Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Noob questions: Mics + Tascam vs Sound Devices deck  (Read 11604 times)

Offline sea-speak

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Noob questions: Mics + Tascam vs Sound Devices deck
« on: November 14, 2007, 04:56:55 PM »
I've never done any recording. I want to have a portable, durable, very high-quality rig to record: people talking (say interview style), environmental sounds, and amateur live music in homes and other non-pro venues. I don't plan to record live, amplified pro musicians.

I am also an afflicted audiophile with a relatively serious home stereo setup with ribbon speakers. That will affect my sense of how the stuff performs.

Today I spoke to a respected equipment modder (you can probably guess who) who said that the Tascam HD P2 provides a much better sense of soundstage/space/depth than the Sound Devices 702. He said that the 702 sounds killer on mono but not so much in stereo. Question 1: Can anyone confirm this or deny it? For sound quality alone, which deck will sound better in stereo on a serious playback system given the same mic?

Question 2: what high quality, versatile stereo mics should I look at in the $500-$1500 range? I want clarity - which to me means uncolored sound, 'openness', good staging, excellent transients, high frequency extension, low noise, and so on. I don't like 'dark.' I do like a bit of warmth but that is not necessary. Another way to phrase this question might be - what's a step up from a Rode NT4 but isn't a $4000 Schoeps?

thanks much for anything and everything you can tell me.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 05:52:59 PM by sea-speak »

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Noob questions: Mics + Tascam vs Sound Devices deck
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 12:38:52 AM »
My advice is to listen to both rigs.  8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 10:16:19 AM »
While not the type of material for which you plan on using the gear, here's one sample of a 722 v. ACM HD-P2 in the field:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,88037.0.html

I think they both sound great.  Probably tough to tell how they'll sound in your planned usage, though.  You might consider going with the ACM HD-P2 and applying the ~$1k you save towards your mic purchase, taking the upper limit of your mic budget to $2,500.  The mic generally will have a bigger overall impact on the sound you're trying to achieve than the pre/ADC/recorder.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline sea-speak

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 11:33:11 AM »
Yep, I understand that the mic will have a bigger overall effect than the recorder. On the other hand, it's a little scary to carry a very expensive and extremely delicate object around in the big bad world! :)

Can you provide any recommendations on stereo mics up to $2500? Or should I get, say, a matched pair of Earthworks QTCs and resign myself to carrying a little handheld Blumlein mount around?

thanks!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 11:38:38 AM »
Here's a stereo mic roundup thread.  See DSatz's post at the end for a summary of mics listed.  Don't know much about most of them, sorry to say.  But might be worth researching the list to see which may fit your budget / needs.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline sea-speak

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 12:56:44 PM »
Thanks for the links - most appreciated.

Sorry for the stoopid questions but: can a Rode NT4, a Studio Devices LSD2, and a Peluso P Stereo all be handheld (practically speaking) for recording - or do they need shockmounts? Are these all approximately equal in resistance to wind damage? Just trying to figure out what the practical constraints are.

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 01:20:04 PM »
As a general rule, omnis are much less affected by the wind than directional mics. 
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 07:44:26 AM »
I've never done any recording. ...
Today I spoke to a respected equipment modder (you can probably guess who) who said that the Tascam HD P2 provides a much better sense of soundstage/space/depth than the Sound Devices 702. He said that the 702 sounds killer on mono but not so much in stereo. Question 1: Can anyone confirm this or deny it? For sound quality alone, which deck will sound better in stereo on a serious playback system given the same mic?

I am sorry but that is just crock. While there are differences between the mic-pres, minor ones IMO, neither has superior soundstage/space/depth. Either is excellent and limited by

1. The mics you use with it.
2. The distance and position relative to the sound-source

Those two factors alone will completely swamp any differences between the D/As and mic-pres.

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 07:45:56 AM »
Thanks for the links - most appreciated.

Sorry for the stoopid questions but: can a Rode NT4, a Studio Devices LSD2, and a Peluso P Stereo all be handheld (practically speaking) for recording - or do they need shockmounts? Are these all approximately equal in resistance to wind damage? Just trying to figure out what the practical constraints are.

I have tried to hand-hold a NT4 on several occasions. It is very difficult to avoid handling noise...even your heartbeat through your hand :)

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline sea-speak

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 09:36:22 AM »
Ok - got it. So... what are some good 'low profile' mounts to hold a mic in the field? If you have recommendations for compact/lightweight mic stands for floor use that would also be really useful to me.

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 10:17:35 AM »
go with DPA 4020 series mics, high quality and little coloration and a true representation of the sound you are recording; as for the Tascam HDP2, do people actually run mics directly into that unit?  I can't think of a single taper or recording with that rig

Offline sea-speak

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 11:03:40 AM »
hi - are you suggesting a pair of (for example) 4021s? I think those would be a little out of my price range at the moment, sad to say. (A pair is like $3200 right?).

Are you saying as well that no one uses the Tascam or that they only use it with external mic pres?

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 11:08:01 AM »
Are you saying as well that no one uses the Tascam or that they only use it with external mic pres?

many people use the HD-P2.  most people who run mics directly into the unit have the pre-amps modified by Oade.  although there are a few people who run mics directly into the stock unit.  It is true that many people who run the HD-P2 (myself included) choose to use either and external pre and/or an external A/D.

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 11:23:16 AM »
hi - are you suggesting a pair of (for example) 4021s? I think those would be a little out of my price range at the moment, sad to say. (A pair is like $3200 right?).

these mics would be ideal for you as you have described the sound and size you seek, and you can get a used pair much cheaper than that, probably 2200 to 2600, and yes it seems most people run an external preamp in front of the Tascam unit it seems

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 11:26:22 AM »
I'll do my usual and throw out the option of the Milab VM44-link mics.  Excellent mics, very good price.  They've got a high-frequency bump that would probably be good for speech intelligibility as well as for recording at more of a distance.

Overall, I'd say that small, active cable style mics might be easier to cart around for your purposes, and having two separate mics might be more useful for conducting interviews than a single stereo mic.

The Milabs have a street price of $930, so a bit more than $1850 a pair, which might be in your range.  There also is a swedish taper on this board (brn2rn) who might be able to broker you a deal and get them for $300-400 less.  Just do a search on Milab and you should be able to find the relevant threads.

Also, from a portablity standpoint, you might want to look into the Fostex FR2le, especially one modded by Oade Bros.  For about $750 for the recorder + $1850 for the Milabs + a bit more for your bag, stand, cables, etc, you should be able to put together a very nice rig for interviews, home recording, ambient recording, etc for something in the range of $2800-3000 total, less if you can go thru brn2rn.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com