Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ribbon mics  (Read 3931 times)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
ribbon mics
« on: August 04, 2006, 11:01:31 AM »
Hey all,
I'm thinking about picking up a single fig8 ribbon mic to play with m/s configs.  I know most ribbons don't need phantom, but does anyone know if phantom will damage a non phantom ribbon?

Matt
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 04:01:31 PM by mmmatt »
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
Re: ribon mics
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 11:16:32 AM »
Hey all,
I'm thinking about picking up a single fig8 ribbon mic to play with m/s configs.  I know most ribbons don't need phantom, but does anyone know if phantom will damage a non phantom ribbon?

Matt

I'm no expert, but I was curious and found this:
http://www.royerlabs.com/phantom.html

I would only use phantom if the ribbon is specifically a phantom-powered mic
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 11:28:18 AM »
Hey all,

Matt

It totally depends on the mic, Matt. Some will be destroyed and some not.

I reccomend looking at ShinyBox Ribbons as they are DIRT cheap(around 200 usd) and are getting wonderful reviews around the web, sometimes nudging out the larger companies(Royer, AEA) offerings for projects..

If you tell me which ribbon you end up getting I will tell you if phantom is ok or not.  Another cheap offering is the Beyer m130, which is about 500 USD, and is phenomenal(I own these)

stirinthesauce

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 11:55:03 AM »
Matt-

Peluso has a new ribbon mic out.  Introductory price is good through the end of this month, then a price raise.  It is a fig8

http://www.pelusomicrophonelab.com/R14.html

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 12:46:12 PM »
Actually I'm looking for something really cheap.  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=019&item=290013048773&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1  Not so concerned about fidelity at this point, just want to play with the image charactoristics of m/s.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

RebelRebel

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 02:50:21 PM »
that isnt a ribbon , is it/??

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 03:11:29 PM »

RebelRebel

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 03:45:32 PM »
Interesting, learn something new every day!

Be careful, old ribbons are a slippery slope do to the inherent fragile nature of them.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 04:02:15 PM »
Interesting, learn something new every day!

Be careful, old ribbons are a slippery slope do to the inherent fragile nature of them.
yeah... I thought about that, but if I can get this for ~$50 it will be a fun toy.

Matt

Offline jpschust

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Padres Rule Your Face
Re: ribbon mics
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 08:38:15 AM »
just something to be aware of, most ribbon mics are EXTREMELY sensitive and many are too sensitive for our style of taping, but there are times when they won't be- like light classical and softer music.
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 09:32:17 AM »
just something to be aware of, most ribbon mics are EXTREMELY sensitive and many are too sensitive for our style of taping, but there are times when they won't be- like light classical and softer music.
do you mean actual mechanical sensitivity?  Seems most I've read about are actually lower sensitivity electronically, and most have prettyhigh spl handling as well.

Matt

RebelRebel

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 10:03:32 AM »
the output voltage of ribbons is mostly lower than condensors, but they do pick up quite a bit of detail.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006, 07:08:33 PM »
So excuse my ignorance, but why use a ribbon? What are the advantages? Do they come in different patterns? Can you use them in a stereo pair config? I should search the web, but that'll have to wait until I get home, LOL!
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

RebelRebel

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 07:19:39 PM »
So excuse my ignorance, but why use a ribbon? What are the advantages? Do they come in different patterns? Can you use them in a stereo pair config? I should search the web, but that'll have to wait until I get home, LOL!

ribbons are a lot smoother sounding than a lot of condensors....they typically come in fig8, but there are other patterns too. yes, you can use them in a stereo pair. My favorite thing on Chamber Quartet(or one of them) is a pair of ribbons in blumlein.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2006, 08:45:52 PM »
1.  I've always wanted to play with a ribbon to see how they sound.
2.  I had a chance to pick up a figure 8 mic on the cheap!

That is why this started.

Matt

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com