Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Putting together two AUDs to make one good (better) one...  (Read 2010 times)

Offline attheshow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Putting together two AUDs to make one good (better) one...
« on: April 29, 2007, 05:02:21 AM »
Hey,

Thanks in advance for any help I can get on this... Here's the deal... I just got my hands on a circulating AUD recording of a show that I was at (and taped). My version is currently unreleased, but I'm gearing up to change that. Listening to the currently circulating version, it's clear that what I have is an upgrade to what's "out there" now, but I'm thinking that I may be able to cover some of the audience noise in my recording (and therefore make it better) by splicing in sections of the other recording of the same show. Can anyone offer some tips, links to howtos or software suggestions? (I prefer MAC, but can run XP)

Frankly, am I better off just trying to find someone who already knows what they're doing to do this for me? I'm interested in learning, but don't want to waste lots of time if I don't stand much chance of getting decent results without years of experience.  :-\

Mics: MM-HLSC-1, ECM-737, ECM-719
Recorders: R09, MZ-RH1, MZ-R70, MBP
BBox: Greenmachine DIY, CA-UBB (on the way!)

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • half dead batteries
Re: Putting together two AUDs to make one good (better) one...
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 12:09:40 PM »
the big gotcha you will face is clock drift from the 2 different ADC processes in the original sources.

you will need a multitrack application, load 1 source intact (not tracked out) and then load the other source tracked out.
you will manually have to go through each song indivdiually aligning up the time values (you will often find a song syncs perfectly at the beginning, but the time is off by a few ms at the end).
depending on the application used, a "time stretch" function is probably best used to stretch/shrink the tracked out source to match the untracked source. this can be a very nerve racking/time consuming proposition.

I cant readily think of any apps on the Mac side with the time stretch plugin (if only because I havent looked) but I would imagine Cubase would as it is a Steinberg product and Wavelab (a PC Steinberg product) does have the plugin.

the water's clean and innocent

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 01:01:21 PM »
More channels does not necessarily mean better.   

You should try to work on it on your own.  It's fun and you'll learn a heck of alot.  Do not be scared trying to do it yourself. 

I would tell you to try and work on your own recording and forget the other one.  Try some different software.  Lots of tutorials and suggestions on all sorts of different programs out there.  Some cost $$$, some offers trials and some are free.  Just always keep a master copy.  I suspect that you'll be much happier in the end if you learn to and do the work yourself.  If you get stuck just ask, lots of people willing to help.  It is not as daunting as it may seem, I promise.

Keep us updated as well!

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 07:11:18 AM »

But... "This one goes to 11."  ;D

No, more doesn't mean better, but it does give you more choices when it comes to the source you want to use. However, using 3 sets of core sound mics spread around the building isn't necessarily going to get you a better recording than somebody using the right technique and better mics.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 03:40:34 PM »

But... "This one goes to 11."  ;D

No, more doesn't mean better, but it does give you more choices when it comes to the source you want to use. However, using 3 sets of core sound mics spread around the building isn't necessarily going to get you a better recording than somebody using the right technique and better mics.

Wayne

You are such a rockstar Wayne!   :)   Can you sense the jealousy in my typing voice.  Its there I promise. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com