Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Monarchy Audio DAC  (Read 2020 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
New Monarchy Audio DAC
« on: February 10, 2006, 07:06:38 AM »
looks like those Lite DACs...
but this has a preamp as well.  interesting...
wonder if its any good.  $1500 says I wont find out.
http://www.monarchyaudio.com/

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Re: New Monarchy Audio DAC
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 07:24:59 AM »
It does look similar.  Probably made in the same factory on a hried basis. 

It uses a 20-bit Burr Brown DAC chip, not the 24-bit in the Lite...  But it uses the same BB digital filter.

It looks like the volume control isn't just passive, either, it has it's own tubed "preamp" section.  Pretty nice idea, to be honest.

Interesting.  Monarchy has some history, for sure, and some clout...  Might do well, in a niche sense.

I tell you, though: I have been turned away from external DACs and back to one-box players.  There are some phenomenal one-box players out there nowadays that really float my boat.  Some, even, with 24/96 inputs for us taper fiends...

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 07:36:01 AM »
I like the idea of a class a deck myself, but need something w/a "digi in" for that Jukebox action.

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 12:46:15 PM »
I definitely wondered if I should just buy a nicer CD/DVD player instead of a DAC.   I have no doubt that there are players out there with great DACs.   I can also run the optical output from my computer soundcard into the DAC, which was one reason that I went that route.

I also lusted after the Monarchy because of the built in preamp.
http://db.etree.org/lds490
Open: Studio Projects C-1s-> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> Addonics Pocket EX
Stealth: AT 831 -> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> IBM Microdrive

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 07:30:24 PM »
Nick, the best digital I ever had in my home was the Simaudio Eclipse LE.  It was an $8k player when I bought it, but there are a few on a'gon right now for $3600.  It has digital in, and I used it to good effect with my 24/96 shows.

I sold it, tho, and bought a Simaudio Nova.  Although similar in design (no digi in, tho), it isn't nearly as human sounding.  So I'm going after the new Supernova, which has digi in.  It's a great player.  I didn't get a chance to listen to it vs. an Eclipse LE, but did talk to Sim about pros and cons.  I can't afford the Andromeda right now, unfortunately, which is the new version of the Eclipse...  But I think this new Sim is a killer player. 

A friend of mine, an audio reviewer, bought a Wadia 861 after a lengthy review.  I convinced him to listen to the (cheaper) Supernova and he bought one instantly...  They're that good.  I've had dCS, Wadia, Levinson, Cary in house, and the Sim stuff I just keep coming back to.  It's really good.  And relatively unknown.  I like it that way :)

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 07:47:25 AM »
wow...even better than the dCS?
that is a DSD converting deck isn't it?

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 11:32:47 PM »
Yes, better than the dCS.  The dCS gear did some fab stuff, for sure.  Detail, spaciousness, bass, and the occasionally truly real-sounding things that would just pop out at you.  It did 24/96 recordings with the best of them.

But to my ears, the dCS left me feeling a bit cold.  It was a tad dry.  Sometimes overly analytical.  Always smooth, don't get me wrong, just not compellingly musical.

A tour de force, for sure, but what impressed the head doesn't always impress the heart.

My Eclipse LE did, and the new Andromeda does.  We'll see about the Supernova.  Fingers crossed.  My reviewer buddy is "over the moon" (pardon the pun) so things are looking up :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com