Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 1st onstage recording. little advice needed  (Read 1822 times)

Offline peterbilt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
1st onstage recording. little advice needed
« on: October 13, 2004, 11:53:49 AM »
I have been asked to tape a friends band and after looking at pics of the room, onstage seeems to be the only way to go, as it's a great big concrete room with damn near no acoustic "treatments".
the band is a trio that plays instrumental surf rock type stuff with audio samples between songs through the PA. They are only going to be running their rigs onstage with no PA, save the possibility of micing some drums.
my dilemma is... being limited to having one stand at the time I am debating running omni's A-B with a spacing of about 40cm, maybe less spacing once I actually get there and check it all out.
OR, running cards, NOS, from the edge of the stage.
they are planning to videotape the set as well, so height and being all around unobtrusive is a samll isuue to them so I am guessing a height of about 2 feet at the most.

If they setup anything like the last few times i have seen them, it will be

drums
bass                     guitar

with a spacing of about 15 feet between the bass/guitar cabinets and the drums only a few feet behind the 2.

i don't really have time to build a J-disc by then, and honestly I would rather experiment with one during a friends band rehearsals.

so, any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

FWIW, I'll be running NAK Cm300's>AD20>D8

Thanks

Offline mattb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
Re: 1st onstage recording. little advice needed
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 01:55:02 PM »
I'd go cards ortf a foot or two off the stage. Since it doesn't sound like there will be any room ambiance you want to capture, the omnis may not come out very well. The hard part will be the samples. You say they won't be using a PA, does that mean no samples, or they will just play them through an amp or monitor?
Just keep in mind where the samples will be playing from if they do them and try to account for that. An onstage monitor or amp (if even just for the recording purposes) would be best.

HTH! Good luck!
AT933s (C/H/O) > AT8531s > UA-5 > H120 (Rockboxed)

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • half dead batteries
Re: 1st onstage recording. little advice needed
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 02:57:35 PM »
I'd run the cards either DIN or NOS centered to the drums.
24-30" high should be fine.

the water's clean and innocent

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com