Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: what would you use? (almost a wishlist)  (Read 5788 times)

Offline touchofsound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Re:what would you use? (almost a wishlist)
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2003, 12:31:26 AM »

anders,

what do you mean by sound txcture?
budget-wise, i'm not really restricted, just need to get the job done right.  these recordings will be made in multiple venues of different sizes/shapes, so i am looking for gear that is somewhat versatile.

i've got a lot of feedback here (thank you everyone).  i've looked up a lot of the gear, but to me the lay person, it all tends to look the same, and i suppose to an extent some gear choices are made on personal preferences.  i've been leaning toward the mic/sbd mix.  if someone has the time to provide a mic to recording unit layout, i'd really appreciate it.

cpclark

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2003, 01:00:59 AM »
mics(1 or 2) -> microphone preamplifier -> analog to digital converter -> digital out via toslink, spdf, or aes -> dat deck, minidisc, harddrive recorder
-was that what you were looking for, if not let me know and i can provide more info

Offline touchofsound

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2003, 10:55:57 AM »

cp, thanks for that.   so as i go through the recommended gear, this is really where i'm at a loss.  for example.. mics.. Neuman, Gefell, AKGs.. these are all top-notch brands.   is there a way to choose between them?
and so on with the preamp and the converter.

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2003, 12:26:50 PM »

cp, thanks for that.   so as i go through the recommended gear, this is really where i'm at a loss.  for example.. mics.. Neuman, Gefell, AKGs.. these are all top-notch brands.   is there a way to choose between them?
and so on with the preamp and the converter.

That is the burning question.  As you can see all over this board, everyone loves their own stuff.  you need to dl some and listen.  the mics you mentioned are all great, the high end pre's will have a/d's on board.  if the band wants to go this big, you should be recording directly onto hd w/dat as a backup.

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline iphone

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2003, 02:40:56 PM »
"anders,

what do you mean by sound txcture?"

are you looking for a sound that is bright ,open and revealing or
colored,focused and musical pleasing?

"
budget-wise, i'm not really restricted, just need to get the job done right.  these recordings will be made in multiple venues of different sizes/shapes, so i am looking for gear that is somewhat versatile."

o.k ..here is a forum dedicated for remote work

http://gearslutz.com/board/forumdisplay.php3?s=&forumid=21

try and get some answers here as well.

Offline Kwonfidelity

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Press Record!!!
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2003, 03:06:25 PM »
"budget-wise, i'm not really restricted"

Hmmm...this one will be fun.

Of the top of my head...(This format is only for a stereo pair matched with the sbd)...

Source 1&2:  DPA 4041 (LR) > Grace 201 > Fostex d2424lv(ch1&2)
Source 3&4:  DPA 4011 (LR) > Grace 201 > Fostex d2424lv(ch3&4)
Source 5&6:  SBD(mains or subs) > Fostex d2424lv(ch5&6)
Source 7&8:  SBD(aux for backup) > Fostex d2424lv(ch7&8)

This system is designed for redundancy.  You don't ever want to be caught with your pants down when one of your audience sources fails or one of the sbds feeds burps, cracks, drops, etc.  12K plus I assume you're probably running a digital FOH mixer with array, don't fool with the delay, you can snip edit this directly onto the hard disk recorder.  All you have to do is snap to the front of the wav, find the delay and re-set the matrix - all in post and it should only take you a few minutes into post.  If you lose the 4041 source, you have the 4011 source.  If the 4041 source sounds better than the 4011 use it, and vice versa.  In addition, if you lose the main due to some type of anomolie, you have the aux sends, but need to make sure that the aux is getting full mixdown.   Of all the people doing this out there, there isn't enough emphasis on redundancy of the system.  The Fostex will accept 8 channels at 24/96 and it sounds crisp.    12K venues?  Jesus, find yourself a roadie to run a tension line somewhere near fob but flying them 30 feet above everyone's heads...you did say "budget-wise, i'm not really restricted" right?   ;D
Southern Recording, Inc.
High Fidelity Audio Capture

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.136 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com