Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recording SBD using Zoom H2  (Read 11703 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Recording SBD using Zoom H2
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2023, 02:39:33 PM »
Right, so I would need a male cable?

To record a stereo balanced line-out from the SBD via XLR, the SDB end of the interconnect(s) should have two female XLR connectors. 

The connector(s) needed at the other end of the interconnect depends on the inputs of your recorder.  If the inputs are mono XLR, then male.  If the inputs are 2 mono balanced TRS, then male.  If the inputs are a stereo mini-jack, than 3.5mm male.. but in that case how the cable(s) are wired to the 3.5mm TRS mini-plug then becomes an important detail.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Dan33185

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://www.midwestsoundsrecordings.com/
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2023, 03:41:39 PM »
Take a look at this photo. The four the left are inputs; the two on the right are outputs

Aha, that makes more sense...guess I'm more of a visual person  :lol: Thanks for the help, I think I've got down what I need now.
AUD: Zoom H2
SBD: Tascam DR-60D

Make the best out of the equipment you have, something is better than nothing!

Midwest Sounds Recordings
North Country Sounds

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2023, 03:47:30 PM »
Take a look at this photo. The four the left are inputs; the two on the right are outputs

Aha, that makes more sense...guess I'm more of a visual person  :lol: Thanks for the help, I think I've got down what I need now.

This is what you need
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline Dan33185

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2023, 03:51:31 PM »
This is my cart right now, I figured it wouldn't hurt to get the male connector just in case I run into that situation.

North Country Sounds

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2023, 04:37:55 PM »
If the inputs [to your recorder] are a stereo mini-jack, than 3.5mm male.. but in that case how the cable(s) are wired to the 3.5mm TRS mini-plug then becomes an important detail.
^
To clarify that detail..

It's really unfortunate that most listings for those kind of balanced 2 x XLR > unbalanced TRS stereo-mini plug interconnect cables don't indicate how they are wired.  One of the photos should be a simple circuit diagram.  Hopefully the negative pin (pin 3) of each XLR is left unconnected. That wiring scheme will work with most modern mixing board outputs using electronically-balanced outputs (where each leg of the balanced circuit is referenced to ground). 

However, just so you all are aware, that wiring scheme won't work when connecting to outputs that are transformer-balanced.  In that case the positive and negative legs of the balanced circuit (pin 2, pin 3) form a circuit through the transformer winding and are floating with respect to ground, so an open circuit due to a unconnected pin 3 won't work.

Simple take on this here- More on cable wiring - balanced to unbalanced - Sweetwater

[edit-
Specifically, the wiring for connecting separate, electronically-balanced, XLR left and XLR right outputs to an unbalanced stereo TRS input should be as follows:

Left channel XLR Pin 1 (ground) to TRS sleeve. XLR Pin 2 (positive) to TRS tip. XLR Pin 3 (negative) to no connection.

Right channel XLR Pin 1 (ground) to TRS sleeve. XLR Pin 2 (positive) to TRS ring. XLR Pin 3 (negative) to no connection.]
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 04:52:06 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Dan33185

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2023, 04:53:43 PM »
One more question...do I need to adjust my recording volume when recording off a SBD, or will it just record at whatever level the SBD is outputting? If I do need to set a volume, what is recommended with a -10db attenuator? The Zoom goes from 1-100 I believe, I usually record at 90-95 when recording audio depending on my position.

North Country Sounds

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2023, 08:10:01 PM »
You will need to set levels just as when using any other input. Hard to know in advance how much gain the FOH console applies to output, so be ready to be nimble fingered.
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline roffels

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2023, 08:22:23 PM »
Having a recorder that lets you adjust levels remotely or a 32-bit float recorder helps a ton. I wouldn't want to do a board feed without these modern conveniences but I know most folks here didn't have that option originally

Offline Dan33185

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2023, 12:51:03 PM »
Just wanted to say thanks for the help in this thread, I was able to figure out what I needed and made my first SBD recording last night, which turned out great (sample below). I had a lot of nervousness approaching the sound guy for a feed, but he was really great about it and made it easy for me. I'm sure they won't all go that easy, but it was a good first experience.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KSbLXYTOh76J1vw010XyfDDhvLDf0BcS/view?usp=sharing

North Country Sounds

Offline roffels

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2023, 04:55:54 PM »
Just wanted to say thanks for the help in this thread, I was able to figure out what I needed and made my first SBD recording last night, which turned out great (sample below). I had a lot of nervousness approaching the sound guy for a feed, but he was really great about it and made it easy for me. I'm sure they won't all go that easy, but it was a good first experience.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KSbLXYTOh76J1vw010XyfDDhvLDf0BcS/view?usp=sharing

We're both in Minnesota, I presume. If it helps put you at ease, the sound engineers have all been pretty chill with me to date. I just started with board recordings in the past year and aside from an issue with a manager at a larger venue around here, it's been good.

Offline Dan33185

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2023, 05:04:42 PM »

We're both in Minnesota, I presume. If it helps put you at ease, the sound engineers have all been pretty chill with me to date. I just started with board recordings in the past year and aside from an issue with a manager at a larger venue around here, it's been good.

Yeah, I'm in MN as well. I rarely go to larger venues (most are under a few hundred), so in general they seem way more laid back than a First Avenue or something of that size. A lot of it probably depends on attitude as well, I always make it clear to the artist or anytime someone at the venue asks me about recording that I don't do it for money or any kind of gain, and am always willing to stop if it becomes an issue. Most artists I record though seem happy anyone cares enough to, which is cool.

North Country Sounds

Offline roffels

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2023, 08:28:17 PM »

Yeah, I'm in MN as well. I rarely go to larger venues (most are under a few hundred), so in general they seem way more laid back than a First Avenue or something of that size. A lot of it probably depends on attitude as well, I always make it clear to the artist or anytime someone at the venue asks me about recording that I don't do it for money or any kind of gain, and am always willing to stop if it becomes an issue. Most artists I record though seem happy anyone cares enough to, which is cool.

Yeah, i havent had anyone question my motives. Just someone at First Ave that got worked up about me clamping to a rail before any of the music started. It's a cool hobby. If I see you around, I'll be sure to say hi!

Offline Dan33185

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2023, 10:04:27 PM »
Alright, second effort wasn't as successful. I went to hook up to the soundboard and realized there were no XLR ports for me to hook in to. I'll attach a picture of the board and model, not sure if anyone has experience recording off this type of board, I'm not sure what I'd need in the future for this.

North Country Sounds

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2023, 12:40:38 AM »
A pair of Hosa Technology GXP246 Stereo Male 1/4" Phone to Male 3-Pin XLR Adapters will work, plug into the 'main' outs. Then plug your existing adapter in and you're good.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/252359-REG/Hosa_Technology_GXP_246_GXP246_Stereo_Phone_to.html?ap=y&smp=y&smpm=ba_f2_ll&srsltid=Ad5pg_E4ghC3XSm_JyV_yZkIOln5Vu0WEfn6GghFPS6HsbnvDDCZpfdsAIc

You might want to put together a SBD adapters kit, so you can get signal in any situation with any house gear. Dumped mine out on the desk, pics below. I've slowly added to the bag, may be some duplication, but it's a small thing compared to the total mass of stuff I lug into the venue...

Pic 1:
1: 2 x xlrf to 1/8m like you have
2: 2 x rcam to 1/8f
3: 10db attenuating 2 x rcam to 1/8m
4: 10' 1/8m to 1/8m
5: 18" 1/8m to 1/8m
6: Hosa Male TRS 1/4" to XLRM I recommend above
  pic 2
7: 1/4trs to rcaf - the 2 of em are above and below #8
8: 1/4trs to 1/8f - headphone converter, a couple times I've had to run headphone out, ugh
9: rcaf to rcaf gender converters
10: 2 x rcaf to 1/8 male
11: 1/8f to 1/9f gender converter
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 12:44:58 AM by checht »
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline Dan33185

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2023, 10:33:42 AM »
A pair of Hosa Technology GXP246 Stereo Male 1/4" Phone to Male 3-Pin XLR Adapters will work, plug into the 'main' outs. Then plug your existing adapter in and you're good.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/252359-REG/Hosa_Technology_GXP_246_GXP246_Stereo_Phone_to.html?ap=y&smp=y&smpm=ba_f2_ll&srsltid=Ad5pg_E4ghC3XSm_JyV_yZkIOln5Vu0WEfn6GghFPS6HsbnvDDCZpfdsAIc

You might want to put together a SBD adapters kit, so you can get signal in any situation with any house gear. Dumped mine out on the desk, pics below. I've slowly added to the bag, may be some duplication, but it's a small thing compared to the total mass of stuff I lug into the venue...

Pic 1:
1: 2 x xlrf to 1/8m like you have
2: 2 x rcam to 1/8f
3: 10db attenuating 2 x rcam to 1/8m
4: 10' 1/8m to 1/8m
5: 18" 1/8m to 1/8m
6: Hosa Male TRS 1/4" to XLRM I recommend above
  pic 2
7: 1/4trs to rcaf - the 2 of em are above and below #8
8: 1/4trs to 1/8f - headphone converter, a couple times I've had to run headphone out, ugh
9: rcaf to rcaf gender converters
10: 2 x rcaf to 1/8 male
11: 1/8f to 1/9f gender converter

Funny enough, that was the first thing that ran through my mind once I realized I didn't have the right cable, "I need to make sure I have every possible connection so I never have to worry about that happening again". So your list is a huge help, I'll look through it and try to find as much as I can, thanks!

EDIT- I had another singer I want to record send me her SBD, and this is what it looks like. I would just plug in to the top right, correct?

And would it matter which cable goes in to which port (L/R)?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 10:55:08 AM by Dan33185 »

North Country Sounds

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com