Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R-09 Firmware 1.10 to be released 11.17.06  (Read 16781 times)

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
R-09 Firmware 1.10 to be released 11.17.06
« on: November 16, 2006, 01:25:36 PM »
I am sneaky, here is the readme:
The R-09 System Program

This system program is used to update the R-09 to the most recent version.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changes [Ver. 1.03 -> Ver. 1.10]

* Can now play and record to SDHC (High Capacity) memory cards.

The currently available SDHC cards that Roland has tested for compatibility with the R-09. (As of November 14, 2006)

- Panasonic RP-SDR04-GJ1K 4GB

Note: MacOS 9 is not compatible with over 2GB file system in SDHC.

* Improved the transfer speed when transferring recorded files to a computer over a USB connection.

* Increased the time from when the Power Switch is pressed during operation until the power is cut so that the power is not turned off suddenly.

* Revised how the time stamp on the file is handled when using the Move or Copy finder operations.
    -> Move: The original time stamp is preserved.
       Copy: The date and time when copying is the creation date and time; the original time stamp is used when revising a file.

* When using the character selection operation with the Rename Finder operation, the selection returns to the first character "!" after the final character, "}" is selected. The reverse operation is also the same.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changes [Version 1.02 -> Version 1.03]

* Improved the access method to the SD memory card to support more varieties of SD memory cards.
 * Improved operational stability when running in high temperature environments.

Items required for the R-09 update

The following items are required to update the R-09 system program.
 * R-09 unit
 * R-09 USB cable (supplied with the unit)
 * Supported SD memory card (recommend using the SD memory card supplied with the R-09)

Note: The memory card must be formatted on the R-09 and have at least 2 MB free.

How to check the version

Before downloading, check the R-09 version.

Turn power off to the R-09 unit.

Turn power on to the R-09 unit again and check the left part of the screen during startup for the version number.

Note: If the version is the most recent, there is no need for the update.

Update cautions (important)

Do not use this system program in products other than the R-09. Using the improper system program may damage the data or system.

Note: Use the supplied AC adapter for the update. Do not use batteries for the power supply during the update.

Update procedure

The update procedure is described below.

Note: Do not turn off power to the R-09 unit until the update is completed.
 Note: Settings such as the display contrast and recording format are initialized during the update. We recommend copying down important settings before beginning.

Turn power off to the R-09.

Insert the SD memory card in the R-09.

Turn power on to the R-09 unit.

Connect the R-09 to the computer with the USB cable.
-> The R-09 is detected by the computer.

Copy the DMZ15.UPD file (already extracted) to the R-09 root directory.

Disconnect the R-09 from the computer in the following manner.

[Safely disconnecting the R-09]

When using Windows
Disconnect the connection with the R-09 using the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon located in the taskbar in the lower right part of the screen. Disconnect the USB cable connecting the R-09 and the computer.

When using Macintosh
After dragging the R-09 compact flash icon to the trash can, disconnect the cable connecting the R-09 to the computer.

Turn power off to the R-09.

Turn power on while pressing the [REC] button.

When the R-09 detects the update, the following screen is shown.

In the place where "PROG: 1.03" is shown, the current version of R-09 being used is displayed.

Note: The numbers to the right of "BOOT:" or "UPDT:" do not need to be checked.

Note: "-- no card--" or "--no update file--" may be temporarily displayed until the screen described above appears. This is not a malfunction.

If "PROG: 1.10" is already displayed, there is no need to update. Press the [POWER] button to turn off power.

If the SD memory card cannot be detected, "-- no card--" is displayed; if the update cannot be found on the SD memory card, "--no update file--" is displayed. If this occurs, turn off power, return to the previous procedure, and check the SD memory card and update data.

Press the [REC Button].
 -> The following is displayed and the update process continues automatically.

The update takes about 30 seconds.

[Caution]
While the above is displayed, do not turn off power to the R-09 or remove the SD memory card.

When the update completes, the following is shown.

Press the [POWER] button to turn off power.

This completes the update process. The new system program will run from the next startup.

Review how to check the version, and then verify that the version was updated.

After verifying the version has been updated, either reconnect the R-09 to a computer and delete DMZ15.UPD from the R-09 root directory or format the SD memory card on the R-09.

------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright (C) 2006 Roland Corporation. All rights reserved.
The contents of the file may not be modified, duplicated, distributed, or transmitted without the permission of Roland Corporation.

Here is a link to the file:
http://download.yousendit.com/A6A3B0B0242A100C

Unfortunatley I dont see a need to install it (I use the card reader built into my laptop for transfers and the 4gb card we are all using)... not to mention I wont have access to my R09 until after midnight and I know some of you will jump right on this :-)

Enjoy
Greg

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
Re: R-09 Firmware 1.10 to be released 11.17.06
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 01:40:52 PM »
Well now, it looks like the R9 offically supports 4gig cards.  It looks like santa will be bringing a R9 to my house afterall.  Now I need to slip it into a conversation with the wife.  I think I will start her off with some wine >:D.
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline gmm6797

• Homepage
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 01:51:41 PM »
I have been using mine with 4gb cards from the beginning with no problems at all

Offline hyperplane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 01:55:38 PM »
I guess the only questions I have are:

1) After updating to this new firmware v1.10, will the R-09 still write files greater than 2GB?

2) If there's something buggy with this release (e.g. the R-09 stops working with the Transcend 4GB card), can one revert back to firmware v1.03?

3) I wonder if this firmware will work fine with other SDHC cards as well; I know SanDisk has a 4GB SDHC coming out at the beginning of 2007.

EDIT: I know that no one can answer these questions yet. Just thinking out loud here.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 01:57:28 PM by hyperplane »

Offline gmm6797

• Homepage
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 02:09:29 PM »
1) After updating to this new firmware v1.10, will the R-09 still write files greater than 2GB?
Alreaady does

2) If there's something buggy with this release (e.g. the R-09 stops working with the Transcend 4GB card), can one revert back to firmware v1.03?
Just reapply it, I have never had problems reapplying old firmware on any decives, including my R1 and MT and computer parts

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 02:39:57 PM »
Alreaady does

Thanks, Greg. Yes, I know the R-09 already does write files greater than 2GB (which is why I used the phrasing "will the R-09 still write files greater than 2GB?"). Basically, I'm wondering if this firmware update might "ruin" the fact that it will write a continuous ~4GB WAV file.

Just reapply it, I have never had problems reapplying old firmware on any decives, including my R1 and MT and computer parts
[/quote]

Excellent, hopefully that's the case. Now I need to buy a 4GB card.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 02:47:07 PM »

I've seen many firmware upgrades that are one-way only, so it is always good to check.. Especially given how many of us are already running non-SDHC compliant cards.

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 02:55:34 PM »

I've seen many firmware upgrades that are one-way only, so it is always good to check.. Especially given how many of us are already running non-SDHC compliant cards.

fully agreed.  if someone could be so kind as to try a downgrade to 1.03 from 1.1, please report!

Offline gmm6797

• Homepage
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 03:11:49 PM »
fully agreed.  if someone could be so kind as to try a downgrade to 1.03 from 1.1, please report!

1.03>1.10 would be an UPgrade LOL

Offline sleepypedro

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 04:35:39 PM »

1.03>1.10 would be an UPgrade LOL

i said "to try a downgrade to 1.03 from 1.1" -- maybe the inverted phrasing got ya, but from 1.1 to 1.03... that would be a downgrade.  but whatever.

i just decided to take the bull by the horns.  i've upgraded to 1.1.  the transcend 4gb is not only recognized, it's also formatting it successfully now.

thanks roland!

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 04:38:32 PM »
i just decided to take the bull by the horns.  i've upgraded to 1.1.  the transcend 4gb is not only recognized, it's also formatting it successfully now.

thanks roland!

"Hey Mikey! He likes it!"

Offline sleepypedro

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 04:49:33 PM »
and i'm doing a 2hr 24 minute record test right now.  rick james greatest hits!   >:D

i'll let you know how it behaves.  (but this will also be my longest recording session to date with it, so maybe i'm not the best to say.)

Offline gewwang

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 05:04:12 PM »
good work sleepy.

actually i've recorded 3:55 continuous. what i'm interested in is if the  2hr plus file will now play back on the r-09 so i can listen to it on the drive home from the show.

Offline sleepypedro

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 07:25:28 PM »
very happy to report in with these findings....

at 2:04:12, the r09 rolled over into a new file.

the transition was seamless.

no problem playing back the 2:04:12 chunk.  there was, however, a gap on playback when it flipped from file #1 to file #2.  i was really surprised to find no gap when i merged the two files in sf8.

i never did a time trial of copying a 2g file to my desktop via the r09 connected in USB 2.0 with the previous firmware, but it completed the job in 7:54 under 1.10.

also, should anyone find the need, i was also able to successfully downgrade from 1.10 to 1.03.  and then yes, take it back up to 1.10.

i think this is covered in the docs, but the upgrade process takes you back to default factory settings -- among which are recording at 16/44.  make sure you take a moment to change it back to your favorite flavor before proceeding.

LMK if anyone wants to know more.  i'll be glad to share flacs of the transition between two files, if anyone needs to hear what a seamless transition sounds like!   :P

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2006, 07:56:12 PM »
Enormous +T for taking the NesTea plunge and reporting the findings, sleepypedro!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.241 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com