Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: anyone purchased a 1080p HDTV yet?  (Read 54216 times)

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bongo Bongo
Re: anyone purchased a 1080p HDTV yet?
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2006, 02:02:19 AM »
Check out this site that explains the viewing distance vs screen size with regards to video resolution:
http://www.carltonbale.com/blog/2006/11/1080p-does-matter/

Oh man, 1440p is in the works! I was hoping to be future proof for more than 3 years when I get a 1080p set.  :P 
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2006, 11:36:47 AM »
i got a samsung 61" rear projection being shipped to me as we speak
went with samsung after reading many, to many, reviews from sony and others as well
plus almost everyone i talked to at different store said samsung was the best

does the ps3 PLAY Blue Ray dvds? EDIT - well that was easy to find out YES it does
i am off to reserch that next, if so thats a nice plus since BR players are at least a few hundred more then the ps3
however the ps3 you can't find lol
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 11:39:03 AM by willndmb »
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2006, 12:29:25 PM »
We got the 61" dlp - HLS-6188.  I think the difference between the 6187 and the 6188 is that the 88 has an extra hdmi slot and it can do PIP.

We ordered it off the internet from TriState (it had the cheapest price according to pricegrabber when we ordered).  They shipped it freight, and were great to deal with, plus it came a day earlier than it was supposed to.

I messed with it a bit, but didn't calibrate it properly yet - just used some resolution settings that I found on the internet.  I highly suggest doing at least that, because the preprogrammed settings for the tv don't exactly show how great the picture is.  I was a little let down when I first saw it out of the box, but it looks great now.

We don't have any shutters on our windows yet, and although the room isn't super bright, its not exactly dark either, but the picture is still highly visible.

I was just using the cheap component cables that came with our cable box to watch cable for the time being until I'm completely moved in and hook up my proper equipment.  It did quite well with those tho, nice colors and crystal clear hd channels.  The sd channels weren't exactly great, but still watchable and the picture stretching looks pretty good as well.

I haven't tried hooking up a computer to it yet, but plan to in the future.  I heard that the samsung does a better job with the computer connection than the sony's.  All in all though, its a great tv so far, and I'm quite pleased.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 12:32:15 PM by Ed. »

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2006, 12:58:57 PM »
i got the 87

i thought the differences were a cable card slot and pip, maybe a 3rd hdmi too ??

at any rate i heard its kinda rough out of the box too
ciruit city gave me a dvd to help calibrate the tv both piture and sound i am going to give that a try for sure
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2006, 01:00:52 PM »

I picked up another PS3 last night at wal-mart.  Stores received shipments in day before yesterday so Id call around.  They aren't really that hard to find as the hype has died down.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2006, 03:32:18 PM »

I picked up another PS3 last night at wal-mart.  Stores received shipments in day before yesterday so Id call around.  They aren't really that hard to find as the hype has died down.

The hype's died down because people have played them and realized they aren't worth the cost just yet. ;)
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2006, 07:14:52 PM »

The hype's died down because people have played them and realized they aren't worth the cost just yet. ;)

Sure it is...its $400 less then any other blu-ray player.  Oh ya, it also plays video games as well.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2006, 07:29:50 PM »

Sure it is...its $400 less then any other blu-ray player.  Oh ya, it also plays video games as well.

Yeah but no IR support, so it wont integrate well into most people's home theater.  And if you want to play video games you may as well get a 360 or Wii right now, because there are no good games out for the PS3 anyway. ;)

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2006, 12:49:57 AM »

Yeah but no IR support, so it wont integrate well into most people's home theater.  And if you want to play video games you may as well get a 360 or Wii right now, because there are no good games out for the PS3 anyway. ;)

I thought the lack of IR was kinda weird but since it comes with a wireless controller that makes accessing the DVD menus rather easy and from under the covers while watching a movie in bed is pretty nice. 

I rented some spiderman game from blockbuster (since they don't rent blu-ray discs yet) and found it to be pretty fun.  The graphics were excellent but there seemed to be too much going on at one time.  I think thats how games are now a days and seeing how I havnt played video games since the days of the SNES I'm rather out of the loop.  I suspect that once I get the blockbuster total access program up and running I'll never play another game unless a donkey kong game is released on ps3.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline pjdavep

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2006, 01:14:55 PM »

If you are willing to sit in front of the computer for and hour or two, you can usually score a 20gb version off eBay for LESS than what you'd pay (after tax) in a store.  I did that and saved $10 :)  Most people are treating the 20GB like a red headed step child, but it was just what I wanted since I'm not a gamer and it'll be used primarily for blu-ray playback.  Although I'm not a gamer, I downloaded the demo versions of Motorstorm, Resistance, and Gran Turismo and they are plenty fun to play...best of all they are free to download  ;D

Later,
   pjdavep
Recording: DPA 4061s > DPA MMA-6000 > R-09

Playback office: Denon 2200 > Grace 901 > Sennheiser 650's (all Cardas cabling)
            home: Onkyo SP-800 > Denon 887 > Odyssey HT-3 SE > Von Schweikert VR-2  (Kimber Select IC's and Bifocal XL spkr cables)

Offline pjdavep

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2006, 01:18:27 PM »

I've geard of people using the PS2 IR adapter with the PS3 and having success with most of the basic DVD control commands.  Check the AVS forum for details.  I would think that down the road they will make a special one for the PS3, but first they want to sell their special bluetooth remotes!

Later,
  pjdavep
Recording: DPA 4061s > DPA MMA-6000 > R-09

Playback office: Denon 2200 > Grace 901 > Sennheiser 650's (all Cardas cabling)
            home: Onkyo SP-800 > Denon 887 > Odyssey HT-3 SE > Von Schweikert VR-2  (Kimber Select IC's and Bifocal XL spkr cables)

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2006, 10:13:33 PM »

If you are willing to sit in front of the computer for and hour or two, you can usually score a 20gb version off eBay for LESS than what you'd pay (after tax) in a store.  I did that and saved $10 :)  Most people are treating the 20GB like a red headed step child, but it was just what I wanted since I'm not a gamer and it'll be used primarily for blu-ray playback.  Although I'm not a gamer, I downloaded the demo versions of Motorstorm, Resistance, and Gran Turismo and they are plenty fun to play...best of all they are free to download  ;D

Later,
   pjdavep

I thought about the ebay route but I received a giftcard for sams/walmart that more then covered the price of the 60gb system. 

Picked up Talladega Nights for $12 at Game Stop tonight and orderd Fantastic Four and The Black Crowes DVD from buy.com last night for $31.xx shipped after google checkout.  I hear tonight is the last night for google checkout discount so I might order two more movies.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline Invisible

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2007, 04:20:32 PM »
Also, keep in mind that just because an HDTV display says it is 1080p, doesn't necessarily mean that it is true 1080p. Most units out there today upconvert 1080i to 1080p. If your display will accept a 1080p input, which most do not, then it is not doing any upconversion and is true 1080p.

I have a 60" Hitachi rear projection with an LCD engine and it is "virtual 1080p". This means it is truly 1080i but will upconvert to 1080p.

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2007, 04:38:16 PM »
Also, keep in mind that just because an HDTV display says it is 1080p, doesn't necessarily mean that it is true 1080p. Most units out there today upconvert 1080i to 1080p. If your display will accept a 1080p input, which most do not, then it is not doing any upconversion and is true 1080p.

I have a 60" Hitachi rear projection with an LCD engine and it is "virtual 1080p". This means it is truly 1080i but will upconvert to 1080p.

I'm not sure I understand you.  The TV itself is 1080p but is upconverting a 1080i signal?  Or do you mean that it's a 1080i tv that is downconverting a 1080p signal? 

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2007, 04:46:51 PM »

TVs do not display anything in 1080i.  the "i" stands for interlaced, so any interlaced signal (whether 1080i or 480i) has to be deinterlaced into a progressive picture (and scaled to your TV's native resolution, if it is not 1080p).  my set is 1365x768, so a 1080i signal is deinterlaced and scaled to 768p.  mine can accept 1080p only at 24hz, but not 1080/30 or 1080/60.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com