Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What's your playback system?  (Read 2798 times)

Offline dklein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
What's your playback system?
« on: August 14, 2003, 11:34:44 AM »
The thread on speaker placement got me kind of curious about what people are listening on (Nick & Brian both with Maggies!).  I haven't yet got my computer and my real stereo hooked up yet.  Recordings always goes to cd for playback.

My system is quite analog oriented...left over from the days when I sold high end equipment and lived at home (translation - every cent I made went back into hi-fi equipment that I could buy at or below dealer cost).

Part of the reason I ask the question is because I always use the stereo as the final listen if I've done any eq or other processing.  This obviously plays heavily into what I think 'sounds good'.

So here goes... it's mostly funky British gear.  It's configured as an active tri-amp system (crossover breaks up the signal into bass, mid & treble before sending to 3 separate stereo amps and feeding the speaker drivers directly i.e. no passive crossover in the speakers)

Turntable - Linn LP12, Ekos tonearm, Asaka MC cartridge
Cassette - Nak RX-505
CD - Nakamichi MB-3 (this is my weak link)

Pre-Amp - Naim NAC 72, Hi-Cap power supply
Electronic Crossover - Naim NAXO 3-6, Hi-Cap power supply
Power Amps - 3x Naim NAP 140

Speakers - Linn Isobarik PMS (no crossover)

The system offers true 20Hz bass response.  Not at all boomy - just capable of reaching down low.  I sometimes hear some weird stuff in my recordings (like the sound of the bass from the club next door to the show I taped!)  It also is exceptionally detailed and can definitely be unkind to digital recordings as a result.  In fact, the pre-amp was originally available with an input card specifically for cd that rolled of the top end (I'm not using that card BTW).

The one thing that it doesn't do, and as a result I don't care so much about, is imaging.  The multiple driver design of the speakers kinda does away with a very strong image.  In it's place, I get the most unreal snap out of things like drums - the transient response is awesome.  And if I ever want to demo my system to people, I wouldn't even dream of playing a cd.  The vinyl is where it's at!

So what have you got and what do you master on?

david
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline dklein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re:What's your playback system?
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2003, 11:48:28 AM »
D'oh!
     thanks...
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com