Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps CMR battery box (photos inside)  (Read 3002 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Schoeps CMR battery box (photos inside)
« on: September 21, 2008, 09:19:53 PM »
based on this simple circuit from bernhard:

http://simplefuels.com/CMR.jpg

i still have one more coat of potting compound on the internal components to the right of the battery.

http://flickr.com/photos/10466474@N04/2877613432/

http://flickr.com/photos/10466474@N04/2876776503/

i hooked it up a few days ago, and the battery is still powering the mics fine, thats a good sign. Smaller batteries may be a good direction to take it.

i used 5-pin mini-xlr jacks for both input and output, but you could also do it with 4 pin mini in and 3 pin mini out (unbalanced in and out, power is 4th pin on input), would be cheap 'dont plug it in backwards' insurance. A 3-pole stereo minijack out would also work. space was a little tight inside that hammond case, but it worked, and is pretty small. mini xlrs are solid connectors, and you have unlimited options for in and out breakout cables

« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 09:22:44 PM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
Re: Schoeps CMR battery box (photos inside)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 09:50:36 PM »
Awesome! Do you have any interest in making/selling these for those of us who are not EE inclined? +T
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 09:54:46 PM »
Also, what are you using to apply gain? And weren't you looking into using the Nady XLR adapters for P48 usage?
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 09:56:55 PM »
Also, what are you using to apply gain? And weren't you looking into using the Nady XLR adapters for P48 usage?
EDIT: I read the preamps for pu$$ies thread.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 04:13:58 AM »
i havent tested msh's phantom circuit yet, got sidetracked, but thats next up!
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline ianstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 03:15:51 PM »
Awesome! Do you have any interest in making/selling these for those of us who are not EE inclined? +T

i'll second that.

[takes a number and gets in line]
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 03:47:11 PM »
well.. i am going to the electronics store today...

but i dont think any of you guys even own CMRs!

i'll second that.

Offline ianstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 04:26:08 PM »

i'll second that.

i dont, but i would buy them if you'd make me a setup with them to use with the MK capsules

then sell my cmc6's and kc5's

Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 04:35:59 PM »
i can let you try out mine if you wish ian. i'll be seeing you no later than halloween umph, right?

i'll second that.

i dont, but i would buy them if you'd make me a setup with them to use with the MK capsules

then sell my cmc6's and kc5's

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 06:04:43 PM »

i'll second that.

I don't either, but am looking to get a smaller footprint and the CMRs or Nbox looks to be the way to go. If you're building these things, I could pick up the CMRs after selling off my current setup.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 08:15:11 PM »
ok, im thinking about making a handful of these and would like a show of hands on who is in.

-4-pin mini xlr input, with 4-pin to (2) 3pin breakout cable.
-3 pin mini xlr output, with options for 3-pin to two xlrs or 3-pin to 1/8" mini
-4-pin extension cable (stereo) to allow you to run a single stereo cable up to where you y-it to the mics (my mics have 2m cables)

all cables will be shielded schoeps cables identical to the factory cmr (single channel) or kc5 (stereo) cables, switchcraft mini xlrs, neutrik full-size xlrs

battery box -  $50
input y-breakout cable (short) - $50
3-pin mini xlr output cable to 2x straight or RA xlr - $50
3-pin mini xlr output cable to minijack - $35
4-pin extension cable - 5 meter kc5 style cable - $100

those are mostly materials costs, most of the mini xlr and xlr fittings are $10 each after shipping and the schoeps cable is up to $16/meter. so im not in it for the money obviously, making $20 or less per component. I am gonna make myself a second-gen unit and would rather bang out a few at a time, all universal so we can all get along in the field.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com