Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sonosax SX-M2D2 Coming...  (Read 75577 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: Sonosax SX-M2D2 Coming...
« Reply #120 on: November 11, 2019, 05:52:00 PM »
reportedly these are shipping with ios 11 which works fine with metarecorder
ios 12 also good

ios13 prob work fine with d:vice but it def is a little more buggy of an OS and also takes up more space i think

if using as a dedicated recroder id test your setup with whatever OS it comes with and leave it there

i dont think you can upgrade to 12 at this point (maybe if you jailbreak it but im not that dorky when it comes to these)

also since these are new they come with a year of apple tv+ if thats your jam ($60 value)

« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 07:41:16 PM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline old and in the way

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #121 on: November 22, 2019, 01:50:57 PM »
I'm taking it out tomorrow night for Billy Strings at the Madison Covington Ky . Going to run it aes into my 744t .going to run one pair of DPA 4011c's .just a two channel pull .want to hear What this box has in it. i'll use a mobile phone later on after i try it out on some local gigs .that way if there are problems it's not as bad as a 40 dollar show.

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #122 on: November 23, 2019, 10:49:05 AM »
I'm taking it out tomorrow night for Billy Strings at the Madison Covington Ky . Going to run it aes into my 744t .going to run one pair of DPA 4011c's .just a two channel pull .want to hear What this box has in it. i'll use a mobile phone later on after i try it out on some local gigs .that way if there are problems it's not as bad as a 40 dollar show.

good luck, looking forward to hearing this swiss army knife of audio
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #123 on: November 23, 2019, 11:32:09 AM »

Looking forward to hearing your first impressions from the field.  I hope to have a set of cables made, including an AES3 XLR cable, in the near future.

For spares for the internal batteries I ordered these Panasonic batteries (identical to the Panasonic battery that came with the M2D2).

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YJRNZ62/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am leery about purchasing "shoddy bootleg batteries online" but the batteries that I received are identical to the battery that came with the unit.  Made in Japan.  Shipped from the USA.  The price on this 6 pack has gone up $2 in the past week.

I'm using this "smart battery charger" for the M2D2 internal battery.  it took between 5-6 hours to fully charge these batteries.

https://www.thomasdistributing.com/Nitecore-Digicharger-D2-Two-Channel-Universal-Battery-Charger_p_7065.html

« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 10:28:28 AM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #124 on: November 24, 2019, 10:17:38 AM »
So last night at Billy Strings . Madison Th Covington .i was shut down before i got started . First they came outside and said no stands . so ok . Then they said no taping from the floor but the Balcony would be ok . So in i go and lug the bag up three flights to the balcony started to get gear out and they come up and say no taping tonight per management. so i ask for supervisor and he says the same thing so no go last night . Bummer . New management at the venue so i don't Know .It's a first for Billy hope this is not a new policy.

Offline beenjammin

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #125 on: November 25, 2019, 02:56:06 PM »
I got my M2D2 last week and have had a chance to test it out. This was a replacement for a my first unit which presented tons of pink noise/distortion on chs. 1 and 2 after only 20 mins. My dealer was quick to resolve the problem and the new unit seems to present no such issues.

Some unorganized impressions follow. For reference, I do nature/field recording and run Schoeps Omnis in either AB or with a Jecklin disk. I have used the SD 702, the Nagra Seven and currently own the Sonosax R4+.

-Build quality: this bests every recorder/preamp I've ever hand in my hands. Body and encoders are Leica-quality. The screen is small but readable.

-The unit turns on/off in an instant. It's immediately recognizable as a Core Audio device on macOS Sierra and, to my surprise, works with the iPhone flawlessly with the basic lightening to usb camera kit that SAX recommends.

-Audio quality: The preamps/AD are on par with the R4+ which is the best sounding portable recorder I've ever heard. Headphone stage is equally impressive. I use the Sennheiser HD 25s, which are efficient, so I have no idea how it might handle more taxing headphones.

-Powering: I set it up to run 2chs with P48 ON and headphones to see how long the battery would last. I wasn't actually sending the 1s and 0s to my iPhone, but that said I got 5 hours before it powered down. 

My expectations were high for this product, and they've been met and surpassed so far.

If it works for me in the field, I might sell the R4+. I only run 2chs, and I don't believe I'll miss out on sound quality with the M2D2.

Offline beenjammin

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #126 on: December 01, 2019, 01:57:08 PM »
SAX posted the following the FB Users Group:

"Message to SX-M2D2 users: We encountered an electronic component problem on the first series of devices.
The analog mic/line inputs may in some cases not support a short circuit of the 48 V phantom power supply. Therefore, it is imperative not to switch on the phantom power when connecting an unbalanced source to the analog inputs.
We apologize for this malfunction which is already fixed on the devices delivered from today. The first series will be modified at Sonosax's expense for users who request it."

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #127 on: December 01, 2019, 02:34:55 PM »
What’s the street price on this? Other than a phone, has anyone else had success with aes> spdif into a bit bucket?
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #128 on: December 02, 2019, 04:08:07 PM »
What’s the street price on this? Other than a phone, has anyone else had success with aes> spdif into a bit bucket?
1390.00 at Gotham sound . I've tested it aes into a 744t . and it sounded fine . also tested with iphone usb .also good . haven't had it out at a show yet.at least one that didn't shut me down.(see above ) . Will get this out on the 7th with i Phone .

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #129 on: December 10, 2019, 10:22:45 AM »

https://www.sonosax.ch/sononews-december-2019/

SONONEWS December 2019

"After exhibiting at IBC and AES in New York this fall, the Sonosax team moved to its winter quarters in Switzerland.  There is no shortage of work: following an inversion of components, the SX-M2D2s in the first series are fragile. For safety, the entire first batch delivered was recalled to the factory and modified by us.   Of course, the new devices do not have the defect and there are therefore no more defective devices in circulation today."

This was posted to the FB Sonosax Users group last week:

“Message to SX-M2D2 users: We encountered an electronic component problem on the first series of devices.

The analog mic/line inputs may in some cases not support a short circuit of the 48 V phantom power supply. Therefore, it is imperative not to switch on the phantom power when connecting an unbalanced source to the analog inputs.

We apologize for this malfunction which is already fixed on the devices delivered from today.  The first series will be modified at Sonosax's expense for users who request it.

I'm awaiting instructions from Trew Audio for returning my unit for repair. 

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #130 on: December 10, 2019, 01:14:32 PM »

SONONEWS December 2019

"After exhibiting at IBC and AES in New York this fall, the Sonosax team moved to its winter quarters in Switzerland.  There is no shortage of work: following an inversion of components, the SX-M2D2s in the first series are fragile. For safety, the entire first batch delivered was recalled to the factory and modified by us.   Of course, the new devices do not have the defect and there are therefore no more defective devices in circulation today."

Ditto on my unit from gotham sound .waiting on word .

“Message to SX-M2D2 users: We encountered an electronic component problem on the first series of devices.

We apologize for this malfunction which is already fixed on the devices delivered from today.  The first series will be modified at Sonosax's expense for users who request it.

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #131 on: December 10, 2019, 01:16:36 PM »

SONONEWS December 2019

Ditto on my unit that was purchased from Gotham Sound.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #132 on: December 10, 2019, 03:47:01 PM »
Plugging in an unbalanced line or mic source could roast the mic/line input? Yeah, let them fix this for you.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #133 on: December 10, 2019, 03:49:08 PM »
So Gotham sent me a ups return label and they will forward it onto sonosax. turnaround ?

Offline beenjammin

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #134 on: December 12, 2019, 06:03:46 PM »
That's odd, I bought from Gotham and have had to deal directly with SAX. They've given me their FedEX account number, and I'm to arrange shipping there myself.

I admit that I'm a little miffed. I would have liked to have a new unit waiting for me stateside to switch out. But I understand SAX is a small company and the M2D2 is so nice that I'll get over it.

I'll keep folks updated on turn around time. I expect to ship mine out tomorrow.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com