Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F2 & F2-BT Ultracompact Portable Field Recorder (32-bit float)  (Read 5348 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Zoom F2 & F2-BT Ultracompact Portable Field Recorder (32-bit float)
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2020, 07:23:04 PM »
My ideal would be something like this just with two stereo inputs.

I'll settle for one stereo input...as long as the thing, you know, records two tracks.

I wonder if they have the "stereo" input on this just as a supply chain sort of thing.  Like, they're already buying tons of the stereo input jacks and it's cheaper to just use those than to buy a bunch of mono input jacks  :shrug:

The reason why these units have 3.5 mm TRS but are mono inputs is to receive lav mics that terminate in TRS plugs, such as those from Sennheiser.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2020, 07:36:48 PM »
The other thing about this unit that would be a potential deal-breaker for TS members is the max input level of -5.5 dBu.

As has been discussed at length on the F6 thread, 32-bit float recording means you don't have to set levels and can shift levels up or down by huge amounts in post without problems, but you can still overload the input if your levels are hot enough.  The +4 dBu max level on the F6 was already concerning to some people, and -5.5 dBu max on the F2 is going to be a problem much more often.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline carpa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2020, 03:43:36 AM »
Totally agree. Useless as you just move your concern about setting levels too hot in not-32 bit recorders to the concern for an input overload; with the difference that, in this latter case, you can do nothing.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2020, 08:20:25 AM »
This recorder was designed for a specific purpose--mono sound pickup via an electret lavalier mike--and like many other items available in the pro sound realm, we aren't the target market, and it's not suitable for our purposes. We're a MUCH smaller market than film/video sound (think business applications, not just Hollywood and film schools) or interview recording for broadcast production. At least in that latter category some podcasters can benefit.

In general we shouldn't get their hopes up at every little thing that those other people are getting. If you know the Tascam DR-10 L, this is an arguably better version of that--with the convenience of auto gain-ranging (IF your microphone's sensitivity and the given SPLs are within bounds), longer battery life, and (I'll have to check, but I think) possibly closer tolerances for its internal clock speed. No idea about the actual dynamic range or other qualities of the mike preamp; people REALLY need to get over the idea that a wide-range recording channel (e.g. 32-bit float, or 24-bit linear PCM for that matter) buys you ANYTHING beyond than the dynamic range of the analog electronics that feed into it. Remember chains and weakest links, please.

If you're looking for a stereo recorder in this format, among major manufacturers I think the Lectrosonics is probably about it. There may be far eastern knockoffs sooner or later, of course; good luck with those.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 05:21:09 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2020, 08:32:59 AM »
If you're looking for a stereo recorder in this format, among major manufacturers I think the Lectrosonics is probably about it. There may be far eastern knockoffs sooner or later, of course; good luck with those.

and the deity bp-trx which should be out any month now

larger than this unit (but so is the lectro spdr)
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com