Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Making matrixes  (Read 3476 times)

Offline shill88

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Making matrixes
« on: November 16, 2010, 12:57:57 PM »
i want to make more matrixes, but i don't want to step on toes or put out shit products. would anyone that knows what theyre doing (moreso than me anyways) care to show me the ropes?

i use adobe audition 3.0 for my audio work, fwiw

also, i dont have an audio major or anything, but i know a few things, i think i have a pretty good ear & i pay good attention to details.

Offline shill88

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Making matrixes
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 12:58:49 PM »
my fault, i missed the sticky literally right above my thread pertaining to matrixes.

apologies

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 01:01:52 PM »
i want to make more matrixes, but i don't want to step on toes or put out shit products.

Are you making matrices from your own tapes or using other's recordings? 

Offline shill88

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 01:07:05 PM »
i want to make more matrixes, but i don't want to step on toes or put out shit products.

Are you making matrices from your own tapes or using other's recordings?

others, but permissions have been requested

Offline shill88

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 04:24:48 PM »
ok, so the matrix guideline seemed to be more for actually recording a matrix mix, rather than mixing them after the fact.

my questions are basically about how much of a ratio should i use between the AUD and the SBD.  is it all preference?  are there standards?

also, what are people's thoughts on hard limiting, even when keeping clipping under 0.1%?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 04:28:31 PM by shill88 »

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 03:42:31 AM »
Most of my matrixes end up being about 50/50 AUD/SBD.  Sometimes a little more one way or the other depending on the flavor of the room.   If the SBD feed is just vocals and kickdrum, then 3db more AUD then SBD.  If it's a solo acoustic thing, sometimes 6db more SBD than AUD.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline batchain

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 03:15:55 PM »
I generally start with the AUD and add just enough of the SBD to clean up the vocals. Often, in a larger the club with everything running through the SBD, I may do the reverse and add in just enough AUD to lend a wetter/livelier sound. Good points by SmokinJoe. Very close to what I end up doing most times.  It's all what sounds right to you, as tastes vary, but I personally hate dry SBD only recordings.
Primary: Peluso CEMC6/CK-4/CK-21 > Fostex FR2-LE or Tascam DR-680
Secondary: Edirol R09-HR

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 04:17:54 PM »
I generally start with the AUD and add just enough of the SBD to clean up the vocals.

Also what I do.  One thing I don't like about a lot of people's matrices are overwhelming vocals, and so I try to avoid that when I mix sources together.  I usually end up with about 60% AUD and 40% SBD. 

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 02:03:30 PM »
As noted, the AUD to SBD ratio is going to be dependant on a lot of external factors, such as whether some/all of the instruments are miked, how good the room PA sounds in general, how hot things like the kick drum and other instruments are in the SBD, how "chatty" the room was with reference to where your mics were, and many other things.  It really comes down to what you think sounds best.  Some recordings only need a little SBD to bring up vocal clarity, and others need a lot more help, if the room sound or mic location were not optimal.

You may want to consider some compression on the SBD, particularly if the kick drum (and/or keys) are way hotter than the vocals.  Otherwise, you will be stuck with a potentially overbearing kick when you are just trying to get some vocal reinforcement.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com