Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 firmware 1.30  (Read 28509 times)

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
Re: Edirol R-09 firmware 1.30
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2007, 11:44:29 PM »
My 2700s are Sanyos.  I find that with display at the brightest, no power saving modes on, and external pre and mics I can get about 9.5 hours of recording.  The only thing that sort of sucks about the R-09 is my battery meter will show full until the battery is almost dead then will go instantly to the lowest setting before the X about to run out part of the meter.  Once it drops I get about another 20 min.

Your charger probably does it.  If you have not already you may want to try to recondition those old energizer batteries.  I don't know if this is the best practice but I recondition my Sanyos every 25 charges or so.

On the transfer, all computers are different.  Make sure if you are plugging into a hub it is 2.0.  Also, if you are running windows you may want to check windows update for a usb2 compatibility patch.  If you need me to I can probably find the patch number.  I was having slow transfer speeds (R-4 and R-09 along the lines of what you mentioned) but after windows update installed the patch I can do 8 gig in about 12min.  If I boot into Ubuntu it clocks at about the same 12 min.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2007, 12:20:00 AM »
My 2700s are Sanyos.  I find that with display at the brightest, no power saving modes on, and external pre and mics I can get about 9.5 hours of recording.  The only thing that sort of sucks about the R-09 is my battery meter will show full until the battery is almost dead then will go instantly to the lowest setting before the X about to run out part of the meter.  Once it drops I get about another 20 min.

Your charger probably does it.  If you have not already you may want to try to recondition those old energizer batteries.  I don't know if this is the best practice but I recondition my Sanyos every 25 charges or so.

I have this fancy charger which shows me available mha remaining in the batteries after a series of deep charger/drain cycles (you can set the number of cycles) and these are definitely pretty darn used up.  I have some really old 1800s that have more life left than these 2600s (scary, huh).  The idea behind this charger is to better match batters when putting them into service and to better manage the life of the batteries, but the charger was not cheap. 

IMHO, worth the extra cost for the better info on the batteries: http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/viewitem.asp?idproduct=423

I have had the same 20 minute issue with the meter.  Once the levels on the R09 are showing low, it is pretty much too late and time to change the batteries out quickly (that has been with any batteries in the until of any mah).
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 12:22:59 AM by gmm6797 »

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
    • AZTapers
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2007, 12:38:55 AM »
I like the look of that charger.  Mine is the same brand ($40 less) but requires you to charge the batteries in pairs.  Thats not that bad if you don't get the batteries between pairs mixed up as the amount they can hold should stay pretty consistent.  But of course I don't really seem to be able not to mix them up so it's all out the window.  Do you know if they have a version that also does C and Ds?

I don't know if it means anything but a search on the model number returned a unit that looked the same in the picture from MAHA but had to be recalled because of a few issues recharging hi capacity batteries.  I did not see anything in the reviews I found for the Powerex talking about a recall.

EDIT:
The battery meter issue only seems to happen with the rechargeable batteries.  If I use alkalines and select the correct setting in the menu it tracks the battery usage correctly.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 12:42:34 AM by china_rider »

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2007, 12:53:30 AM »
I have not had any issues with the charger.  I have a few older batteries that it wont charge, as the initial test shows the voltage is off.  And these wont charge in any charger I have.

I have 4 2300mah PowerEx batteries that it wont charge for the same reason... but these 4 will charge in the generic chargers.

Any batteries I dont trust go into the baby's toys.... or any lower mah ones.

I look at it this way, the cost of this charger is worth it to make sure my gear wont die in the field because of power

PS- they are nice toys for us geeks too  ;D

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
    • AZTapers
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2007, 12:59:24 AM »
PS- they are nice toys for us geeks too  ;D

Yep... I agree... I think I may be off to order one. T+

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2007, 02:01:25 AM »
slightly on topic, please help

i use the 4gb sdhc card with the 1.20 firware and when i begin to record in 48/24 mode with the edirol r-09, it give me a time of somethng like 3 hours and change--( close to four hours) and as i record i see the time record and the file fill up, when does it make the auto change to a new folder--at what time, i know its 2gb, but out of a 4gb card it seems like say wav.00001 r09 fills up some where under 2hrs.   so if a concert goes over the 2 hr mark and i am recording and the encores start and a new file starts is anything going to be missing or any blips happen?

1. i guess i wnat to know how much overll recording tiem do i have with a 4 gb sdhc card running at 24/48?

2. when does the auto split happen-at what time?

3. if it goes to a new folder while a song is being recorded does it interrupt the recording at all?

its late--sorry for the bad repetitive diction

please advise

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
    • AZTapers
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2007, 02:13:33 AM »
slightly on topic, please help

i use the 4gb sdhc card with the 1.20 firware and when i begin to record in 48/24 mode with the edirol r-09, it give me a time of somethng like 3 hours and change--( close to four hours) and as i record i see the time record and the file fill up, when does it make the auto change to a new folder--at what time, i know its 2gb, but out of a 4gb card it seems like say wav.00001 r09 fills up some where under 2hrs.   so if a concert goes over the 2 hr mark and i am recording and the encores start and a new file starts is anything going to be missing or any blips happen?

1. i guess i wnat to know how much overll recording tiem do i have with a 4 gb sdhc card running at 24/48?

2. when does the auto split happen-at what time?

3. if it goes to a new folder while a song is being recorded does it interrupt the recording at all?

its late--sorry for the bad repetitive diction

please advise

Hey now
1) If I remember correctly 24/48 = ~1 gig per hour
2) Auto split time is set within the setup menus of the R-09. I think under recording options (max file size, then turn auto split on)
3) A new file will be started.  From what I can tell with 1.30 the split is seamless. You won't get a new directory but will get multiple files.
4) yes it's late... hope the response makes sense. I'm off to bed.

Offline jmz93

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2007, 12:14:13 PM »

On the transfer, all computers are different.  Make sure if you are plugging into a hub it is 2.0.  Also, if you are running windows you may want to check windows update for a usb2 compatibility patch.  If you need me to I can probably find the patch number.  I was having slow transfer speeds (R-4 and R-09 along the lines of what you mentioned) but after windows update installed the patch I can do 8 gig in about 12min.  If I boot into Ubuntu it clocks at about the same 12 min.

Hmm, I'm running XP Home SP2, and Windows Update usually grabs things automatically as they come out. I know my ports are 2.0. 
But, I'll try it if you have the patch, or can find out it's number.
thanks.

Offline prof_peabody

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Team Houston
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2007, 08:54:35 PM »
Thanks for the info.  +T

Offline Josephine

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2007, 01:45:32 AM »
What's the consensus on 8 gig cards?
Who's tried them?
Any issues?
Schoeps MK4 / MK4v / MK41 > actives > NBox+ > R-09HR

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~
~   Live Music Archive   ~

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
    • AZTapers
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2007, 01:54:46 AM »
Both kingston and transcend 8gig have worked for me.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2007, 05:36:35 PM »
Transcend 8gb has formatted and recorded with no issues.  And its a standard Class 2 SDHC

Offline Josephine

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2007, 10:10:21 PM »
Thanks, guys.  :)
Schoeps MK4 / MK4v / MK41 > actives > NBox+ > R-09HR

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~
~   Live Music Archive   ~

Offline calvinroots

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Time Will Tell
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2007, 04:42:45 PM »
Thanks for this info everybody!
audio - STC-11's (card's & omni's) > CA-9100 > R-09
photog - Canon 40D, 50mm 1.8 II, 70-200 4.0 L, 28-135 kit

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2007, 05:33:54 AM »
I lost a show I was taping last night.  I was st****ing.  When I last looked, the R09 was recording.  I checked it one more time before I put it away and it was still running about 21 seconds in........... 

At the end of the night when I went to hit stop, nothing was there.   ???  When I turned off the Hold, the R09 said it had a SD card error.  I watched it   

I did a data recovery scan and found my file on the R09, but it shows up as a deleted file and size of only 8.   ???  Am I screwed? 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com