Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: what type of speakers do YOU use for mixing  (Read 8914 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
what type of speakers do YOU use for mixing
« on: March 31, 2019, 06:34:55 AM »
i eqd some recent samples on my 8" KRK rokits and brought it home played them for my wife on our 10" dynaudios and she frowned at almost every one, said they were too bassy. both are near field monitors but the response on the dynaudios digs way deeper

maybe shes just crazy and likes her sound thin? the 4099s un-eq'd were her favorite, which is certainly not mine, i liked the 4061+4099 mix the best (see this as well as subsequent posts: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=181868.msg2295287#msg2295287)

wondering if i need to change up my game and start mixing on the dynaudios, but wonder if what sounds good on those will sound too thin on smaller systems and headphones. what do you guys do?

Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
Re: what type of speakers do YOU use for mixing
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 11:10:01 AM »
what do you guys do?

I don't have a wife.

;)
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 06:22:59 PM »
listen to the wife. the gals have better hearing than we do.

Offline rumbleseat

• Taperssection Regular
    • Sonicsational Audio
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 08:57:19 PM »
This will sound whack, but I do the final check in the driver's seat of my 2013 Grand Caravan (with the standard edition sound system, bass at -3).
I found that I couldn't rely on any one of the several sets of speakers that I have in my house.  If the 100 Hz bass is not adjusted spot-on, it will sound very thin or way too boomy in the car, while it might sound fine on other speakers.
In the past year or so, I've started to rely more on visually EQing shows using the Voxengo SPAN spectrum analyzer plug-in.  Once you get a feel for what a properly EQ'ed show looks like, you can dial it in without even listening to it.  With tinnitus and old age, it's nice to not have to rely on tired ears!
AKG C480B CK61 cards or AKG C568EB or Church CA-11 cards >  Canare L-4E6S with Neutrik EMC > Tascam DR-680 MKII or DR-44WL > memories

Online goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 10:15:18 AM »

I mix on Acoustic Research M2 bookshelf two ways + Polk 8 inch powered sub. Juice supplied to the speakers by a Hafler power amp and DA conversion by a Focusrite Scarlett. Pretty clean but the ARs are a tad bright.

I usually test out the mix on my soundbar with sub in the living room and my Sennheiser HD280 cans before letting it go out.

I don't worry about the car stereo or ear bud test.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 12:25:28 PM »
This is the single biggest challenge in the post production of taper recordings IMO.  It's why mastering guys are valuable experts use dedicated rooms to do what they do.

I've still not figured out a good answer other than to listen on different systems, try to figure out what translates best across them in general, and learning to mix toward that.  Takes iterative trial and error, and you need to readdress the process again once you change your monitoring.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 12:36:15 PM »
I used to do almost all my post work in headphones. I have since moved to

C-Note Bookshelf
https://www.parts-express.com/c-note-mt-bookshelf-speaker-kit-pair-with-knock-down-cabinets--300-7140

I feed these from an Adcom Pre and 2 channel Amp combo with a Grace SDAC from the PC

they bookshelves sit on my desk split about 6feet toed in towards my chair

I think it gives me a little more to work with. much easier than with headphones
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 01:09:19 PM »
Listening on a bunch of different systems and looking for uniformity, such as it can be had.  Make note of your room modes, while they are a problem, they can also give perspective.  Figure out where your biggest bass is, your weakest bass, etc, and always listen from those spots as well as your sweet spot. 

I've got JBL 705P's and Alesis Monitor One's in my studio space, Klipsch La Scala and Advent 2002's at home.    Oh, and a pair of different sized Wohler broadcast monitors, really tiny speakers in 1RU and 2RU boxes, meant for broadcast facility signal path cueing and checks.  If it sounds right on those, it probably sounds right just about anywhere. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 10:01:38 PM by EmRR »
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

Offline Ronmac

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 01:58:20 PM »
The space is way more important than the speaker you use.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 03:45:42 PM »
Nah.  Crappy speakers will still be crappy in a great room.  Conversely, you can do a lot to mitigate room problems by appropriate positioning of good speakers in a less than good room.  Primarily that means sitting close enough to them so that you are monitoring in the nearfield, with walls and other reflecting stuff farther away than your are from the speakers.

It's no substitute for good speakers setup properly in a good room, but nearfield monitoring helps overcome many room issues.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2019, 08:10:14 PM »
This is why I basically do no eqing when "mastering" my tapes, EQ is so playback dependent that it's almost not worth it, I suppose the exception is to do provide some eq to counteract the non linear known aspect of any given microphone (schoeps mk4v comes to mind).

Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2019, 09:44:11 PM »
This is why I basically do no eqing when "mastering" my tapes, EQ is so playback dependent that it's almost not worth it, I suppose the exception is to do provide some eq to counteract the non linear known aspect of any given microphone (schoeps mk4v comes to mind).

I find myself approaching EQ from the perspective of correcting issues that were in the venue and/or mix, rather than trying to EQ for playback, if that makes sense.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 09:46:03 AM by heathen »
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2019, 09:50:48 PM »

Front-loaded sealed boxes with soft dome tweeters. (Dual 8", 5" and a 1" dome)
From up close, so close that I'm way off axis unless I scoot back.
I mix pretty soft. Comfortable volume, not loud.
Sometimes I check my work in headphones if I am not certain or need to tell a couple similar mixes apart and choose one.

10" woofers are gonna be way boomy. I wonder if your mixes sound thin on everything else?

Good point. Traditional EQ also causes phase shift. Do you really need to do that?
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2019, 09:24:28 AM »
^ It's not really the size of the woofers but flatness in the bass response that matters, and bass range is more speaker/room-interaction dependant than mids/highs.  Using speakers with a rolled-off bass response may avoid a speaker or room-related problem in that range, but "flies blind" with regards to balancing the mix down there.

Good point. Traditional EQ also causes phase shift. Do you really need to do that?

You might. Phase shift isn't necessarily wrong in itself, and may well be corrective.

But in general, unless one becomes really comfortable with how mixes translate elsewhere, Noah's approach is the safe route and has much merit.  Also helps other tapers comparing gear, which is nice if not the primary intent of most of our recordings.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2019, 01:01:11 PM »
EQ is also, to a large extent, a matter of personal preference.  I like quite a bit more low-end than my wife, for example.  I EQ towards my tastes and playback gear, figuring that someone else can always re-EQ my recording to suit their gear/taste later.  I also try to buy mics that fit well with what I like and apply a light touch in post.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.113 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com