Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Loss of frequency range recoring line in to the MacBookPro(Sound Studio 3 trial)  (Read 1607 times)

Offline attheshow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
I've made two recordings with two different mics (both self powered) going into the line in jack of my MacBookPro. In both cases the captured frequency range (as seen in an analysis in audacity) is significantly smaller than what I get with the same mic in the same place when attached to my HiMD. I want to use the MBP for recording at times to take advantage of the higher sample rate and bit rate, but I've got to work this out first. Is this a limitation of the a/d converter in the MBP? A limitation of Sound Studio (or specifically, its trial)? Is there a good alternative software or hardware solution that won't break the bank? (maybe $100 or less)

TIA.
Mics: MM-HLSC-1, ECM-737, ECM-719
Recorders: R09, MZ-RH1, MZ-R70, MBP
BBox: Greenmachine DIY, CA-UBB (on the way!)

Offline bhakti

• Taperssection Regular
just a guess, but perhaps its your soundcard in your Mac? makes sense.

Offline attheshow

• Taperssection Regular
It could be. I haven't been able to find any info about the internal soundcard and its range... I was hoping someone else here might know. If it is the internal soundcard, is there an external soundcard that will work in the 100.00 or less price range?

Offline JWard

• Taperssection Regular
  • The Hightailers - Gulf Coast Roots Rock
    • Tapir Productions
What you want is a firewire or USB audio interface, or an audio interface that connects via the express card slot on your MBP.  There are literally hundreds of these devices on the market, so peruse the various on-line retailers.  However, you may be better off with something like a Microtrack or R-09 or something similar, especially if you're going to be recording 2-channels and not multitracking.  You'll spend less money and won't have to take your MBP into a venue.
There’s three ways to do things: the right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way....Isn’t that the wrong way?....Yeah, but faster!

Offline attheshow

• Taperssection Regular
Yeah, I'm only running 2 ch stereo right now... Don't have the skills to mix more yet. I was hoping to take advantage of the fact that I already have the MBP to save money over a standalone device. I guess I'll just stick to the MZ-RH1 until my budget allows something better. Thanks.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com