Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Multiple rounds of EQ  (Read 3132 times)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Multiple rounds of EQ
« on: March 20, 2019, 10:05:21 PM »
Is there anything inherently wrong with doing multiple rounds of EQ on the same file?  Like doing one pass with one set of settings, then going back and doing another pass with different settings.  Kosher?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline wforwumbo

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Multiple rounds of EQ
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 10:23:58 PM »
No there shouldn't be much of an issue. Many multiband EQs work this way, with a series of cascaded 2-pole filters that all just keep pushing the samples down the chain, so to speak.

You *might* theoretically run into an issue of resonance if you keep passing the same bit of audio through the same filter over and over again, but you'd need a pretty sharply peaked bandpass filter for that to be an issue.
North Jersey native, Upstate veteran, proud Texan

2x Schoeps mk2; 2x Schoeps mk21; 2x Schoeps mk4

4x Schoeps cmc5; 4x Schoeps KC5; Nbob KCY; Naiant PFA

EAA PSP-2

Sound Devices Mixpre-6

Offline heathen

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 10:30:05 PM »
No there shouldn't be much of an issue. Many multiband EQs work this way, with a series of cascaded 2-pole filters that all just keep pushing the samples down the chain, so to speak.

You *might* theoretically run into an issue of resonance if you keep passing the same bit of audio through the same filter over and over again, but you'd need a pretty sharply peaked bandpass filter for that to be an issue.

Thanks for the quick and knowledgeable response!  Hope you're doing well.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 10:09:49 PM »

I suppose this is as good a thread as any to wish wforwumbo a hearty mazel tov for defending his dissertation, and becoming (not that kind of ) doctor wforwumbo.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline heathen

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 10:56:53 PM »

I suppose this is as good a thread as any to wish wforwumbo a hearty mazel tov for defending his dissertation, and becoming (not that kind of ) doctor wforwumbo.

Right on.  Double mazel tov!

Offline Perry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 10:34:31 PM »
That's a regular practice for me. I find easier to work on a particular freq band or even one instrument at a time. Keeps me from affecting adjacent frequencies. Rather than stacking eq's on a track, I render between eq's. This is why it takes me so long to share a recording. That, and I'm a little anal retentive.
"It hurts to lean back in handcuffs..."
^^~~~~~~~Todd Snider~~~~~~~^^

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 12:08:36 PM »

Hear here! Dr acoustical-feel-good Nik!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com