Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 6)  (Read 116432 times)

Offline Mike Davis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 6)
« Reply #270 on: September 26, 2012, 01:53:07 PM »

The PCM-M10 can use 64GB SanDisk microSDXC cards, after they've been reformatted to FAT32!   ;D

See my post at the Head-Fi thread for the PCM-M10:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/456327/sony-pcm-m10-as-portable-player/120#post_8727898

Mike

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #271 on: September 26, 2012, 08:39:23 PM »

also can someone direct me or comment why i need cards and omnis. it seems most people use cards. is it determined on what you record and/or where you record?

This is widely discussed elsewhere--you might just search with terms like cards omnis. Here's my 2 cents.

It depends on your situation. If you want to focus on a sound in front of you and shut out sound behind you--as many people do when recording concerts with typically chatty audiences--then you'd probably favor cards pointed at the sound source, which is likely to be the PA system rather than the stage you are looking at.

If you want to get a more natural, three-dimensional sound, more like what your ears portray (although as aaronji has convinced me, ears are not exactly like omni mics), use omnis. Me, I prefer omnis--and keeping my distance from chatterboxes in the crowd.

adrianf74

« Reply #272 on: September 26, 2012, 09:03:11 PM »

also can someone direct me or comment why i need cards and omnis. it seems most people use cards. is it determined on what you record and/or where you record?

This is widely discussed elsewhere--you might just search with terms like cards omnis. Here's my 2 cents.

It depends on your situation. If you want to focus on a sound in front of you and shut out sound behind you--as many people do when recording concerts with typically chatty audiences--then you'd probably favor cards pointed at the sound source, which is likely to be the PA system rather than the stage you are looking at.

If you want to get a more natural, three-dimensional sound, more like what your ears portray (although as aaronji has convinced me, ears are not exactly like omni mics), use omnis. Me, I prefer omnis--and keeping my distance from chatterboxes in the crowd.

Exactly. Cards are good at deflecting a chatty crowd, however, the sound to my hears - IMHO - is anything but natural and this is why I usually roll with omnis in smaller clubs up close to the stacks (i.e., "stack taping").  The only time I run cards is when I'm in a larger arena where I'm further away from the sound source.  Considering I rarely go to arena shows, the omnis are my go to mics as well.

Offline stancourtney

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #273 on: September 27, 2012, 12:07:07 AM »
Mike Davis,

This is great news about reformatting to use the 64gb cards.

Thanks so much,

Stan

Offline Dominik

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #274 on: October 19, 2012, 10:11:14 AM »
Lately I started to use the mic-in more often. Does anybody know where the input limit of the mic-in is?
When I go line in and set it above 8 I somehow have the feeling the noisefloor increases (when I go at about 6-7 and up the volume in post the noisefloor isn't as high).

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #275 on: October 19, 2012, 02:23:05 PM »
Lately I started to use the mic-in more often. Does anybody know where the input limit of the mic-in is?
When I go line in and set it above 8 I somehow have the feeling the noisefloor increases (when I go at about 6-7 and up the volume in post the noisefloor isn't as high).
When you go "line in" what are you using? Battery box? Preamp? What kind of mics do you have? It sounds like something in your chain of "mic to recorder" may not be right. Could be as simple as a dying battery.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Dominik

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #276 on: October 19, 2012, 02:29:40 PM »
When you go "line in" what are you using? Battery box? Preamp? What kind of mics do you have? It sounds like something in your chain of "mic to recorder" may not be right. Could be as simple as a dying battery.

My rig is:
DPA 4061 > MM-MBM > SONY PCM-M10
The batteries are pretty new and still have enough power.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 02:54:21 PM by Dominik »

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #277 on: November 04, 2012, 05:15:04 PM »
There is a button on the front of the UA5 that is Stereo/Mono.  My guess is that could have been the issue?  I wouldn't want folks to think this was a M10 issue.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #278 on: November 04, 2012, 07:24:35 PM »
There is a button on the front of the UA5 that is Stereo/Mono.  My guess is that could have been the issue?  I wouldn't want folks to think this was a M10 issue.
That's doesn't effect output, just input
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #279 on: November 04, 2012, 08:33:46 PM »
If the input is only seen as mono by the UA5, how can the output be anything but a mono recording (albeit 2 channel)?  Ben described it as a mono stereo recording which I interpreted to mean the 2 channels were the same mono output.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #280 on: November 04, 2012, 10:27:16 PM »
The m10 doesn't record in MONO so it must have been an input issue. I think you're right that it would default to internal mics if the plug wasn't all the way connected.

Thank you willndmb!!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 11:36:02 PM by rastasean »
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #281 on: November 04, 2012, 11:07:21 PM »
The m10 doesn't record in stereo so it must have been an input issue. I think you're right that it would default to internal mics if the plug wasn't all the way connected.

Yes, thats verified correct ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #282 on: November 05, 2012, 09:15:06 PM »
If the input is only seen as mono by the UA5, how can the output be anything but a mono recording (albeit 2 channel)?  Ben described it as a mono stereo recording which I interpreted to mean the 2 channels were the same mono output.
he said the recording was mono but the ua5 when tested was passing stereo signal, so i am assuming he didn't press the button "on" to make the recording then again "off" for the test
that would be a lot of accidental pressing imo

The m10 doesn't record in stereo so it must have been an input issue. I think you're right that it would default to internal mics if the plug wasn't all the way connected.
since when does the m10 not record in stereo??
mine does, just tested it to see

what i think happened was the input plug wasn't in all the way as suspected by others BUT it didn't goto the internal mics, it only was picking up the 1 channel because the plug was only in far enough for one channel to make a connection
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 09:36:38 PM by willndmb »
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #283 on: November 05, 2012, 11:36:54 PM »

since when does the m10 not record in stereo??
mine does, just tested it to see

that was a big goof on my part, thanks!
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline le.puppet

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #284 on: November 14, 2012, 10:06:51 PM »
I've been thinking about getting a PCM-M10.
My main use would be with a lapel microphone (probably the AT atr3350) and not the built in ones.
I researched a lot (in the beggining I was thinkin about the H4n haha), but there were 2 questions I couldn't answer:

- Will the pre amps on the PCM m10 work on the atr 3350 ( with 3.5 mm jack) or they only work on the built in microphones?
- Will the recording improve if I get the PCM m10 or, for example, a dr-07 mkii? I mean, since the microphone isn't that good, wouldn't the recorder make little difference in the quality? Os would it be smarter to buy better mics and a not so good recorder?

That's actually 3 questions haha.
Thanks in advance.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com