Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help me improve my stealth rig  (Read 2572 times)

Offline mrruin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Team Europe
Help me improve my stealth rig
« on: January 31, 2007, 11:55:22 AM »
Allright, my current rig is the following: AT943s > 3 wire BB (1 miniXLR) > CA 9100 pre (2wire model) > h120

The BB is there simply because the mics are terminating in a miniXLR plug and my preamp is a 2wire model. It is a bit of extra gear but I do not think its much of a problem.

Now what I need help with is this: What can I do to improve my sound quality? I have been pretty happy with the recent results I have been getting but I also know there is room for improvement. I was looking at various UA-5s but while it would be nice to have its sound options available it is not really stealthing compatible. I like the CA preamp a lot, it has a great clean sound and I think there is no real better option for a stealthy preamp is there? What about the h120, that may be the "weak" link here since it can only record 16 bit 44khz. One thing I like is the remote control that lets you check levels easily. Would an upgrade to a MT improve sound? What mics would be an upgrade to the AT943s while still staying stealthy?

Basically Im looking for a piece of gear to switch out that would improve my setup the most (sonically).

EDIT: Im taping rock/metal/loud amplified music mostly.

Hope this made sense :P
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 11:57:07 AM by mrruin »
AT 943/h or U853/c > 3 wire "crown-royal" BB > ST 9100 preamp v2.0 > R-09
my shows: http://db.etree.org/mrruin *updated April 2nd 2007*
-------------
Team Europe

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Help me improve my stealth rig
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 11:58:03 AM »
Allright, my current rig is the following: AT943s > 3 wire BB (1 miniXLR) > CA 9100 pre (2wire model) > h120

The BB is there simply because the mics are terminating in a miniXLR plug and my preamp is a 2wire model. It is a bit of extra gear but I do not think its much of a problem.

Now what I need help with is this: What can I do to improve my sound quality? I have been pretty happy with the recent results I have been getting but I also know there is room for improvement. I was looking at various UA-5s but while it would be nice to have its sound options available it is not really stealthing compatible. I like the CA preamp a lot, it has a great clean sound and I think there is no real better option for a stealthy preamp is there? What about the h120, that may be the "weak" link here since it can only record 16 bit 44khz. One thing I like is the remote control that lets you check levels easily. Would an upgrade to a MT improve sound? What mics would be an upgrade to the AT943s while still staying stealthy?

Basically Im looking for a piece of gear to switch out that would improve my setup the most (sonically).

Hope this made sense :P

I have a new cable that converts your 943 to two wire and I also include my 4.7k mod in it I dont really think you need the battery box. I would ditch the 120 and get a R-09 IMO

Chris Church
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 11:59:47 AM »
IMO the mics/preamp you are using will sound just fine in 16bit.  I have yet to see a portible preamp that has 144db of dynamic range (what you need to take full advantade of 24bit)

The weak link in your set-up is th ADC in the iRiver.  You might want to look at buying a modSBM-1

Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 12:13:36 PM »
Buy an Nbox ;)
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline mrruin

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team Europe
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 12:47:19 PM »
ok help me out here: What is the NBox and where do I get a modSBM-1 (I assume thats Sony no? Looked in the yard sale and ebay but there is nothing to be found).
-------------
Team Europe

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 12:55:47 PM »
The Sony SBM-1 shows up on ebay and the yard sale here once in a while.  It is a discontinued Analog to Digital converter (16bit).  It has a reputation as being THE 16-bit field ADC.    The modSBM-1 is a SBM-1 modded by Oade.  It improved the line input on the SBM-1.  The mobSBM1 and the stock SBM1 are both very good units....   The SBM-1 only has a 7-pin digital output, so you will need a 7-pin->optical cable.  They can be found here on the yard sale, or many times they are offered with the SBM1....

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 12:57:02 PM »
I don't think an nbox would help you at all in this situation.....

Offline M

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 01:00:49 PM »
I agree with what Chris said.

I think that there are other advantages to 24 bit than dynamic range and that the r09 offers a better value than a sbm1.  Imo an sbm1 would be an unnessary link that would add bulk and not be as good as the r09 for similar cost.

A nbox setup would cost 2 grand with the schoeps caps, but it is nice.
Beyer CK930>Naiant TB>M10

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 01:18:54 PM »
I agree with what you are saying orestesluna, but I think that with the equipment he is using, a SBM-1 would outperform the R-09.  Would you rather have the best 16bit ADC or a decent 24bit ADC?  I see no advantage to 24bit personally.  Esspecially if you listen and distribute in 16bit....

Also he allready has a H120, which is damn fine 16bit bit bucket...

Offline mrruin

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team Europe
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 01:23:09 PM »
Esspecially if you listen and distribute in 16bit

I think thats the main issue I see with going to 24bit. At the end of the day you will share and listen to in 16bit most likely.

Thanks for the inputs everyone, T+s all around!
-------------
Team Europe

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com