Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Holy reference levels, Batman!  (Read 1485 times)

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Holy reference levels, Batman!
« on: April 05, 2005, 02:26:55 PM »
A buddy of mine is in town for a few days and brought his Channel Islands DAC (w/ power supply) with him for some fun. Since he didn't bring his passive pre and I don't have one (my volume control is part of the DAC), we just decided to let 'er rip. The modified chain was computer > Sek'd Prodif Plus > coax > Channel Islands DAC1 (or whatever the model # is) > Kimber RCA > PS Audio HCA-2 > crappy 14g speaker cable > VR-1s

I didn't think my VR-1s could do this ... there is some sweet bass at these levels. At my normal listening levels, I often noticed a lack of bass - not so here. I realized that these actually CAN fill my room. However, this listening level got uncomfortable after about 10 minutes. I'd estimate that we were in the 100+ dB range, though without a meter, I can't prove anything. The sound also got fatiguing after that time - it sounded like the VR-1s were trying too hard to move that much air.

Still, a fun experiment, but unfortunately we can't really compare his DAC in my system because of it.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Holy reference levels, Batman!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 05:37:46 PM »
how do you like that Channel Islands DAC?

I'm about to start shaking the apartment myself 8)

A friend from school asked me to burn some GD for her... I asked if there was anything in particular that she was looking for and this was her reply, "I kind of like the big jam songs where they just go a little crazy.  But whatever you like best is cool."

;D

that is an order I can fill :)

I'm giving her 3-1-69, 3-31-73, 11-21-73, and 9-10-91 8)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com