Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Getting open taping gear into the venue...  (Read 11850 times)

Offline melontracks

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • you are a delight!
Getting open taping gear into the venue...
« on: September 17, 2007, 07:52:05 PM »
I know there must be info on these boards about it, but I can't find it.  Does anyone have any advice on how to get gear into venues to record taper-friendly bands?  I have never tried to take an open setup in, always assuming that the venue probably doesn't know/care if the bands allow taping and I'll be left standing at the door with my gear.

As a result, I've been taping with a stealth setup that works fine for me, but when the new gear I recently ordered arrives, I'll want to be able to get a stand in to record FOB.  Any advice or links to threads that I couldn't find?

I don't even want to think about the hoops you guys must be jumping through to get on the soundboard...
 ::)

I'll be trying to get gear into the venues in the near future, and each (i think) will be really different:

- Irvine Meadows amphitheater (18,000 capacity)
- House of Blues, San Diego (1,100 capacity, but "big-corporate")
- the Majestic Ventura Theater, Ventura, CA (1,150 capacity, privately owned)
- The Wiltern, LA (2,200 capacity, not really friendly staff in my experience...)

thanks

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Getting open taping gear into the venue...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 07:59:37 PM »
what bands?
most taper friendly bands try to inform the venue, that doesn't always mean they do or that the venue isn't just jerks
typically though any venue i have been to that the band is open taping there isn't much of a problem
if there is its best to have a copy of the bands taping policy printed out and if poss know who to ask for "in the band" that could help clear things up
(thats why i made this thread) http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,90261.0.html
the biggest thing is to stay relaxed and nice

irvine has had many taper friendly acts and should be pretty easy to get it
hob can be a big bitch
never heard of the others - try emailing them ahead of time if they are privately owned too
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline melontracks

• Taperssection Regular
  • you are a delight!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 08:05:55 PM »
thanks, that's helpful stuff.

the show at irvine meadows is Muse, and may not be an issue since I can't find any info on whether or not they are taper friendly (though I see torrents of their live shows out there).

the other three venues are Ween shows, which always have a few tapers with nice setups.  I'll follow your advice and keep my fingers crossed!

easy jim

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 08:08:02 PM »
The HoRules (San Diego in particular) tends to put such onerous conditions on bands to allow open taping that many who generaly are open will not be willing to go through the hoops to make it happen.

Some bands will go through the hoops (Ween may since they're historically pro-taper), but do not expect to get through to band folks via house security if denied at the door unless you know the right person/title to ask for (and have their info., etc.)  They have allowed taping from an area at the back of the main floor which is under the balcony, behind and to the side of the SBD.

The rest of the venues you mentioned will be less restrictive if an artist has duly cleared open taping for the night, however, NONE of them will allow you to run FOB. 

« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 11:54:29 PM by easyjim »

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 12:41:04 AM »
I have all my stuff in a sack and walk in, carrying the mic stand.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 01:10:20 PM »
Wiltern is usually very easy going with taper friendly artists

staff tends to look the other way for FOB type stuff depending where you are set up etc

there will be at least 2 or 3 of us taping Ween at the Wiltern

majestic shouldn't be a problem at all

HoB will be hit or miss at the door - best bet is to be friendly and make sure they check with the band FOH or tour manager, if you see Ween before that show may want to try to get some contact info from their FOH guy. if you do get gear in though don't expect FOB unless you are really gonna work hard for it and can pull it off

Irvine Meadows will likely need to be very clearly open taping and arranged things in advance - if so policy will likely be tape from the lawn area - if you've got good seats you are probably better off stealthing, security isn't too bad there
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline ScottT

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 01:52:03 PM »
I taped Blues Traveler @ HoB San Diego a couple years ago.  I made it through the door without a problem and set up in front of the board.  Then, TWICE during the opening act, I got pulled aside by bouncers asking what I was doing.  They made me stand away from my rig while they confirmed that it was OK.... it worked out in the end but it was a pain.
Mics: Schoeps mk22, mk41, mk8, ADK TLs
Pres: V2, Busman-mod UA5
Recorders: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-70d, Tascam DR-07

"Push out the jive. Bring in the love." - C.M. Burns

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 02:34:53 PM »
thanks, that's helpful stuff.

the show at irvine meadows is Muse, and may not be an issue since I can't find any info on whether or not they are taper friendly (though I see torrents of their live shows out there).

the other three venues are Ween shows, which always have a few tapers with nice setups.  I'll follow your advice and keep my fingers crossed!

let us know how it goes with muse.

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 04:05:51 PM »
I taped Blues Traveler @ HoB San Diego a couple years ago.  I made it through the door without a problem and set up in front of the board.  Then, TWICE during the opening act, I got pulled aside by bouncers asking what I was doing.  They made me stand away from my rig while they confirmed that it was OK.... it worked out in the end but it was a pain.

Hope the Belly Up gig in December goes better for ya. :)
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 04:10:49 PM »

hands down, best venue in SD, no issues at all taping there

easy jim

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 05:18:42 PM »

hands down, best venue in SD, no issues at all taping there

You bet.  The Belly Up and Winston's, both in San Diego, are two of the most taper friendly venues in SoCal.

Offline melontracks

• Taperssection Regular
  • you are a delight!
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 07:36:21 PM »

I will, though I'm leaning toward just going stealth at this show (doesn't look like the new gear will be here in time... show is only a couple of days away).  Also, I'm thinking it might not be a stellar tape...all I'll have is omnis and a ticket to sit in the lawn section!  Had a couple of orchestra tickets that I gave away thinking I'd have a pair of cards and could set up in the lawn to tape.  Now, I'll need a lot of luck (and some quiet neighbors!) to get a decent tape.  Oh well!

Offline melontracks

• Taperssection Regular
  • you are a delight!
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 07:37:17 PM »
I have all my stuff in a sack and walk in, carrying the mic stand.

Why didn't I think of that?   ::)

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 07:41:26 PM »

I will, though I'm leaning toward just going stealth at this show (doesn't look like the new gear will be here in time... show is only a couple of days away).  Also, I'm thinking it might not be a stellar tape...all I'll have is omnis and a ticket to sit in the lawn section!  Had a couple of orchestra tickets that I gave away thinking I'd have a pair of cards and could set up in the lawn to tape.  Now, I'll need a lot of luck (and some quiet neighbors!) to get a decent tape.  Oh well!

where do you live?

and for the future, you can always access the lawn with a ticket to any other location in the venue at Irvine

we may be able to get a pair of cards for you to run, but the lawn is so fucking far away even guns would be questionable as to worthwhile

i wouldn't even bother running omnis up there, plus I can't recall there being a relay stack up there

Offline melontracks

• Taperssection Regular
  • you are a delight!
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 07:51:52 PM »
Wiltern is usually very easy going with taper friendly artists

staff tends to look the other way for FOB type stuff depending where you are set up etc

there will be at least 2 or 3 of us taping Ween at the Wiltern

majestic shouldn't be a problem at all

If there's going to be people with quality rigs at the wiltern show, I'll probably just try to get there early and get up front with a stealth rig.  The last time Ween was out here in socal (2004) there were a number of good recordings floating around, including one from each venue that had been taped by a guy whose e-mail i remember started with "bpottenger@..."  no idea why I remember that, but I'm not going to get a tape like the ones that he was getting, so may as well get something different.  I like binaural audience recordings sometimes...

What gear will you be bringing to the Wiltern show?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com