Gear / Technical Help > Playback Forum

headphone recommendations needed

(1/5) > >>

Gordon:
Looking for recommendations on some new cans.  My trusty sennheiser hd 280 pro have developed a pretty nasty crackle.  Not looking to break the bank.  Thought about just getting another set of the same but there are some AKG's at the same price point. They get light use editing and sometimes listening to vinyl.  I have never needed a headphone amp in the past and would like to keep it that way....

noahbickart:
I enjoy my AKG k701, Beyer 880's, and Hifiman HE-4XX, but I use headphone amps....

goodcooker:

I replaced my hd280 that i'd used for 15 years with a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880. I like them a lot  Same use - some track splitting and listening to records late at night. My interface for my desktop drives them alright but not to high levels which is fine with me.

Gordon:
Lots of folks on the FB group recommended the Sony MDR 7506 so that's what I went with.

Gutbucket:
I used Sony MDR-V6 (more or less identical predecessor to 7506) for years since the mid 80's.  They are good reliable headphones, more or less an industry standard, and provide some isolation.  Nice that they fold up relatively compactly for over-ear type closed-back phones.  I still have them stored away somewhere although in need of new pads, primarily because all my other over-ears are open-backed.

Headphone preference is a very personal thing.  The AKG K701 has too much treble peak for me, for example.  Just not a good fit with my ear-canal resonance I suppose.  I'm more of a Sennheiser house sound guy.  The Mass-drop HD-6XX is what I'd look at if shopping for a replacement for my open-backed Senns today.  Have been long curious about Beyer 880 and Hifiman HE-4XX but haven't found the chance to really give them a good listen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version