Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AV Receiver Question  (Read 4214 times)

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
AV Receiver Question
« on: December 13, 2011, 09:21:46 AM »
I finally took a step into the HDTV age and ordered a new TV to replace my 36" Sony Wega.  As I feared, taking this step also required me to get a new receiver, and of course I threw a blu-ray player into the order as well.  Now that everything is en route, I discovered that the receiver doesn't have an antenna/RF input.  I don't have cable -- just a nice antenna with which I get more than enough channels to make myself happy.  The TV I ordered (LG 55LW6500) can accept the coax from the antenna, but I would really like to set everything up "properly" by routing everything directly into the receiver and then just having the one HDMI output to the TV.  As it is now, it looks like I'll have to route the antenna direct to the TV and then run coax digital audio to the receiver.  Maybe that will work just fine (?), but I'm sure controlling everything will be less efficient.  Is there a way to adapt/convert the coax from the antenna directly into the receiver in a way that won't degrade the quality any?

For reference, the receiver is the Yamaha RX-V571, and there is a high-res photo of the back of it here:  http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/yamaha_rx_v571.jpg
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: AV Receiver Question
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 09:31:10 AM »
I think the receiver would have to have a OTA tuner to accomplish that.

You might be able to go HDMI from the TV to the receiver...as an alternative to coax.

Nothing "improper" about your setup.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 09:35:56 AM by runonce »

Offline mattmiller

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 09:45:50 AM »
You might be able to go HDMI from the TV to the receiver...as an alternative to coax.

Wouldn't that be sending the video back to the receiver (along with the audio) unnecessarily?  Basically creating a loop of the video from the TV to the receiver and then back to the TV?  I was thinking that the video part was set, via the coax/antenna into the TV, and I just needed to get the audio to the receiver to output to the surround speakers.  And while this should work, I just didn't know if there was a better way that would utilize the receiver in the more traditional way of "receiving" all of the AV signals directly and then distributing them to the monitor/speakers.

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 09:50:02 AM »
I think the receiver would have to have a OTA tuner to accomplish that.

Nothing "improper" about your setup.

Agreed.  Coax from the antenna requires conversion to become HDMI so you will need an OTA HD converter box.  Pricy and bulky. I'd stick with optical or HDMI out of the TV into the receiver.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 09:54:29 AM by bhadella »
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

Offline Gil

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 10:32:10 AM »
I finally took a step into the HDTV age and ordered a new TV to replace my 36" Sony Wega.  As I feared, taking this step also required me to get a new receiver, and of course I threw a blu-ray player into the order as well.  Now that everything is en route, I discovered that the receiver doesn't have an antenna/RF input.  I don't have cable -- just a nice antenna with which I get more than enough channels to make myself happy.  The TV I ordered (LG 55LW6500) can accept the coax from the antenna, but I would really like to set everything up "properly" by routing everything directly into the receiver and then just having the one HDMI output to the TV.  As it is now, it looks like I'll have to route the antenna direct to the TV and then run coax digital audio to the receiver.  Maybe that will work just fine (?), but I'm sure controlling everything will be less efficient.  Is there a way to adapt/convert the coax from the antenna directly into the receiver in a way that won't degrade the quality any?

For reference, the receiver is the Yamaha RX-V571, and there is a high-res photo of the back of it here:  http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/yamaha_rx_v571.jpg

Don't sweat it. We use rabbit ears and send the audio to the receiver over--dun dun dun--analog. Heck, for most television, I end up using the tv's speakers.
"Let's go do some crimes."

"To his mind, an opportunity to insult a successful ape came from the hand of Providence."

Teac ME-80(cards & omnis), AT943(hypers)>Tascam DR-2d

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 02:29:45 PM »
just run an optical cable from the tv to the receiver, problem solved.  you shouldnt have any signal degradation, nor lag, plus the 5.1 tv shows/movies will be in dolby.

Offline mattmiller

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 02:33:34 PM »
just run an optical cable from the tv to the receiver, problem solved.  you shouldnt have any signal degradation, nor lag, plus the 5.1 tv shows/movies will be in dolby.

Yep, it's working just fine like this.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 02:54:27 PM »

You know what I would fear more than anything? Having to move that dam Wega lol.. I had to sell my wega for $50 just to get someone to pick it up and move it 250lbs is nuts... You can do it by routing everything HDMI to your reviver or what I do is send audio to the reviver and HDMI to the tv and use a universal programmable remote that has multi function abilities like the Logitech products. And I press a single button and everything is roughed the way I want .
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline mattmiller

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 07:58:02 PM »
Quote from: Church-Audio
You know what I would fear more than anything? Having to move that dam Wega lol.. I had to sell my wega for $50 just to get someone to pick it up and move it 250lbs is nuts...

Yeah, I'm fully prepared to give it away on Craigslist if I can't find a family member to take it.  The thing is unbelievably heavy and just about impossible to get a good grip on it to lift it, even with a couple of people.

You can do it by routing everything HDMI to your reviver or what I do is send audio to the reviver and HDMI to the tv and use a universal programmable remote that has multi function abilities like the Logitech products. And I press a single button and everything is roughed the way I want .

I've got the Harmony One that I'm sure I'll reprogram for these new components once I'm satisfied that I have everything set up just the way I want it.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 09:58:05 PM »
You know what I would fear more than anything? Having to move that dam Wega lol.. I had to sell my wega for $50 just to get someone to pick it up and move it 250lbs is nuts...

Yeah, I'm fully prepared to give it away on Craigslist if I can't find a family member to take it.  The thing is unbelievably heavy and just about impossible to get a good grip on it to lift it, even with a couple of people.

You can do it by routing everything HDMI to your reviver or what I do is send audio to the reviver and HDMI to the tv and use a universal programmable remote that has multi function abilities like the Logitech products. And I press a single button and everything is roughed the way I want .

I've got the Harmony One that I'm sure I'll reprogram for these new components once I'm satisfied that I have everything set up just the way I want it.

There is 4 handles on that tv two in the bottom two in the back 4 guys no problem. I had two guys take this tv I had but they were in serious pain.... And they almost dropped it good thing they did not. GREAT TV but way to heavy...
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com