Gear / Technical Help > Post-Processing, Computer / Streaming / Internet Devices & Related Activity

Transferring cassettes on Mac OS

(1/6) > >>

tapeheadtoo:
I would like to transfer some old cassettes.  I have a working tape deck and am running Catalina and Mojave on separate computers.  I can't figure out how to get line in audio on either one.  System Preferences > Sound only gives option for built-in microphone, nothing for external microphone.  Furthermore there is no option for toggling the physical jack from headphone to any type of input.  Does anyone have experience with this?  What are my options?

dyneq:
What hardware do you have?

nassau73:
Does this help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJPz6azGnBc

botz:

--- Quote from: tapeheadtoo on June 28, 2020, 03:00:25 PM ---I would like to transfer some old cassettes.

--- End quote ---
Out of curiosity;  whatcha got?

morst:

--- Quote from: tapeheadtoo on June 28, 2020, 03:00:25 PM ---I would like to transfer some old cassettes.  I have a working tape deck and am running Catalina and Mojave on separate computers.  I can't figure out how to get line in audio on either one.  System Preferences > Sound only gives option for built-in microphone, nothing for external microphone.  Furthermore there is no option for toggling the physical jack from headphone to any type of input.  Does anyone have experience with this?  What are my options?

--- End quote ---
There is an app on Mojave which controls sound input & output. It's called AUDIO MIDI SETUP
On my machine it's located in the Applications folder > Utilities folder

On the left side it has a sidebar panel which lists all available inputs and outputs. When you click on each of them, you can adjust settings like # of channels, bit depth, sample rate, and format (float or integer? Mine doesn't offer options other than integer right now)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version