Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA d:VICE just announced  (Read 158608 times)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
Re: DPA d:VICE just announced
« Reply #450 on: December 19, 2019, 09:56:32 AM »

i think many will back me up that metarecorder is the software of choice

I'm a happy user, except I can't figure out what it is doing to levels.  Whatever levels I set in the DPA app, the next time I set up the DPA app levels turn up maxed out, and I have to reset them.  So far have not had any clipping, things seem to be working okay, but it's a nagging worry.

Jeff

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #451 on: December 21, 2019, 12:37:30 AM »
did my first field recording with MMA-A app 1.0.2(4) last night, was flawless

also first time recording to .CAF, just used audacity to open and save as .wav

Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #452 on: December 24, 2019, 07:16:18 AM »
for those who want something slightly easier on the eyes than the SE, there are new $99 6S at walmart

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Total-Wireless-Apple-iPhone-6s-32GB-Prepaid-Smartphone-Space-Gray/767320621

unlike straighttalk, apparently these unlock easily with rsim:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heicard-Unlock-Sim-Card-for-iPhone-11-Pro-XS-Max-XR-X-8-7-6s-6-Plus-iOS-13-LTE-R/192582091314?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

basically same hardware as SE aside from 3D touch and better selfie cam

reportedly the SE beats 6S in battery life in normal use, but thats probably due to screen size. if using as a recorder with screen off the 6S might match or beat it
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #453 on: December 29, 2019, 01:42:01 PM »
for research purposes i upgraded to 13.3 on a fresh phone, installed only dpa and metarecorder apps

OS used a scant 7.4 of 32GB, not too bad

powering 4061s, starting at 97%, in airplane mode, wifi off, background app refresh turned off, i let it run until it died

6hr4 min, the resulting .caf file was  automatically saved in proper readable fashion before shutdown
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 10:00:26 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #454 on: December 30, 2019, 11:33:43 AM »
for research purposes i upgraded to 13.3 on a fresh phone, installed only dpa and metarecorder apps

powering 4061s, starting at 97%, in airplane mode, wifi off, background app refresh turned off, i let it run until it died

6hr4 min, the resulting .caf file was  automatically saved in proper readable fashion before shutdown

What type of phone exactly?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #455 on: December 31, 2019, 12:14:22 AM »
thats an iphone SE

i think i can beat it with screen off but i like screen on and dimmed to monitor that sits at least recording

What type of phone exactly?

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #456 on: February 10, 2020, 04:03:51 AM »
had an issue last night

was double packin' d:vice rigs, one in each pocket (thank god)

running into metarecorder

would check em every few songs, between songs

at about 40 minute mark i pull em out an the red 'app in action' bar at the top was not lit up on one of the iphones lock screen, i pull up the app and the counter was rolling... but only said 20 minutes.

i did nothing.. did not intentionally stop (and unlikely that i accidentally stopped as i have it set to long-press)... but somehow i lost 20 minutes of recording, and it cuts from banter to banter so it did something when i checked it

thank god i had a backup but unfortunately the cut was in the 4011 rig not the 4061 "backup" rig. it is nice to be able to take 2 full rigs thru metal detectors tho

something made it pause. this was the one phone i updated to ios13, have never seen this before

need to try to reproduce.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 05:31:34 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #457 on: February 10, 2020, 09:00:35 PM »
here are the two sources, not sure which one to seed

full sound of omnis hard to beat when crowd is quiet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AArfSawjWYs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCgWkyDx6gA

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #458 on: February 11, 2020, 09:33:54 AM »
I prefer B
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline lerond

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #459 on: February 11, 2020, 12:02:38 PM »
A has a character I would call congestion ... if you only had that source, I wouldn't be unhappy, but B sounds more natural to me.
ain't no party like a katydid party
jumpin' and a hoppin' and singin' them songs!

Offline kliked

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #460 on: February 11, 2020, 12:43:17 PM »
B. 

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #461 on: February 11, 2020, 12:53:11 PM »
B.

With non-critical listening gear at work, B hands down.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #462 on: February 11, 2020, 02:50:17 PM »
A= 4061
B= 4011

4061s have their place, tho. if that was a stack tape without a lot of reverberant sound you guys might have considered it an option

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #463 on: February 29, 2020, 06:17:26 AM »
that show was very very very loud. same with the 2/13 show i recorded from near the same spot

in both cases on the 4061 rig I had the gain on the d:vice set to its minimum (not uncommon when  >:D at loud shows, better safe than sorry), and it was constantly hitting -6dB with a few transients over -3dB. not far from overloading the input with the lo-sens 4061s

with the rig at exact same settings, my 114dB calibrator with a 1K sine wave produces -20.1 dB and -20.5dB signals with the two 4061s respectively. I know a 1khz sine wave may not translate to actual wideband program material, but that show would have had to have been in excess of 125 dB with peaks close to, if not over, 130dB, right?

OSHA allows 15 minutes of exposure at 115 dB... per usual id guess 80+% of people had no hearing protection whatsoever. heck my 15dB etys prob werent adequate.

the good news is i dont hear any overloading of the mics, so its fair to say the d:vice powers them to their limit in high SPL situations

if 114dB is -20dB with 4061s, FSD would be 134dB. which is right about the 1% distortion spec of a CORE 4061 so the input level is definitely well matched

assuming the 4061s are actually 6mV/Pa sensitivity (based on what ive seen from DPA this is probably nominal and is actually +/- a few mV, but lets say 6mV/Pa for lack of a better number), roughly:  134dB = 100 Pa = 600 mV = -4 dBV = -2 dBU

4060s at 20 mV/Pa would have overloaded the d:vice at 2.0V/+8 dBU/+6 dBV
so working backwards a practical limit of the 4060s with a d:vice would be 600mV / 20 mV/Pa = 30 Pa = 123dB (again must be a good match. 4060 core spec must be in error as the webpage cites 1% distortion at 134 dB RMS, then a max SPL (10% distortion) at... 134 dB. Both of those cant be right, i would bet the 1% distortion level is right in the 120s for a mic that sensitive

notably the MMP-G lists its spec as maximum output voltage of 1.3V RMS/1.8V peak. but that would definitely depend on the capsule used. my 4018V caps are ~5 mV/PA and are probably 10 dB lower than the 4061s in the same environment. i used some gain with those

maybe those max voltages are at very high SPL with a super sensitive cap like the 40 mV/Pa 4006 and 2006 omnis

as an aside, according to DPA support, the only difference between their various mic preamps is max SPL, although they list different dynamic ranges, they say that with all of their preamps the noise of the capsule itself is greater than the preamp

their published specs of max SPL with 4011:
MMP-A 159 dB
MMP-C 152 dB
MMP-E 144 dB

when asked, they said MMP-G is 140 dB max at its usual 5V supply (and 142dB if you were to build a 9V bat box)

there were times i thought the d:vice setup wasnt up to super loud music, my faith is restored. after this show, i fully believe that quoted 140 dB max, which is more than adequate for our purposes. youd need to be close mic'ing instruments to *need* the full bodies (not that they cant offer lower distortion in the 130s, but diminishing returns is a thing)

the obsolete 4022s were spec'd at 145 dB which is pretty much identical to the MMP-E, as expected. For the d:vice to get within a few dB of those without phantom power is impressive indeed
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 05:02:49 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline moondust.and.solitude

• Taperssection Regular
  • Holding hands singing kumbaya
« Reply #464 on: March 01, 2020, 04:05:58 AM »
I may have overlooked the answer in previous pages, but is this setup capable of 24/96 recording in .CAF?

EDIT/UPDATE: I did find the answers on pages 3-5 in this topic/thread  :bigsmile:
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 04:16:44 AM by moondust.and.solitude »
Mics: Lewitt LCT-040; Naiant X-X Omni's; Audio Technica U853AW's; Sony ECM-166BMP's; Audio Technica AT-853's.
Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Cables; Canare Custom Cables, UniStar LilRed Whip.
Recorders: Tascam DR-100mkIII; Tascam DR-05x, Tascam PortaCapture X8, Sony PCM-A10.
Misc: Samsung EVO Plus 128GB SDXC Cards.
RayoVac Fusion Batteries.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.123 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com