Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 2 CA-11 cards pairs - each lacking one channel when recording  (Read 2542 times)

Offline sckofelng

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
2 CA-11 cards pairs - each lacking one channel when recording
« on: January 26, 2014, 11:14:14 AM »
Hi y'all, I got a huge problem.

When I wanted to check my gear for a few shows in February today I was delighted to see that both my CA-11 cards pairs (I bought a 2nd pair used working in excellent condition because the first pair made problems with one channel a month ago) couldn't give a signal for one channel. The older pair couldn't give a signal on the left and the recently bought couldn't give a signal on the right.
I am very worried at the moment as I wanted to use the recently bought mics in combination with my iRiver H320 (CF modded) in a little more than a week. I also tried recording with the mics via Audacity on my Notebook but the same occured.

Help anyone please?
Audio rig:
AT853 (w/ lowsensmod) > SP-SB11 > Sony PCM-M10

Video:
Panasonic DMC-TZ200 (manual settings)
Panasonic DMC-LX100 (manual settings)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: 2 CA-11 cards pairs - each lacking one channel when recording
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 11:37:20 AM »
Please unscrew the capsule from the mic and look at the brass tab it should be bent in an arc towards the center pin of the capsule you just unscrewed if it is not make it so. Screw the mics back together and you should be good to go.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline sckofelng

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 11:46:47 AM »
Already tried that as I saw a similar thread when googling and I just tried it again and the recently bought pair had the brass tab falling out on one cap and the older pair has nothing changing at all.
Audio rig:

Video:

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 11:56:17 AM »
Looks like you have a dilemma... Did you ever isolate the issue with the first pair. Are the wires frayed? That can happen after years of handling. You did the first thing I would think of, try the mics with different recorders to isolate if it's the mics or not. Any chance you have access to a DR-2d or another 4 track recorder? If your situation is that urgent you could do a 4 track and combine the channels properly in post, but that's a worst case scenario. Just an idea.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline sckofelng

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 12:06:15 PM »
Looks like you have a dilemma... Did you ever isolate the issue with the first pair. Are the wires frayed? That can happen after years of handling. You did the first thing I would think of, try the mics with different recorders to isolate if it's the mics or not. Any chance you have access to a DR-2d or another 4 track recorder? If your situation is that urgent you could do a 4 track and combine the channels properly in post, but that's a worst case scenario. Just an idea.

The wires of the older pair had slight traces of damage on the left channel. I don't have access to any multitrack recorders :(
Audio rig:

Video:

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 02:23:14 PM »
The quick & dirty solution would be to make a Y cable that takes the working channel of each into a single miniplug.
That would be great if the  two sets of mics are matched to each other but the chances of that are 1 in a million.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com