Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Star quads and silver cables in same run?  (Read 1995 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Star quads and silver cables in same run?
« on: August 31, 2004, 08:14:04 AM »
Is it OK to use silver cable from mics to gear bag and short run star quads to V3. Normally I use actives down to the mic bodies and then short run right angle starquads to V3, but sometimes I run the bodies up top and use silver down to the short runs. Is that defeating the purpose of using silver?
Thanks, Tony

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
Re: Star quads and silver cables in same run?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 08:25:58 AM »
i have heard alot of people say that you can def hear a difference when doing something like that, versus straight silver

ive never tried it, so i cant verify

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 09:14:29 AM »
Is it ok?  Sure.  However you're probably negating any of the benefits of the silver cables once you add the starquads in.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 09:23:06 AM »
I thought so. I have short run silvers with right angle ends that I made myself, but they keep shorting out. Those right angle XLR's are so hard to put together. Ant tips on how to connect right angle XLR's?

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 12:43:10 PM »
I also battled this issue when I made a pair of quad silver interconnects with right angle XLR's to feed into my V3. One cable kept shorting out. Ened up resolding the connector on the shielding making sure that when it DID flex or bend it would not make contact with any of the other pin locations (was my issue). While you are assembling, think about HOW the cable will flex while its in your bag or being used. If you can see just how any of the wires might touch each other then you can configure them in such a fastion so it they won't. I know it sounds like a no brainer, but its more difficult than it sounds when working with 90deg. connectors and quad wire configurations (not much room in there). Even if there is a single strand from the braded sheilding that can short out it will cause issues. There really only is one way to wire/solder quad wires to prevent this unless you use heat shrink tubing over the other two connector pins to prevent shorting out. Took me about two attempts to get it right but I did and no matter how I flex or bend it doesn't short out now! Can be very tricky... ::)

LoS
Microtech Gefell SMS2000's (M20 & M21 caps) > Luminous Audio Monarch II's or Audio Magic Silvers > MixPre 3
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661
Core Sound Stealthy Cardiod mics > Battbox> Tascam DR-7

Former Nak CM300 & CM700 Vet (CP1, CP2, CP3 & CP4 caps), MX-100

Its 420.....24/7.....365!! :-)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com