Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 3 foot split omnis stage lip Hunter and Amendola?  (Read 13376 times)

Offline melrorecording

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • https://archive.org/search.php?query=Ross%20Figved
    • ebay store
Re: 3 foot split omnis stage lip Hunter and Amendola?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2015, 12:16:20 PM »
sorry if this is dumb but I am still learning all the lingo what is a gak bar?
Mics: Matched rode nt5 with stock card, omni , and MJE-384K "Roadster" - Capsules /  AKG C 414-ULS/SE Special Edition Stereo Set / Line Audio 2xOM1 2xCM3, Rycote WS
Stands & Mounts: SRS SHAPEWAYS MIC CLIPS ORTF,NOS,DIN, XY for rode, ortf & Wide ORTF for Line Audio / Grace Design blumlein Bar / GAK omni bar/ Bogan, nu-era, and impact Stands
Shock Mounts: Shure, Rycote, Line Audio 
Petrol,porta brace Bags
Pre's Sound Devices 442, 2X neve 5012 portico, Grace Design V3
A\D Mytek STEREO192 ADC X2
Deck: HDP2 X2, H4, DR-05, Motu 8 pre, DR-680MK2v, HS-P82
Battery's: tekkeon MP3300 X4, Naztech PB15000 X6, GAK power cables
GAK Custom mic cables

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • 😈
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2015, 12:24:10 PM »
sorry that's not really lingo.....Ted Gakidis on this board builds split omni bars.  : ;D
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline melrorecording

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • https://archive.org/search.php?query=Ross%20Figved
    • ebay store
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2015, 12:44:47 PM »
Thank you
Mics: Matched rode nt5 with stock card, omni , and MJE-384K "Roadster" - Capsules /  AKG C 414-ULS/SE Special Edition Stereo Set / Line Audio 2xOM1 2xCM3, Rycote WS
Stands & Mounts: SRS SHAPEWAYS MIC CLIPS ORTF,NOS,DIN, XY for rode, ortf & Wide ORTF for Line Audio / Grace Design blumlein Bar / GAK omni bar/ Bogan, nu-era, and impact Stands
Shock Mounts: Shure, Rycote, Line Audio 
Petrol,porta brace Bags
Pre's Sound Devices 442, 2X neve 5012 portico, Grace Design V3
A\D Mytek STEREO192 ADC X2
Deck: HDP2 X2, H4, DR-05, Motu 8 pre, DR-680MK2v, HS-P82
Battery's: tekkeon MP3300 X4, Naztech PB15000 X6, GAK power cables
GAK Custom mic cables

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2015, 12:58:18 PM »
Ha, yeah Charlie is in my imaginary all-star screw-face band.  As imaginary producer, I'm always open to suggestions for other great 'facers'.  Tony Monaco is a shoe-in on the B3, possibly the best face man of any musician, Diz on horn (honorary), other spots tend to be revolving positions. 
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2015, 01:03:10 PM »
Glad it all worked out. They must be bringin' the heat. We're shooting for 116 today!
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2015, 01:08:34 PM »
Ouch. Grew up there, nasty. Enjoy the show if you're going, well worth it!

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2015, 01:58:07 PM »
I don't have the OMs--just the CM3s which to me are very pleasing.  I recorded a pianist with DPA4061s and CM3s this week.  Pianist chose the CM3 recording.  The small body of the OM, the feedback on GS, and the present price of the OMs based on exchange rates, folks might ought to be looking harder at them. 

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2015, 02:15:15 PM »
Agree, I'm really impressed. With chopped xlrs these can be lo pro-d. Even without very small.

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2015, 02:22:54 PM »
OM 1 copy good, dpa better. Glad I ran them. Wmod 661 sounds amazing alone.

Offline chk

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2015, 07:34:43 AM »
Nice. The omni's vs the cards are gonna definitely have a different flavor to them. Omni's tend to have a more "relaxed" feel. Better/flatter/truer bass, but less detailed imaging. Directional mics from the stage lip tend to sound crispier, but omni's sound more natural to me. Nice to have both recordings to choose from. Of course it's all personal taste. I often go back and forth between what i like best. Enjoy.

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2015, 12:23:09 PM »
Nice. The omni's vs the cards are gonna definitely have a different flavor to them. Omni's tend to have a more "relaxed" feel. Better/flatter/truer bass, but less detailed imaging. Directional mics from the stage lip tend to sound crispier, but omni's sound more natural to me. Nice to have both recordings to choose from. Of course it's all personal taste. I often go back and forth between what i like best. Enjoy.

Totally agree, nice to have different flavors,  both good

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2015, 12:25:54 PM »
Oh, I'd be happy to upload what ever you have to the LMA.  Have you thought to mix the two sources?  Maybe the omni's a little under the DPA?  I've been doing that lately and I like it, but as you well recall, YMMV.

Cool Dave, really appreciate that. I have speed and computer issues, so no uploading for me right now. Can you PM your address? I finished dropping the 4022 copy down, I'll do the omni today and get them out Monday. Anything you want to do to play around with mixing is great, I've not s clue. I just barely learned how to transfer on the computer..... ::)

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2015, 06:15:03 PM »
I'm a Luddite with three d's.  :D

Offline MIQ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Stereo Mic Tools
Re: 3 foot split omnis stage lip Hunter and Amendola? - Use a J-Disc
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2015, 01:25:53 AM »
Omni's tend to have a more "relaxed" feel. Better/flatter/truer bass, but less detailed imaging. Directional mics from the stage lip tend to sound crispier, but omni's sound more natural to me.

Caught Charlie and Scott here in Phoenix last week.  I wanted to get the natural bass extension of omnis with improved imaging.  Since Charlie has been allowing stage lip recording, I ran my home brew Jecklin disc equipped with DPA SMK4060 omnis. 

See attached pic.  audBall ran his MG actives above the J-disc. 

I'm very happy with the recording and it sounds great over headphones too.  Comments welcome. 

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=580463

-MIQ

Offline MIQ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Stereo Mic Tools
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2015, 01:32:24 AM »
I upped the J-disc recording to LMA for easier listening.

https://archive.org/details/ch2015-06-18.MIQ.DPA4060.flac16

Everybody knows track 12 "Let's Go" by the Cars for example. 

What I've noticed:

1. The bass is pretty mono and centered but not focused and not where the bass string amp was located in the soundfield.  It was on the right side of the disk.

2. The drums and gtr string amp image pretty well. With the drums spread from left to a little right of center at times, and the gtr on the right.  Drums sound a little distant compared to the gtr and bass amps. 

3. The tonal balance is pretty close to what I recall from the show.  Charlie likes a lot of bass.  Me too.  ;D

4.  The crowd images pretty accurately.  Most people were on the disc's left side. 

5.  Great performance.  I can't figure out how Charlie can walk the bass line while simultaneously jamming on gtr.  WTF?  I've seen him a  few times when he's made it to Phx, and he is always amazing to see live.  I see parallels with the two hands in piano playing, but it's different.  It's like having a piano player's left hand fingers divided between Charlie's left and right hands and the piano player right hand also divided between both of Charlie's hands.  The position of those piano player fingers are constantly changing on each hand as he is playing. How can he keep track of two musical ideas (lead and rhythm) while simultaneously figuring out how to create the fingering in both hands to do it??  So much of it is improvised.  :o  Scott is so expressive, almost melodic on the drums.  He's able to elicit so many different sounds from his kit, often in unconventional ways. It's an amazing amount of music for only two performers.

-MIQ

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.113 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com