Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA 406x Carry case  (Read 3399 times)

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
DPA 406x Carry case
« on: March 05, 2012, 03:18:49 PM »
Hi all,

I am looking for a DPA 406x hard shell Carring case. Either one case for both of them or 2 small cases. Want to be able have a small footprint. Hopefully relativity inexpensive.

Would love to find something local - like home depot,hardware, target or camera store. Not sure really where to start looking. Will go online too for the right product.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

-p
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: DPA 406x Carry case
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 03:36:01 PM »
Depending what headphones you have, something like that could possibly work.... like a hard care from earbuds or something.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 07:51:07 AM »
Hi all,

I am looking for a DPA 406x hard shell Carring case. Either one case for both of them or 2 small cases. Want to be able have a small footprint. Hopefully relativity inexpensive.

Would love to find something local - like home depot,hardware, target or camera store. Not sure really where to start looking. Will go online too for the right product.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

-p

I was lucky enough to contact DPA directly about replacement cases and they were kind enough to ship them for free to me. :)

Barring that, you could look at a small Pelican case (model 1010, 1020 or 1030) if you wanted something that keep them dry and dust free.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 09:05:46 AM »
For transport, I use the boxes in which they shipped.  They are kind of small, though, so I don't like to leave them in those boxes long-term (coiled a bit too tightly).  But they are great for getting them to/from the show.

Offline phil_er_up

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 10:45:09 AM »
Hi all,

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

-p

I was lucky enough to contact DPA directly about replacement cases and they were kind enough to ship them for free to me. :)

Barring that, you could look at a small Pelican case (model 1010, 1020 or 1030) if you wanted something that keep them dry and dust free.
I bought mine in a kit and there are no cases for them. Just the box with all the accessories. Don't want to bring the case to the gig due to its to big.

What does the replacment cases look like?
 I checked DPA web site and could not find a picture of them.

The Pelican case might work too.

Thank for the responses so far. They are appreciated.

Thanks

-p

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 10:52:29 AM »
A round mint tin works well and offers crush protection.  The ones I'm linking of allow for a less tight cable coil than what is required to put them in the little DPA plastic cases, but I typcially just coil and store them in sandwich sized ziplock freezer bags, slightly looser still.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 11:03:09 AM »
I bought mine in a kit and there are no cases for them. Just the box with all the accessories. Don't want to bring the case to the gig due to its to big.

What does the replacment cases look like?
 I checked DPA web site and could not find a picture of them.

The Pelican case might work too.

Thank for the responses so far. They are appreciated.

Thanks

-p

The box (case) is the same one the DPA mics/accessories normally come in. As Gutbucket has mentioned, it does force the cable to be coiled a little tighter than one may like but it does keep them safe for transport, etc.

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 11:14:34 AM »
When I originally bought my 4061's they came in a ziplock type of bag with the manual/user's guide/warranty info/ etc. Then I bought accessories for my DPA 4061's and they were shipped in the plastic carry case which helped me to complete the set.

So you may be able to get the DPA cases as a bonus if you are also in the market for clips or windscreens.
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 01:39:04 PM »
Yep, a number of the DPA miniature mic acessories come in the same plastic cases. That's true for the grids, windscreens, concealers and the mics themselves these days (the packaging perks mentions is older).   The cases are OK for long term mic storage, but I really don't care for them for normal use where you'll be taking them in and out regularly.  Besides having to coil the cables pretty tightly, the mics just don't fit in there very well, its easy to pinch the cable, and they don't seal or latch particularly well.  I prefer most anything else.

The ~3-1/2" diameter version of these work especially well.
-/
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 01:40:43 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 03:15:14 PM »
^^ Just make sure you wash that Altoids tin well or your mics will come out smelling minty fresh or like a tropical umbrella drink, depending on what was in it. ;D

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 03:51:48 PM »
That Altoids tin is what I use.
It works like a charm.

Before that I used some tiny little plastic boxes bought from the impulse buying bins at Staples, which I only go to to drop off batteries for recycling.
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline phil_er_up

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 10:31:59 AM »
This is what I purchased at the local camera store:

DOlfin Box hard case:
http://www.cameramartusa.com/dolfin-8001-blackblack-p-5602.html?osCsid=lrct24kkcp6425o510a0r16lc2

Dolfin Desc.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waterproof ABS protection for your camera, laptop, or other valuables. Great for Surfers, Hikers, Bikers, Rafters, Kayakers, Boaters, Explorers, Campers and Outdoor Enthusiasts!

* 7.21" X 5.83" X 1.89"
    * Waterproof to 80 ft.
    * Toughest drybox available
    * Keeps contents dry & protected
    * Protects cameras, electronics, wallets, radios, cell phones
    * Lifetime Guarantee
      $29.95

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Should of been more clear that optimally I wanted the both DPA 406x cables and both DPA 406X XLR connectors to go into the box so I can take it to the venue. Wanted the smallest footprint without over stuffing the box. I almost stepped on the mics last week and there was no crowds around me. I wanted to be able to put those items (mics and XLR connectors) plus the small DPA windscreens and clips in the box. Also purchased a small carabiner to attach to the pack so I can not loose the case at the show.

First looked at the Pelican's and the fit was not what I wanted. The Dolpin has foam padding on the bottom and top and then has a foam sheet to make your own custom inserts. XLR's and mics fit nicely and let room for accessories.

Thanks for everyone's input and suggestions. It is appreciated.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 10:42:24 AM by phil_er_up »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com