Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA-5: Can it be used as a coax > optical pass-thru?  (Read 2444 times)

Offline davepeck

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Taperssection All-Star
UA-5: Can it be used as a coax > optical pass-thru?
« on: May 19, 2005, 08:45:40 AM »
probably a stupid question, but...

i have a ua-5 that i digi-modded... can it be used for coax > optical pass-thru? ie, 'patching' a JB3 out of a d8 (d8 > 7-pin coax > ua-5 coax in > ua-5 optical out > JB3 optical in)...

just wanted to make sure, as i'm unable to test it out.. thanks!
Telefunken M60 + TK60 / TK61 / TK62 > Tascam DR-70D

Audio | Video | Photo

Offline dklein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: UA-5: Can it be used as a coax > optical pass-thru?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 09:55:26 AM »
ya know, I was about to answer yes and then decided to try it out.  No!
You can monitor the digital inputs thru headphone out and the analog outputs work but the digital outs do not.

Looking at the signal path, I think I understand why and if it's important I could probably tell you what you need to do to bridge that.  The normal digimod jumps the 24/96 digital out of the AK4524 codec directly to the CS8420, which resamples and feeds the digital outputs.  When using digital input, that codec is not coming into play so the jumper does nothing.  And without a pc, there's nothing to bridge the gap that would occur thru the USB path.  it's the secondary d>a that provides the monitoring signal but does not feed the CS8420/digital outs.  So it's just a matter of tapping into that digital signal and jumping it to the same spot as the digimod.

Problem is you'd need to switch that one off when using the analog inputs or you'd probably get the double signal effect that trashes the sound (the same one that occurs with a digimod if you plug some headphones in, turn the monitor on and turn up the volume).  In a normal digimod this effect only occurs on the analog output, not the digital output, but this 2nd mod would bring it over to the digital out.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline 1st set only

• Needs to get out more...
  • you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 09:53:30 AM »
radioshack makes a small 9v opti/coax converter its about 14 bucks
the show is over go home please.

Offline gruven42

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 01:16:22 PM »
You can use the UA-5 to take a coax signal in to an optical out, but it resamples the signal. Just get a Hosa box. Cheaper, too.
RIP, my taping career: 10/10/2003-10/6/2007

140/LC3 / MP-2 / Kind / Oade LS Mod SBM-1 / 7pin-opti / JB3 / D7 | SGE 100 / A27M / Manfrotto Black Stacker / Kata Koala-1 | 391/3/actives / c1000 / UA5 (P-Mod)

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 02:19:58 PM »
You can use the UA-5 to take a coax signal in to an optical out, but it resamples the signal.
Have you done this?
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 02:01:52 PM »
You can use the UA-5 to take a coax signal in to an optical out, but it resamples the signal.
Have you done this?

Actually, no you can't do this.  The UA5 does NOT work as a pass-thru, resmapled or otherwise...  Irritating, you think it would work, but it doesn't...

Pick up a Hosa ODL-276.  Works on the same 9v battery system for your UA5...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com