Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: When a Manufacturer says 'Use ONLY Our Power Supply'  (Read 350 times)

Offline fanofjam

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
When a Manufacturer says 'Use ONLY Our Power Supply'
« on: May 21, 2024, 11:23:25 AM »
Does everyone ALWAYS heed this warning from gear manufacturers?  I mean, tell me if I'm wrong, but if you take care to properly replicate the OEM design specs, then you should be OK to use a non-OEM replacement.  The reason I ask this of course is that some OEMs will charge ridiculous amounts for their OEM wall warts. 

Are there any other design considerations besides...

- tip polarity
- tip design/type
- input voltage
- transformer specifics, ie amperage, and if it has a voltage cut-out at a certain charge voltage in the case of battery chargers.

TIA

« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 11:26:45 AM by fanofjam »

Offline breakonthru

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: When a Manufacturer says 'Use ONLY Our Power Supply'
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2024, 11:43:23 AM »
Remember they are CYA in most cases, and people like yourself are outside of their target audience.

You pretty much hit all criteria tho some supplies may work better for a given design, i.e transformer vs switching power design and how clean that power is to the unit.

Remember audiophiles will spend endless dollars on hi-end power supplies for their gear, but the end result depends on the design architecture of the gear itself and how immune it is to dirty power

in this case its hard to go wrong with "pure" DC battery power at cell voltage, vs say regulated power stepped up or down from cell voltage

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 10:42:09 PM »
Its a your break it you own it situation.  If something else works then it works but if you fry the piece of gear any warranty would be voided.    In that case is it worth saving a few bucks and how sure are you that it will work?   ???

Offline fanofjam

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:20:45 PM »
Its a your break it you own it situation.  If something else works then it works but if you fry the piece of gear any warranty would be voided.    In that case is it worth saving a few bucks and how sure are you that it will work?   ???

Got no problem with that line of thinking. 

That said, most of the times I encounter this situation though is years after the gear was purchased new and you've purchased your gear second-hand.  The wal-wart has been long since lost... or wasn't sent along to the second owner.  You retrieve a manual from the web and in bold letters you see the 'USE ONLY OUR PSU' warning.  Except now instead of $80 for a wall-wart from the OEM... IF... they still sold them, they no longer service this particular gear and don't sell OEM parts anymore, so your only OEM option is a $150 wal-wart on ebay because it's the ONLY one available in internet-land.  In this case, I'm definitely going to look into DIY options.

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • We create auditory illusions, not reproductions
« Reply #4 on: Today at 04:55:50 PM »
Have never had a problem when taking the appropriate precautions.

As an almost always battery user, the clean power "straight from battery cells" thing breakonthru mentions which avoids all conversion, voltage step-up/down, power ground loops, etc, certainly feels good and may avoid some noise problems, although how much it actually matters will depend on the design of the gear and the particular situation.

But do take the appropriate precautions and don't blow your shit up!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com