Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: anyone purchased a 1080p HDTV yet?  (Read 54237 times)

Offline Evil Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
anyone purchased a 1080p HDTV yet?
« on: April 02, 2006, 06:52:23 AM »
anyone jumped from a 1080i to 1080p HDTV?  1080p is all the hype now but is it actually a noticeable improvement?  the 1080p tvs are fairly expensive right now so i am wondering if they're actually worth the extra money.  so who has the pimped out home theater shit goin awn?
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: anyone purchased a 1080p HDTV yet?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 10:15:18 AM »
I've yet to see anyone broadcast in 1080P.  Don't see the point in buying one now. 

Offline jpschust

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 10:39:16 AM »
scott, that's exactly what my installer had said when we were talking about options.  so i went with an lg with 1080i.
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 12:20:13 PM »
1080p is a marked improvement for high action type broadcasts.  Those that had HDTV during the last summer olympics will remember the diving was all macro blocked to hell.  1080p fixes that...very smooth, no noticeable blocking.  I dont have one and will not be getting one for a while, but Nortel has one in their customer IPTV lab and the picture is phenomenal

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 12:33:01 PM »
macro blocked to hell. 

Is that what the term is for when there are rather large looking squares that resemble huge pixels?  especially located (or noticable) where there is color changes on the screen?  I hate that... and that's why I've avoided upgrading my tv, because I'd really hate to spend that $$$ and have it look like that.  What causes that, and how to you avoid it?

A friend of mine bought a nice Samsung HD/DLP TV for over $3k, and I went over to watch some football, and I was quite dissappointed because it looked like that... but, he doesn't have HD coming into his house yet... could that be the problem?

« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 12:35:17 PM by pfife »
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 12:47:30 PM »
macro blocked to hell. 

Is that what the term is for when there are rather large looking squares that resemble huge pixels?  especially located (or noticable) where there is color changes on the screen?  I hate that... and that's why I've avoided upgrading my tv, because I'd really hate to spend that $$$ and have it look like that.  What causes that, and how to you avoid it?

A friend of mine bought a nice Samsung HD/DLP TV for over $3k, and I went over to watch some football, and I was quite dissappointed because it looked like that... but, he doesn't have HD coming into his house yet... could that be the problem?

bigger screens show how bad a standard definition picture can be...and that is what you are seeing.  HD does not have that problem on most things that are broadcast, only on stuff that is quick movements like diving with a guy spinning around...

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 01:12:14 PM »
I think that means I should hold off on getting into an HDTV for a little while longer then.... the network I watch the most, Fox Sports Net, for my local sports is not HDTV, so I'd imagine everything is going to look like that until they start broadcasting that network in HD. 

I currently have a 51' Mitsubishi Rear projection non-hdtv...  While it's not the greatest, I definately prefer it to those huge blocks, esp considering I'd be paying more $ to get those huge blocks.

am I offbase here?
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 01:42:13 PM »
I think that means I should hold off on getting into an HDTV for a little while longer then.... the network I watch the most, Fox Sports Net, for my local sports is not HDTV, so I'd imagine everything is going to look like that until they start broadcasting that network in HD. 

I currently have a 51' Mitsubishi Rear projection non-hdtv...  While it's not the greatest, I definately prefer it to those huge blocks, esp considering I'd be paying more $ to get those huge blocks.

am I offbase here?

not necessarily...as stations move to digital signals those pictures are going to get better and better.  Also all tv's look different, you cant judge how a different tv will look based on one friends...

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 02:17:16 PM »
You can get something new without going all the way to 1080p. 

I want a panel and need something for work that will do 720p.  So I'm getting a relatively inexpensive 720p panel as an entry into video and then when we move to a bigger room and the broadcast systems are updated, I'll get a video centerpiece and put the 720p in the bedroom.  You can get a sweet panasonic 42" that does 720p for 2K plus shipping. 
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 02:53:04 PM »

am I offbase here?

not necessarily...as stations move to digital signals those pictures are going to get better and better.  Also all tv's look different, you cant judge how a different tv will look based on one friends...

Good points Nick.  Thanks +T
\

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 10:39:48 PM »
I actually think the pixelation during the summer olympics was a problem with the broadcast itself.  the winter olympics looked fine in HD this year and i've watched quite a bit of hockey/football/basketball in HD and there's usually no pixelation issues.  I have DirecTV though so maybe that has something to do with it.  The fuzzyness of regular broadcast channels (even in 100% digital like DTV) is just due to the monitor having more resolution than the signal.  Even non-HD Sony Wega tvs make digital pictures look fuzzy because they have alot of resolution. 

True, broadcasts aren't in 1080p yet but Blue-Ray/HD-DVD are going to be 1080p correct?  I'm pretty satisfied with my HD monitor right now but I want to get a 50+" one for the living room.  The Hitachi DLP monitors are friggin sick right now and relatively cheap (under 3k if you can get a deal).  You can hook a PC up directly to the monitors also so you can have your super techie geek shit goin on from the couch even.  Now how cool would that be?

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 10:51:26 PM »
I got my 52" Mitsubishi DLP 1080p the monday after the Superbowl. And I haven't noticed any of the pixelation as Nick described and it's tuned to ESPN HD alot of the time I actually get to watch it. Also the price difference between the 1080p and the previous model was maybe $500 or so, so I didn't want to save $500 now just to regret it in 6-12 months not to mention having to ask my wife if we can upgrade it that soon after getting it.

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2006, 11:05:45 PM »
how much was the Mitsubishi DLP after all the goodies?

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2006, 08:06:44 AM »
I actually think the pixelation during the summer olympics was a problem with the broadcast itself.  the winter olympics looked fine in HD this year and i've watched quite a bit of hockey/football/basketball in HD and there's usually no pixelation issues. 

alot of sports are not commonly broadcast in 1080i (Fox does all of their sports programming at 720p to avoid pixelization and macro blocking which is common with alot of activity)...makes a huge difference

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2006, 08:48:45 AM »

my panasonic dlp isn't 1080p and doesn't have any of the problems nick has described

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com