, 10:47:48 AM »
Buy my Earthworks SR77s (see Yard Sale thread)!

Great sound, Earthworks were my first mics.

I'd look into AKG bluelines, ADK (not sure of model #'s), Oktavas... a budget would definately help us out.
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline VA_TAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • SPA AKG C33E->Hamptone HVTP2->Tascam DV-RA1000 DSD
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2003, 11:27:46 AM »
Royer Ribbons - best transient response and detail of any mic I've heard, liked it even better than the Stephen Paul modded SM69 that we did a comparison with.  Unfortunatly, to fragile for taping, though I used it several times.  I am very happy with my Josephsons now, what they lose in transient response against the Royer they make up for in extreme high-frequency clarity and detail, and the price is right at around $1000 per pair, I'd put them up against any current small diaphram condenser mic.  The new Stephen Paul mics are on their way, they should be interesting, and I can't wait.

peace, chris
My recordings and transfers at archive.org: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=berryman%20AND%20mediatype%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.”  Joseph Stalin

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2003, 11:30:56 AM »
I love schoeps, that is no secret, but trust what your ears like, not what others tell you sounds good.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline junkbondking

• a good story and a good massage both have happy endings
  • i'm busy fabercating
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2003, 11:31:22 AM »
buy the adk 51tl's.  dont be afraid of the large dia's.  the multi pattern option is fun to play with.  plus they are a great value.
www.poachninja.com  "you've been poached"

km184 -> busman modded R4

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2003, 01:32:43 PM »
yea i like the switchable multi pattern option, like lee said, check out some AKG blueline sources, i love my 391's can't beat it for the $$$.  good luck man. and +T's all around
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline Wes

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2003, 01:47:14 PM »
Soundfield ST-250!!!  I got mine about a month ago and have come out with some somewhat displeasing results, but I've about got it figured out.  There is no other mic on the planet that comes close to the 3D imaging this mic provides. If you want to hear a sample go to digitalpanic.org and download the 11-1-03 show.  UNBELIEVABLE QUALITY!  Deep down, most taper's goal is to pull the best tapes out of say 30-40 rigs, well this mic is the way to do it.
" Radio Shack md440zrs>high pass filter>whopper a>d "

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2003, 02:05:15 PM »
>> Deep down, most taper's goal is to pull the best tapes out of say 30-40 rigs, well this mic is the way to do it.<<

your opinion :)

(others may beg to differ....)

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2003, 02:58:51 PM »
most taper's goal is to pull the best tapes out of say 30-40 rigs,

I sincerely hope that is not the goal of "most" tapers. i feel sorry for any taper that's out there just to have the best sounding tape. that just seems dumb to me.  of course you want it to sound good-so you buy the best gear your money can get-but for me it's just having the the ability to record shows and have them at my disposal to listen and spread.

the other goal is to help spread Missouri music ;D
« Last Edit: November 06, 2003, 02:59:36 PM by STL-Taper »

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2003, 03:09:54 PM »
Soundfield ST-250!!!  I got mine about a month ago and have come out with some somewhat displeasing results, but I've about got it figured out.  There is no other mic on the planet that comes close to the 3D imaging this mic provides. If you want to hear a sample go to digitalpanic.org and download the 11-1-03 show.  UNBELIEVABLE QUALITY!  Deep down, most taper's goal is to pull the best tapes out of say 30-40 rigs, well this mic is the way to do it.

pretty much any mic can pull a great tape if used properly, its all about the user combined with the environment, not the equipment
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

Offline Wes

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2003, 03:56:50 PM »
I shouldn't have said "goal" I don't go to a show thinking, I've got to show all these other guys up or anything like that.  But you can't deny that it is a great feeling knowing that you made the best tape.  Spreading the music is important too.  Creekfreek- you're pretty much saying equipment plays no role, huh, I wish I would've known that before I dropped that $10K into my rig, damn! ::)
" Radio Shack md440zrs>high pass filter>whopper a>d "

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2003, 04:07:18 PM »
I shouldn't have said "goal" I don't go to a show thinking, I've got to show all these other guys up or anything like that.  But you can't deny that it is a great feeling knowing that you made the best tape.  Spreading the music is important too.  Creekfreek- you're pretty much saying equipment plays no role, huh, I wish I would've known that before I dropped that $10K into my rig, damn! ::)

no, I am not saying that equipment plays no role, but just because one has the most expensive mic doesn't mean they pulled the best tape, and seriously, how do you really know if you did pull the best tape? Do you take a survey or something after the show? ;D
In Tyler we Trust

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com