Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tagging question  (Read 3520 times)

Offline moondust.and.solitude

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Holding hands singing kumbaya
Re: Tagging question
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2022, 05:33:34 AM »
I need to apologize before I post my question ...

Sorry if this has already been mention, as I may have missed it in the previous comments.

That being said, what program is the best to use for tagging?
Mics: Lewitt LCT-040; Naiant X-X Omni's; Audio Technica U853AW's; Sony ECM-166BMP's; Audio Technica AT-853's.
Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Cables; Canare Custom Cables, UniStar LilRed Whip.
Recorders: Tascam DR-100mkIII; Tascam DR-05x, Tascam PortaCapture X8, Sony PCM-A10.
Misc: Samsung EVO Plus 128GB SDXC Cards.
RayoVac Fusion Batteries.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2022, 07:25:57 AM »

Sorry if this has already been mention, as I may have missed it in the previous comments.

foobar2000 with Live Show Tagger plugin for Windows
xACT for Mac
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2022, 08:27:12 AM »

foobar2000 with Live Show Tagger plugin for Windows
xACT for Mac

I like Tag for Mac as well (though I also use xACT sometimes):

https://sbooth.org/Tag/

Offline GroundHog420

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Sonic Archives
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2022, 04:47:00 PM »
I'm curious why no one has mentioned XLD; which I use on a Mac.
I had forgotten about TAG, and I thought xACT had been discontinued (maybe I was mistaken about that?)

I guess my own process adds an extra step, since I do all my audio processing on a PC (which is not allowed to be connected to the internet), and then I tag the files on a Mac.
Honestly, the only reason I do it that way is because the typing is a lot smoother on my Mac. I actually use the same model keyboard for the Mac and the PC, but I've always had a devil of a time trying to type on any PC compared to any MAC.

As for naming conventions, I'm pretty sure that's always going be somewhat subjective, based on whatever works best for each person's own collection.

Personally, for ease of finding things on my hard drives, I end up re-naming (but not re-tagging) a lot of whatever comes from other sources, because all my dates follow this format: 20220425 (no dashes or dots), and Artist Names are sorted by Last Name, rather than First Name. I try not to worry too much about the other info if a show came from someone else, because the name and date will generally do the trick when sorting or searching.

For what it's worth, my own convention goes like this:

Artist Name yyyymmdd Locale (City State Province Country etc) Venue

Hey man, that common sense shit won't fly around here, we're from Portland, we're edgy & different or something  ???
she kept playing with the balls for around 2 years after i thought i had seen it all from them.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2022, 05:51:42 PM »
I thought xACT had been discontinued (maybe I was mistaken about that?)

Last update was June 2020, but Scott Brown is around still, active in the community. I don't think it is discontinued.

http://xact.scottcbrown.org/
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline roffels

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2022, 12:09:29 AM »

Any reason to include the artist name in the album name?

I have a digital media player which by default clumps any album with the same name together - so it intermixes openers and the main act, but I always considered that a quirk of that particular player. Is it to avoid that from happening?

Offline GroundHog420

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Sonic Archives
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2022, 12:40:51 AM »
Oh, I may not have illustrated this well, possibly...

The example I listed was mainly a generic overview of what a folder might be named; also, the various column headers that can be sorted:

Artist Name

yyyymmdd

Locale (City State Province Country etc)

Venue

Honestly, I'm not sure how various players might respond to various naming conventions, but I'm thinking that if sorting can be determined by Artist Name and Date, everything else would more or less fall into place.

• • • •

Any reason to include the artist name in the album name?
I have a digital media player which by default clumps any album with the same name together - so it intermixes openers and the main act, but I always considered that a quirk of that particular player. Is it to avoid that from happening?

Hey man, that common sense shit won't fly around here, we're from Portland, we're edgy & different or something  ???
she kept playing with the balls for around 2 years after i thought i had seen it all from them.

Offline roffels

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2022, 08:41:41 AM »
That makes more sense. Thanks. I've run into a few shows where folks include the artist name in the album title and I've found the practice a little confusing, but harmless - after all, there's already a field for the artist name.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com