Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How should I run my mics?  (Read 1351 times)

Offline hhf32

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
How should I run my mics?
« on: August 20, 2004, 07:32:17 PM »
I'm looking to tape The Allmans tomorow night at Great Woods (Tweeter Center) in Mansfield, Mass. My seats are section 7 row J seat 28, which puts me a few rows behind where the sounboard is and left of center. I'd love some suggestions on how to run my mics, Akg 391's. Not sure if I should do X/Y where I'm off center, DIN, etc..... I wanted to try and get some input maybe with some tapers familar with this shed.  Thanks
AKG 461's>digimod UA5>JB3

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: How should I run my mics?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 07:54:31 PM »
generally if i'm off-center i'll go XY. if you're not in or even close to the audible center(stereo or mono mix), it's really not worth running a stereo config. IMO. HOWEVER ........   

many people have noted on this site that they really enjoy the off-axis sound they get with the akgs(both the 39x and 48x series, or the mic of their choice for that matter)  when running near-coincident patterns like DIN , DINA , ORTF, NOS, etc. i've read that tapers generally prefer DIN or DINA with the akg's. no personal experience just what i have read here.

if you are far away from the sound source the XY config really helps "focus" in on the source IMO especially with hypercardioids. although it rolls off the bass naturally, it makes it sound a little more "upfront" and the bass is a little more focused and less boomy.  like i said though lots akg users enjoy the off axis sound with near coincident techniques.  I'm not sure if allman's runs a stereo mix or not so it's really kind of a crapshoot. especially in a shed where there are so many different variables when you are not in the audible center.

flip a coin or listen to somebody who has taped there before from far away and off center.  with solid mics like the 390s you probably won't make a bad tape no matter what config you run :) 

whoa did i just fluff akg's ??? :P ;)

good luck! let us know what you decided to do and how turned out!

jimmc

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 11:11:11 PM »
I'm pretty sure the Allmans run mono.  At least they did at Darien last summer when mark and I taped from our far left 6th row seats that ended up being a stack tape. Sounded great though with an even, great mix, which leads me to believe its mono.
Jim

Offline hhf32

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 08:21:08 AM »
Thanks alot for the advice!!! +T's I'll probably just play it by ear and see exactly how far I am over to the left and make my decision then.  Either way I'm dying to try out these mics as I just upgraded from Oktava's. I'll let you know how the show came out and if anyone else has taped here in a similar situation I'd like to hear what the outcome was.

Offline hhf32

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 12:23:40 AM »
Well...I never got to tape. I saw a post on their site they were'nt allowing taping for the show due to the instant download thing. I brought my gear anyways and figured I'd try anyways, then heard on a local radio staion that they were'nt allowing taping. I was kind of pissed they were'nt allowing recording...then went in and saw about 6 or so stands under the pavillion. Bummed me out, but they put on a great show so it made up for it. Well, looks like I won't get to run these till Saturday now.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.133 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com