Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: schoeps shock mount  (Read 6789 times)

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: schoeps shock mount
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2014, 07:34:56 PM »
Fair enough, as long as the issue isn't ignored completely--which I see a lot of, especially in mike setups for live performers on stage.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline jmerin

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2014, 08:43:00 AM »
looking to grab a Shure A53M . It looks decent to me
Mics: Schoeps MK4's | Schoeps MK41's | Schoeps Mk21's
Pre-Amps: Schoeps VMS02ib | Nbox Platinum KCY
Cables: KCY 250/5 Ig (2)
Recorders: Sony M10  | Tascam 70D l Edirol R-44

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2014, 06:39:46 AM »
looking to grab a Shure A53M . It looks decent to me

The donut design is the next best anti-shock mount after teh Rycote Lyre and the Cinela Osix.

But it is important, as has been said, to properly decouple the cable.  Personally, I use Rycote S-series XLR tails with a thin and flexible cable to do this and then attach these to the main cable.

If you use the Shure donut, make sure yo properly clamp the cable to the stand and alow a flexible tail from that point to the mic.  In fact, this is more important than the mount in vibration isolation.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2014, 06:17:43 PM »
I have been using the Schoeps a20s shocks for a few years now and I love them. Its the little things like the cable clip thing that holds your cables in place, that I love. Super useful for running active bars. But I really want to try out the Rycote shocks too
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline 0vu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2014, 09:28:52 AM »
I've been using Schoeps A20 and A20S mounts for well over 20 years now. Yes, they're expensive but for my money they're actually not bad value. Like most things Schoeps, the up front cost isn't cheap but unlike the vast majority of mic manufacturers the aftersales service is excellent and ongoing support is quick and very reasonably priced. The bits that wear out or break - the mic clip itself (especially if, like me you abuse them by fitting the larger diameter Neumann KM8x and KM100 mics in them) and the plastic bases which seem to crack after several years of quite heavy use (the current A20 mounts use metal bases so that won't happen any more) and the elastics which just wear out - are all available as spare parts and are cheap to replace, extending the life of the mount indefinitely. I keep packs of spare clips, bases and elastics in my mic mounts cases for any quick repairs when out and about. And of course, swapping an A20 to an A20S (or vice versa) is just a matter of spending a few pounds on a set of other elastics and five minutes to swap them over.

However, for all the reasons already mentioned, I'm now gradually changing over to the Rycote Invision series mounts. Some are a little less compact than the Schoeps mounts, which has raised comment a couple of times for in-picture work but they're extremely effective and so far seem to live up to their claim for being indestructible. I used to have over seventy A20/S mounts but I'm now down to around 30 and will gradually whittle it down to a handful or so. I still prefer the A20S for mounting the UMS stereo bar as none of my Rycotes seem to balance with that as well as an A20S and its double cable grip works better than the Rycote one when there are two cables going to the stereo bar.

Incidentally, I recently bought a Schoeps V4U and it came with a Schoeps branded Rycote USM shock mount so Schoeps seem to agree with the quality of the Rycote product.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 09:36:41 AM by 0vu »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com