Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

AKG 391 Phantom Powering Question

(1/4) > >>

nickgregory:
OK, so I have powered my mics since I have had them from the MP-2 at the 15V setting, since the spec sheet shows that the mics can accept 9-52V of power.  Realizing that the spec sheet said this, I assumed that if I ran at the 48V option avail on the MP-2, I would just be wasting battery power.  Now onto my question...

So in testing the cables that Daryan made for me (which are great...everything works great!), I switched to 48V just for the hell of it...when I did, everything remaining the same, the mic input to the MP-2 jumped...i.e. I was getting a hotter signal.  I went back and forth a couple of times to confirm this, and every time I went from 15 to 48 the signal got hotter.  My question is with this being the case, am I losing any of the "range" of the mic by running it at 15V?  I believe that the hotter signal is just a result of the more power juicing the mic, but I don't know if this translates into a more "detailed range" so to speak...

Any opinions?

Thx in advance.

Nick

nickgregory:
^BUMP^ Any opinions???

jlykos:
I don't know.  Try running at 15 for one set and 48 for another and listen for any differences.  I don't think that there will be any, but that is a hypothesis, not an answer.

nickgregory:
that is definitely my plan Jamie...thanks!  Kind of hoping that Mr. Nutter or Mr Lucks will respond here if they have any experience as well...!

danmorgan:

--- Quote from: nickgregory on September 08, 2003, 09:18:52 AM ---that is definitely my plan Jamie...thanks!  Kind of hoping that Mr. Nutter or Mr Lucks will respond here if they have any experience as well...!

--- End quote ---

Nick,

you might wanna check over at Oade as well.  I'm sure Doug would be able to help you out as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version