Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA-5 transfer help  (Read 6115 times)

wrangler_n_space

• Trade Count: (0)
UA-5 transfer help
« on: June 19, 2003, 05:53:03 PM »
Ok so i am atempting to transfer my first dat. With the nomad i have not realy ever need the capability of transfering, and when i did i had a bitch for the that job. Now that i have a ua-5 i would like to transfer some old shows on dat that i have and mainly a new Jerry Joseph from last night that my buddy got a sbd patch for.

I have the pcm-m1 pluged into the coaxial in and the ua-5 is installed and hooked up via usb.

What do i do next?

Offline jewgrass

• Taperssection Regular
  • Let's hear it for my band, Sexual Chocolate!
    • My concert pics
Re:UA-5 transfer help
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2003, 06:12:54 PM »
Are the drivers for the ua5 installed?  If so, open Wavelab or whatever software you like, and select the usb audio as your input, hit record on the software, play on the dat, and you should be golden.  Oh yeah, make sure the recording source button is set to digital.

If you need more details, just ask...
"There's really only 3 kinds of beer in the world.  Warm beer.  Cold beer.  And NO beer."

wrangler_n_space

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2003, 06:24:50 PM »
That got it thanks.
+t

Offline jewgrass

• Taperssection Regular
  • Let's hear it for my band, Sexual Chocolate!
    • My concert pics
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2003, 06:35:42 PM »
cool, have fun!
"There's really only 3 kinds of beer in the world.  Warm beer.  Cold beer.  And NO beer."

oniontaper

Re: UA-5 transfer help
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 12:13:46 PM »
Hi there,
I am also new to the whole taping / transferring deal.
I have a question regarding the UA-5 for transfers, I am using a da-30mkII > UA-5 (coax in) > PC (via USB) capturing the sound with goldwave or audacity. Now my question is, would it be better to splurge and buy the $99.00 audiophile 24/96 soundcard? or is the sound the same using the UA-5?
Thanks J

Offline mirth

• Needs to get out more...
  • Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 12:18:22 PM »
The UA-5's digi ins are not bit perfect, so if this matters to you you're better off getting the audiophile.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 02:48:49 PM »
If you have an optical out you can transfer to a JB3, bit perfect at 16.44.1 or 16/48.  I'd buy a $130 JB3 before dropping a hundred on a soundcard if all you want it for is digital transfers.  I also hear that the M-audio Transit is a bit perfect USB audio interface and goes for just $70!
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

oniontaper

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2004, 08:05:50 PM »
If you have an optical out you can transfer to a JB3, bit perfect at 16.44.1 or 16/48.  I'd buy a $130 JB3 before dropping a hundred on a soundcard if all you want it for is digital transfers.  I also hear that the M-audio Transit is a bit perfect USB audio interface and goes for just $70!
I am mostly intrested in doing my transfers for cd making so there is no need for a JB3 (although I would love to have one) is the M-audio Transit like the JB3? When I got into taping I was under the impression that DAT was the only way, and all the storage devices were of a lossy compression usually of mp3 quality, boy was i wrong there.
So I guess for the best quality cd's I should bite down and get the soundcard??

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2004, 09:06:51 AM »
Because you're doing digital transfers the device you're after is simply a way of moving the data.  The Transit is a USB interface - it takes a digital in and moves it to your pc via USB.  With the Transit, you 'record' onto your hard drive and then master the cd.  With the JB3, you 'record' onto the JB3, then transfer to the computer (via firewire or USB).

Neither employs any kind of compression.

Where a real soundcard might be warranted is if you plan on using analog inputs or if you're using the analog output on a high quality playback system.  If you go elsewhere to listen to your music then there's really no need.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

oniontaper

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2004, 11:19:34 AM »
very informative, thanks for your help guys ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com