Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: VHS to DVD conversion questions  (Read 7294 times)

Offline mmadd29

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I've stopped drinking, but only while I'm asleep
VHS to DVD conversion questions
« on: April 14, 2009, 09:37:34 AM »
I have a project that I have to undertake.  I will be transfering some old shows from VHS to DVD. Here is the equipment I have:

Canopus ADVC110
UA5

My thinking is that I will run the video though the Canopus, and input via firewire in DV mode.

For the audio I was thinking that my UA5 would be far superior to the Canopus, so I would use that.  I will be getting an audio card will a digital input, so I run the digital out on the UA5.

I'm not sure what capture package I will use, but would have to believe any package would allow me to pick different source for the video and audio.

I will remaster the audio, and then send of the video and audio to someone who will resync it with Adobe.

Does this make sense doing it think way?

Thanks in advance.
Superlux CM-H8K > UA5 > iriver h120 > Wave Labs > EAC

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: VHS to DVD conversion questions
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 10:06:03 PM »
There are many more qualified than me to render expert opinion, but I've always figured my $150 soundcard was plenty good enough to capture what's already there on a VHS tape.  I suppose you're converting an analog source to digital, so there could be some value added to having a high quality audio capture chain, but under the garbage in = garbage out concept, I've never personally felt it was all that important because all of the transfers that I've done have been are from less than master copies (1st or lower gen) of concerts and not...say purchased VHS concert tapes which probably have a far higher fidelity than the concerts that I converted from VHS to DVD. 

Offline gearscout

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 05:06:50 AM »
mmadd29,

I use the Canopus 110 all the time.  Try it and see how the audio comes out.  I don't know what the original settings were, but it may be fine without the re-mixing.  I would make that my starting point.  If you want to try another import of just the audio, you'll be able to compare it.

Depending on your video editing software, you may be able to enhance or clean up the original audio on the timeline.

Offline mmadd29

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 08:15:24 AM »
mmadd29,

I use the Canopus 110 all the time.  Try it and see how the audio comes out.  I don't know what the original settings were, but it may be fine without the re-mixing.  I would make that my starting point.  If you want to try another import of just the audio, you'll be able to compare it.

Depending on your video editing software, you may be able to enhance or clean up the original audio on the timeline.

Yes, this seems the easiest way to do it.  The UA5 probably doesn't make much more of a difference.  The audio and video will come through via the firewire cable correct??

I will be using either Vegas studio, or Adobe Preimere.

Thanks for the advice.

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 09:14:54 AM »
If you're able to capture directly to DV-AVI you will already have 16 bit/48KHz audio to work with.  I know in the full versions of Vegas you can open your audio track in an external editor or save your audio track separately and remaster/edit how you please.  I assume Vegas Studio does this also but I don't know.  As long as you don't cut any of it out you can bring it back in and delete the original track.

Offline mmadd29

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 09:19:13 AM »
If you're able to capture directly to DV-AVI you will already have 16 bit/48KHz audio to work with.  I know in the full versions of Vegas you can open your audio track in an external editor or save your audio track separately and remaster/edit how you please.  I assume Vegas Studio does this also but I don't know.  As long as you don't cut any of it out you can bring it back in and delete the original track.

Yes the Canopus does the output in DV, so what your saying is with Vegas, I could open the audio with Wave Labs, do what I need and save it back with the video.

This would be perfect cause there should be no sync issues.

stevetoney

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 12:41:50 PM »
Yup, that's essentially what I do, except I don't have all of the same software and hardware that you're talking about.  For example, I capture using the video card, but as I'm capturing I route audio through my external sound card...a Soundblaster Extigy because I'm just not aware of how well my video capture card processes audio.  Once captured, I'll use either Vegas or DVDLabPro to strip the audio off and save it as a .wav file.  Then I will use Audition to tweek the audio...add some bass, remove some noise, whatever.  Then when I author the DVD, I'll mux the audio back together with the video.  As long as you don't whack or add any length to the audio track, they're still perfectly synched.

This is also similar to how I synch a better sounding audio recording to a video with lousy audio.  I will just strip off the audio from the AV recording and then synch up the audio that is stripped off with the external audio source by either stretching or shrinking and accounting for any drop-outs on one or the other audio's.  Obviously, the key here is that you never touch the audio that was stripped out because that provides your reference.  Then on final muxing, just substitute the original audio with the new audio.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 12:46:01 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 09:16:46 AM »
I know in the full versions of Vegas you can open your audio track in an external editor or save your audio track separately and remaster/edit how you please.  I assume Vegas Studio does this also but I don't know.  As long as you don't cut any of it out you can bring it back in and delete the original track.

I do this all the time.  I right click on the audio and select "open copy in audio editor."  I use CoolEditPro 2000.  After I'm done editing the audio, I save it, and Vegas automatically replaces the old audio with the new audio - you don't even have to delete the old audio.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline stantheman1976

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 09:49:32 AM »
I know in the full versions of Vegas you can open your audio track in an external editor or save your audio track separately and remaster/edit how you please.  I assume Vegas Studio does this also but I don't know.  As long as you don't cut any of it out you can bring it back in and delete the original track.

I do this all the time.  I right click on the audio and select "open copy in audio editor."  I use CoolEditPro 2000.  After I'm done editing the audio, I save it, and Vegas automatically replaces the old audio with the new audio - you don't even have to delete the old audio.

I wasn't sure if Vegas Studio allowed you to open your audio track in an external editor or not.  I've always used the full version of Vegas since version 6 so I'm not sure what Studio lacks compared to it.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 05:27:42 PM »
i wouldn't waste your time with the audio and ua5
if you get dropped frames/glitches in either they will not match back up
i would just go with it together and call it a day
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Cools

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 02:06:11 PM »
Does this make sense doing it think way?

Yes. I've used the Canopus to backup VHS tapes. I routed the audio through it as well and captured to DV through Final Cut Pro.

Offline Brian E.

• is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 05:53:42 PM »
I need something that works with Mac to transfer old VHS family movies to digital.  Is the Canopus ADVC110 the way to go?

or is there a cheaper solution (<$220) that works fine?

I have 10 to start working on.  My grandma has tubs of them in Florida.  So maybe 100 or so.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 05:55:50 PM by Brian Emerick »
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 07:38:47 PM »
I need something that works with Mac to transfer old VHS family movies to digital.  Is the Canopus ADVC110 the way to go?

I have 10 to start working on.  My grandma has tubs of them in Florida.  So maybe 100 or so.

If you transfer them to your harddrive and encode them one at a time, that's going to take weeks (months...).  You'll be able to better control the file sizes this way and there might be some marginal improvements to quality.  But you could save yourself A LOT of time and work simply by getting a stand alone DVR/burner to which you can connect a VCR.  Just put in the tape, set it to capture to the DVR's harddrive, and walk away.  For typical family videos (that probably don't have a lot of fast movement) you could just set it to record in 2-hour mode. 

I would never do this for high quality video - but since these are old VHS tapes - the quality level is only so-so to begin with.

However, if you have to do a lot of editing (which is usually the case with family videos where people tend to shoot a lot of boring stuff that needs to be trimmed down or edited out), you won't have much choice but to capture to a harddrive.

If you think you have no choice but to capture to the HD and edit - then go with the ADVC-100 or 110.  Don't buy a new one - get one off of eBay.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline Brian E.

• is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 11:20:55 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I have a DVD recorder, though a pretty cheap one. Maybe I'll try that. Is rather be able to color correct them a bit but that would save them and save a lot of space at the very least.
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 10:37:54 PM »

pvr 1212
reserch programs for it - but it does hd too and is on sale for 160 often
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com