Gear / Technical Help > Playback Forum

headphone recommendations needed

<< < (2/5) > >>

Liquid Meat:
I have several of the ones mentioned above. I enjoy all of them for different functions.

I use my MDR7506 for critical listening, Hifiman HE400 for casual listening as I like the openness they have. The 880s I use for casual listening as well. They are more bottom-end heavy in the system I use them on, and are my go-to with jazz stuff personally.

I don't think I'd feel bad about any of these are my only pair.

morst:

--- Quote from: Gutbucket on July 07, 2021, 10:35:59 AM ---I used Sony MDR-V6 (more or less identical predecessor to 7506) for years since the mid 80's.  They are good reliable headphones, more or less an industry standard, and provide some isolation.  Nice that they fold up relatively compactly for over-ear type closed-back phones.  I still have them stored away somewhere although in need of new pads, primarily because all my other over-ears are open-backed.

Headphone preference is a very personal thing.  The AKG K701 has too much treble peak for me, for example.  Just not a good fit with my ear-canal resonance I suppose.  I'm more of a Sennheiser house sound guy.  The Mass-drop HD-6XX is what I'd look at if shopping for a replacement for my open-backed Senns today.  Have been long curious about Beyer 880 and Hifiman HE-4XX but haven't found the chance to really give them a good listen.

--- End quote ---
I'm on my second pair of V6's (first got stolen) and I love them for critical monitoring, but don't find them to be overly "pleasant" for recreational listening.
Had a pair of old AKG K44 which I found more pleasant, but a bit less accurate than the V6 sets. One side conked out though and they don't seem easy to repair.
Sony V600 are smaller "on the ear" phones if you don't want as much isolation, I used them in the field for a few years before deciding that I can't monitor in the field with headphones anyhow.
Had a pair of old Sennheiser 414 "on the ear" phones which were a favorite for pleasure listening, although they don't mask outside noises due to the on-ear design.

--- Quote from: Gordon on July 07, 2021, 09:00:49 AM ---Lots of folks on the FB group recommended the Sony MDR 7506 so that's what I went with.
--- End quote ---

I thought 7506 was a V6 with juiced bass for DJs but it looks like it's got less bass in some reviews?

Gutbucket:
The Senn 414 is a classic I've never heard, but have heard good things about from folks who's opinion I value.  I've long wondered how it compares to the later Senn HD5XX through HD6XX range currently in production.

Classic yellow foam pads on your 414's morst?

morst:

--- Quote from: Gutbucket on July 08, 2021, 10:10:53 AM ---The Senn 414 is a classic I've never heard, but have heard good things about from folks who's opinion I value.  I've long wondered how it compares to the later Senn HD5XX through HD6XX range currently in production.

Classic yellow foam pads on your 414's morst?

--- End quote ---
They're long gone but yes, yellow ear pads. WAIT sorry they were the 424's not 414's, I now believe.

I may have bought them along with a yellow plastic Sports Walkman in December 1984, and picked up King Crimson Three Of A Perfect Pair to listen over and over until I got home, since they all matched.

https://twitter.com/KLatremouille/status/1146042792306569216/photo/1

(Mine was the pushbutton unit lower left.)

Gutbucket:
I can almost hear it now.
..and imagine an adjacent cabinet containing Busman mics.

Still rockin' one of these on occasion-

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version