Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: edirol/roland r-44 (part five)  (Read 163802 times)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: edirol/roland r-44 (part five)
« Reply #495 on: September 05, 2019, 09:06:14 PM »
Solution 1 is perfect, but even the 2 R44 have significant drift when not tied together (and they are RIGHT NEXT to each other!)
Solution 2 is where I'm at now. I can't stand trying to sync stuff up that isn't, and I find the R44 to do a good enough job for my needs. I really should learn to live with just 2 channels, eh?
I would never expect any two machines without timecode or word clock sync to match clocks. That's why they sell word clocks and time code!
Manual sync is not for everyone, but don't get discouraged! 2 channels is infinitely better than no channels, but 4 can be even better!

https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #496 on: September 06, 2019, 10:17:31 AM »
Seconding the comment about being careful with battery polarity.  I damaged mine that way some years ago and had to get it fixed by a service agent.

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #497 on: March 05, 2022, 03:02:33 PM »
Fitting that the last comment here (2.5 years ago!) is about battery polarity. I’m currently using a dynex external battery, but looking to upgrade - one thing I like about this battery though, is that the output has a different sized connector than the input (pic of the cable attached) - so seemingly a bit of a failsafe to avoid reversing things and burning up my deck.

In terms of upgrading, is talentcell still the way to go? Is there a way to use more standard battery blocks, ala anker, etc.?

Any recommendations on a battery that can give me a similar “failsafe” option would be greatly appreciated!

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #498 on: March 05, 2022, 03:41:01 PM »
I've been using the Talentcell battery ever since acquiring my R44 ~4 years ago and it has worked very well. The Talentcell output diameter is more similar to the DC input diameter of the R44 than with the older gray 9V batteries. In my personal experience, I can fit either the M or N sized connectors to both the R44 and the Talentcell and rotate the plugs 360deg with no hiccups. 

You could certainly use other 9V batteries out with with the proper amperage while also considering the proper polarity in the signal path.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #499 on: March 05, 2022, 04:59:27 PM »
I've been using the Talentcell battery ever since acquiring my R44 ~4 years ago and it has worked very well. The Talentcell output diameter is more similar to the DC input diameter of the R44 than with the older gray 9V batteries. In my personal experience, I can fit either the M or N sized connectors to both the R44 and the Talentcell and rotate the plugs 360deg with no hiccups. 

You could certainly use other 9V batteries out with with the proper amperage while also considering the proper polarity in the signal path.

So if I bought this, for instance, what cable would I need / is there a way to physically differentiate the plugs to keep from connecting the wrong way?

https://www.amazon.com/TalentCell-Rechargeable-11000mAh-14500mAh-26400mAh/dp/B016BJCRUO?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Offline audBall

« Reply #500 on: March 05, 2022, 08:51:28 PM »
My Talentcell model is slightly different, however I'd expect the output diameter to be the same.

I use an old Radioshack Adaptaplug cable with M and N connectors, and simply swap the orientation of one the connectors 180 degress versus the other, doesn't matter which end (see photo below, note the "+ Tip" under the M connector, which is present on the other side of the cable underneath the N connector). The output polarity of the Talentcell is opposite that of the R44 DC input.

Or you could reach out to our resident cable maker, Ted, for a much more refined solution cut to length. The Adaptaplug cable is 6 feet or so.

One thing I love about this cable is that it also fits the Aerco MP2 DC input perfectly as well, and the MP2 is "floating" accepting either polarity, so this cable handles all my needs.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 11:47:43 PM by audBall »
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #501 on: March 07, 2022, 03:36:33 PM »
I use the same Tallentcell linked above, powering the R-44 using a cable with inverted polarity that I found on Amazon intended for guitar pedals.  It fits directly into both battery and recorder requiring no adapters.  It's identifiable as the "reversed polarity cable for the R44" by having a white molded housing on the end that plugs into the R-44 while the cable itself and battery-end plug are black.

When setting things up, I have a habit of always looking to make sure the plug going into the R44 is white before turning it on. 

Whatever route you go, have some method of visually identifying the correct power cable.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #502 on: March 08, 2022, 09:45:22 AM »
Thanks for all the battery feedback...haven't decided my next course of action, but I think I can get ~3.5-4 hours with all 4 channels going, powered, with my current dvd battery. That should really be enough for me, for now, as I don't think I'll be running that configuration very often.

To that point, I recorded w/ a board feed for the first time in forever, sunday night. I had considered running the board into a R07, and using the R44 to power 4 different mics. Scrapped that plan ultimately, as I wanted to use the same recorder for both the mics and the board feed.

Pretty pleased with the result: https://archive.org/details/ryleywalker2022-03-06.cm33.sbd.detroitlightning

I hadn't synced up sources like this in a while, so it took some time to get it right (same recorder is doable for me, but when we start talking about different clocks, stretching, etc. i start to lose a bit of interest). Found a few sections of the wav, and utilized number of samples to get as close as I could. Tried it out with a few different calculations, and ultimately think I got it pretty good. Had a really nicely mixed board feed, so ran with that as a primary, then mics at about -6db to fill things in. Anyway, feeling more confident about it now - hope to have more chances to do this on a regular basis. Having a taping friendly band, and a really nice/helpful sound engineer really goes a long way...

From a workflow standpoint, I did the following:
-24/48 recording
-Did all editing in the 32 bit realm
-Synced up timing first
-Did edits (envelope to lower one section, mix & render, normalize, balance gain between sources, mix down to one stereo track, fades, export to wav)

Anyway, just wanted to share! Any thoughts, feedback, critiques are welcomed! I've had the R44 for a few years now, but still haven't done a ton of recording with multiple sources - so always looking to get better & figure out the best process for me (with my skill level & tolerance for post production...)

Offline audBall

« Reply #503 on: March 13, 2022, 01:53:56 PM »
I use the same Tallentcell linked above, powering the R-44 using a cable with inverted polarity that I found on Amazon intended for guitar pedals.  It fits directly into both battery and recorder requiring no adapters.  It's identifiable as the "reversed polarity cable for the R44" by having a white molded housing on the end that plugs into the R-44 while the cable itself and battery-end plug are black.

Ohh nice, I just grabbed a similar one from Amazon made by VoodooLAB. It actually terminates to the same two inner diameters as the M and N adaptaplugs (2.1 and 2.5mm), one black and one red. Way better solution and much shorter.

edit to add link:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008NCVT02
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 11:27:10 AM by audBall »
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline seethreepo

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #504 on: March 13, 2022, 11:24:03 PM »

Ohh nice, I just grabbed a similar one from Amazon made by VoodooLAB. It actually terminates to the same two inner diameters as the M and N adaptaplugs (2.1 and 2.5mm), one black and one red. Way better solution and much shorter.

Could you post a link please
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline audBall

« Reply #505 on: March 14, 2022, 11:28:13 AM »
^ Here you go. I also edited my link above.

You might need to select from the Buying Options on the right side of the screen.
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline seethreepo

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #506 on: March 14, 2022, 02:50:47 PM »
^ Here you go. I also edited my link above.

You might need to select from the Buying Options on the right side of the screen.

Thanks Appreciate it.
+T

real recorder > phone
 FOB > Taper Section

Offline seethreepo

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve

real recorder > phone
 FOB > Taper Section

Offline audBall

« Reply #508 on: March 14, 2022, 03:26:07 PM »
The usa Amazon said unavailable. 

If you select Buying Options on the right-hand side of the screen you should be able to order from Chicago Music Exchange or a couple others.

If you are using a Talentcell, either the red or black ends will fit either the battery or the Edirol. Personally, I have found that the inner diameter difference between the two sizes (2.5 - 2.1mm = 0.4mm total) does not make a difference. YMMV.
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #509 on: March 17, 2022, 12:50:08 PM »
^That's my experience as well.

I just pulled out and ran my OCM R44 last night, in support of a 4 microphone config consisting a of wider than typical near-spaced supercardioid PAS pair + center Mid/Side pair which I find really helpful in some rooms.  Love this recorder. 
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com