Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 firmware 1.30  (Read 28511 times)

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: Edirol R-09 firmware 1.30
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2007, 06:30:28 AM »
I lost a show I was taping last night.  I was st****ing.  When I last looked, the R09 was recording.  I checked it one more time before I put it away and it was still running about 21 seconds in........... 

At the end of the night when I went to hit stop, nothing was there.   ???  When I turned off the Hold, the R09 said it had a SD card error.  I watched it   

I did a data recovery scan and found my file on the R09, but it shows up as a deleted file and size of only 8.   ???  Am I screwed? 

I can't answer if file might be recoverable, but seems good chance file errors with more recent runs of Transcend 8 GIG cards is still unresolved even with new 1.30 firmware.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2007, 09:10:23 PM »
Dan - that sounds goofy to me, to say the least.

The other night I hit pause an extra time and only noticed with less than a song left in the performance (a 20 minute opener)... I was ratehr bummed that I ran on pause.

So, when you checked the deck, it was off and nothing on the screen?
When you looked at the card in the PC, it showed no files at all?
Even the file restore showed nothing to restore?

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2007, 12:55:20 PM »
Anyone using one of these flash cards with their R-09?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211180

$45.49 after mail in rebate, best price I've seen for 8GB.

For what it's worth I have been using a 16Gb A-data brand CF card in my 722 with out any issues.

Edit to add:

Just found this omne as well, I geuss prices are really coming down.

http://www.adorama.com/KGSD48GB.html
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 12:59:05 PM by Jaledu »
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline MSTaper

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2007, 03:33:53 PM »
Great price for a big card, but I'd hate to be the guinea pig to try it out. I don't have any other devices that I could use it in. rWc3523 8)
Church Audio CA-11, Avantone CK-1
Edirol UA-5
Edirol R-09, Fostex FR-2LE

12/13 Patterson Hood - Florence, Ala.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2007, 08:36:50 PM »
Anyone using one of these flash cards with their R-09?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211180

$45.49 after mail in rebate, best price I've seen for 8GB.

For what it's worth I have been using a 16Gb A-data brand CF card in my 722 with out any issues.

Edit to add:

Just found this omne as well, I geuss prices are really coming down.

http://www.adorama.com/KGSD48GB.html

Falling prices has produced quite a shakeout with companies producing these products, but from what I've read, prices should be stabilizing soon so some makers expect to stay viable for the long run.

Here is a .PDF about SDHC specifications originally posted on Kingston's site: www.sonicstudios.com/sdhctopc.pdf

Here is the total 8 GIG SDHC newegg page offerings: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2000070068+1053125651+1053313634&name=8GB

So far, newer made Transcend 8 GIG seem still have file error problems even with v1.30 in the R-09, so maybe best to avoid at least this brand until more users report otherwise.  Since there are now MORE makers of SDHC types, some of us are going to be guniea pigs for trying these to see if current production of these models work as expected with R-09 deck. 

Great price for a big card, but I'd hate to be the guinea pig to try it out. I don't have any other devices that I could use it in. rWc3523 8)

While SDHC Type 2 speed rating should be plenty fast for R-09 audio, the higher speed cards might be useful for the newer flash card video camcorders, especially the HD versions moving a lot more data in shorter time than standard definition video models.

Interesting to see no Sandisk Ultra II brand model 8 GIG SDHC at Newegg, but drilling into Sandisk's site gives the reason: HIGH COST

See product page http://www.sandisk.com/Products/ProductInfo.aspx?ID=2339

However, Sandisk Extreme III 8 GIG SDHC card seems the bargain in comparison with screaming 20 mb continuous data rate, and lower cost than slower Ultra II : http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(2525)-SDSDRX3-8192-901-SanDisk_Extreme_III_SDHC_8GB_Card_with_MicroMate_Reader.aspx

BOTH come with dedicated (much needed) SDHC card reader so expected read/write performance is maintained with at least computer connected applications

"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2007, 10:34:00 PM »
Dan - that sounds goofy to me, to say the least.

The other night I hit pause an extra time and only noticed with less than a song left in the performance (a 20 minute opener)... I was ratehr bummed that I ran on pause.

So, when you checked the deck, it was off and nothing on the screen?
When you looked at the card in the PC, it showed no files at all?
Even the file restore showed nothing to restore?

When I check via file recovery, its shows that 3rd file is still there, but as a deleted file.  8mb is the size.  Not sure if that's the entire show, crumpled up, or how much was actually recorded.  If I send you the card, do you want take a shot at recovering the file? 

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2007, 11:04:44 AM »
Not that it's that big a deal, but it would be nice if they make another firmware revision which includes the ability to play files w/ tags on them.  I tried to play an mp3 w/ a tag and the r-09 wouldn't play it until I deleted the tag.  Seems like it would be easy to make it so it at least ignores the tag and just plays the song, but maybe it's harder than it seems w/ its current file structure.

Offline Flawn

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2007, 04:51:14 PM »
When I loaded v1.20 I got a file repair utility that came in handy repairing a file. For instance, when the R-09 stopped in mid recording when AC power failed, the file showed up unplayable with an error, but worked fine after running the R-09's file repair on it.

But after loading v1.30, I no longer see that file repair utility in the R-09's menu structure! Are others missing it too?

Offline MSTaper

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2007, 09:40:32 PM »
Well, I'm running v. 1.20 and I cannot find the repair function on my menu. Now I DID find the repair function when I had a damaged file (batteries died during recording) and it seems like it's not there now. Maybe it's only visible when there's a bad file on the card? Either that or I'm looking in the wrong place. rWc3523 :headphones:
Church Audio CA-11, Avantone CK-1
Edirol UA-5
Edirol R-09, Fostex FR-2LE

12/13 Patterson Hood - Florence, Ala.

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2007, 10:41:32 PM »
I have hade nothing but bad luck with all types of trascend cards SD or sdhc 2gb, 4gb

Now the Kingston 4gb sdhc works fine

I am going to upgrade to class 6 8 gb kingston sdhc

I also use kingston CF in my edirol r-01

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2007, 11:39:08 PM »
I have hade nothing but bad luck with all types of trascend cards SD or sdhc 2gb, 4gb

Wow, most report the Transcend cards being great. 

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2007, 04:53:05 AM »

Wow, most report the Transcend cards being great. 

Yep, they used to work fine, but somewhere along the line this year Transcend made a small change in a controller IC choice that now affects at least the ability to keep working OK in the R-09 deck, so for now, maybe best avoid this make for R-09 use until something changes back for the better.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2007, 06:18:36 AM »
When considering whether a card is fast enough for your audio, you can do a simple test - just put it into an SDHC card reader, and fill it with files from your PC (ideally large ones).  How long does it take to fill?  Not very long.  What length of audio would you expect to record onto it in real time?  A lot more than the time it takes to fill.  Speed should not be an issue unless your recording hardware can write several 24/96 stereo files at once.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2007, 12:10:56 PM »
When considering whether a card is fast enough for your audio, you can do a simple test - just put it into an SDHC card reader, and fill it with files from your PC (ideally large ones).  How long does it take to fill?  Not very long.  What length of audio would you expect to record onto it in real time?  A lot more than the time it takes to fill.  Speed should not be an issue unless your recording hardware can write several 24/96 stereo files at once.

While this seems a good way to see if a flash card is fully functioning at least with whatever card reader you have, working as expected while recording audio inside a particular deck is a different matter of speed and protocol timing for error-free data handling with that model deck

So suggest using the card, after formatting inside the deck, for doing actual test recordings at highest rate and most likely modes (mp3/wav) expected.

Offline jamroom

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2007, 12:19:17 PM »
Any updates on 8gb card compatibility?

I have just taken the taping plunge and bought an R09 which I intend to upgrade with 1.30. I was going to get an 8gb card (though a 4gb would probably do - if it is 1gb/min) but read through this thread and am unsure what to do for the best.

I can get a Sandisk Ultra II for £50 - would this make more sense than buying one of the many other brands?

Thanks.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com