Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR2d - part 2  (Read 134303 times)

Offline tay666

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Live music stuff
Re: Tascam DR2d - part 2
« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2012, 08:59:44 PM »
I know most here won't be interested in this.
But if there are any lazy stealthers out there like me.
Here are some samples of what the DR2D will do with just the internal mics and the recorder in my jacket breast pocket.
With the second recording at a lower level, you don't have to worry about clipping and overload.
Just set it, forget it, and enjoy the show.

Indoors in a 2200 seat theater
http://www.tylisaari.com/misc/boots/sample/alicesample2.mp3

Outdoors under the pavilion in one of the 'sheds'.
http://www.tylisaari.com/misc/boots/sample/uproar/seether11samp01.mp3

One bit of advice. Set the file size to something low.
I keep mine set at 512K.
Better to have to join more files together, than to loose an entire set because of a battery issue.
Always looking for Iron Maiden and Papa Roach audio that I don't have.
http://tay666.comze.com/iron.htm

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #106 on: December 01, 2012, 03:59:50 PM »
I keep mine set at 512K.
Better to have to join more files together, than to loose an entire set because of a battery issue.
The DR2D will save the file if the internal battery dies so no need to follow this advice. It is only if you have an external source interrupted and have no internal power that you will lose a file.  ;D
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Drgiggles1

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2012, 01:18:28 PM »
I have a question and since it regards the DR-2d recorder I'll put it here for consideration. I received these wav files via data dvd to process. Is this an example of one of those recordings where the user most likely did not have his settings correct and the result is a brickwalled recording.
Mics: CA-14 (o,c,o)
Remote Power: CA-9100 pre-amp, CA-UBB battery box
Recorders: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d
Cable/s: custom 6" GAKables Mini Starquad
Batteries: Maha 9.6V Imedion, Maha Powerex 2700 mAh
Chargers: Maha MH-C9000, MAHA MH-C490F 9 Volt

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2012, 09:04:12 PM »
And the question is?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline tay666

• Taperssection Regular
    • Live music stuff
« Reply #109 on: December 03, 2012, 12:20:30 AM »
I keep mine set at 512K.
The DR2D will save the file if the internal battery dies so no need to follow this advice. It is only if you have an external source interrupted and have no internal power that you will lose a file.  ;D

Actually, that is exactly what happened to me on my second trip out with the DR2D.
Batteries died during recording and lost the entire file.
It was a small festival, and I had already recorded 5 groups, so I swapped out my batteries for what were supposed to be fresh ones before the next group.
I started the recorder just before the group hit the stage. Looked in my pocket about 40 minutes in, and it was still going.
At the end of the set (just under an hour) when I checked, it was off.
Thought maybe something got bumped in the crowd. So I started it up again for the next group, but kept an eye on it this time.
Died within a couple minutes, so I hurriedly switched back to my first set of batteries again and it ran fine for the rest of the show.

When I got home, and checked the recordings.
Yeah, it had saved files both times it died. But the files were only 1k and were unreadable.
Even tried a program I was advised to try from someone here (fixwave). That could recover nothing from the files either.
After that, I changed my file size setting from 2gb to 512k

Haven't had any batteries die on me since then, but I'm still not taking the chance.
Since I get about 30 minutes in every 512k file, I could have at least had half that set I lost if I would have changed the settings originally.

Offline Drgiggles1

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #110 on: December 03, 2012, 09:18:43 AM »
And the question is?
It's the third sentence in my little paragraph, just made the mistake of ending with a period instead of a ?  :) :)
Mics: CA-14 (o,c,o)
Remote Power: CA-9100 pre-amp, CA-UBB battery box
Recorders: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d
Cable/s: custom 6" GAKables Mini Starquad
Batteries: Maha 9.6V Imedion, Maha Powerex 2700 mAh
Chargers: Maha MH-C9000, MAHA MH-C490F 9 Volt

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #111 on: December 03, 2012, 09:32:06 AM »
I keep mine set at 512K.

Actually, that is exactly what happened to me on my second trip out with the DR2D.

I've had the 1kb file issue with dead batteries a couple times as well.  As I recall, I was able to retrive the files by running CHKDSK on the card in Windows.  Good idea on writing smaller files, however I'll probably only resort to that if I know my batteries are weak and likely to die.

And the question is?
It's the third sentence in my little paragraph, just made the mistake of ending with a period instead of a ?  :) :)

Yes, visually that solid, flat-topped mass of waveforms appears to be either brickwalled or ortherwise limited.  Can't tell by looking if it sounds OK or not.  A commercial recording will often look like that but sound OK (or appear even more dense if a casualty of the loudness war).
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #112 on: December 03, 2012, 01:12:15 PM »
I keep mine set at 512K.

It was a small festival, and I had already recorded 5 groups, so I swapped out my batteries for what were supposed to be fresh ones before the next group.
I started the recorder just before the group hit the stage. Looked in my pocket about 40 minutes in, and it was still going.
At the end of the set (just under an hour) when I checked, it was off.
Thought maybe something got bumped in the crowd. So I started it up again for the next group, but kept an eye on it this time.
Died within a couple minutes, so I hurriedly switched back to my first set of batteries again and it ran fine for the rest of the show.

When I got home, and checked the recordings.
Yeah, it had saved files both times it died. But the files were only 1k and were unreadable.
Even tried a program I was advised to try from someone here (fixwave). That could recover nothing from the files either.
After that, I changed my file size setting from 2gb to 512k

Haven't had any batteries die on me since then, but I'm still not taking the chance.
Since I get about 30 minutes in every 512k file, I could have at least had half that set I lost if I would have changed the settings originally.

Good to know. I have had it die and it saved the files every time. In my tests, as long as there was no external power into the deck it saved the file. However, I will keep your experience in mind. I wonder if the alkaline/NIMH setting could throw it off due to the sometimes swift failure of rechargables, but again, I have had it save files when batteries have died. In all cases my battereis were not rechargable.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #113 on: December 03, 2012, 03:04:41 PM »
I wonder if the alkaline/NIMH setting could throw it off due to the sometimes swift failure of rechargables, but again, I have had it save files when batteries have died. In all cases my battereis were not rechargable.

Yeah, it was my suspicion as well that the much more sudden drop-off of in the discharge voltage curve for NIMH vs alkaline might make shutdown too rapid to complete the write.  I was using low self-discharge NIMH when I had the issue.

Offline tay666

• Taperssection Regular
    • Live music stuff
« Reply #114 on: December 04, 2012, 06:58:36 PM »
Yeah, that is probably it, when the rechargeables die, they die. Like right now.
I thought the back up set would be fine. I had used the rig the night before, but never touched the back-ups.
So I recharged the ones I used and loaded them up to start off with.
I guess going a day between being recharged, and actually used caused enough of a drop to make them practically worthless.
Since then, I've made sure that the batteries don't leave the charger until just before I leave the house.
Haven't had another issue.
But since I've been snake-bit once, I still err on the side of caution.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #115 on: December 05, 2012, 08:56:46 PM »
I guess going a day between being recharged, and actually used caused enough of a drop to make them practically worthless.
Since then, I've made sure that the batteries don't leave the charger until just before I leave the house.
Haven't had another issue.

Retire those immediately. They are past their useful recording use life.  Even non low-self-discharge NiMH should hold charge for at least a week or more. LSD versions at least a month. Anything less and you are setting yourself up for a dissappointment.  If they don't hold charge for one day, then they are unpredictible and may die quick at any moment during a recording.

The discharge curve I was talking about is how fast the voltage drops on good batteries in use as they are drained.  NiMH has less initial voltage than alkaline, but holds a flatter curve for most of the discharge, then drops off more suddenly.  Alkaline starts higher and slowly looses voltage at a more constant rate.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #116 on: December 05, 2012, 09:18:40 PM »
Sounds like you need a better charger. Maha Powerex MHC-9000! Trust me, if youre using rechargeable AAs, you NEED this charger ;) I got around 5.5-6hrs when I owned my DR2D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline ScotK

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #117 on: December 06, 2012, 02:48:03 AM »
Sounds like you need a better charger. Maha Powerex MHC-9000! Trust me, if youre using rechargeable AAs, you NEED this charger ;)

Thanks for the Reco, Bean. Just found this unit on sale at Thomas for $52 with case and a set of batteries. Posted the link in the Retail section. :)

scot

Offline achtungpop

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #118 on: December 10, 2012, 09:48:46 AM »
I've a stupid and infact very global question : is it important to be close of the peak level when recording ? I mean I follow advices here not to be under 95 dB on line in with a microphone recording . I'm happy with some results but the level of my recording is often very low, ( something like 20/ 25% in soundforge for example ) and I have to change the volume to sometime 20 more dB to have something listenable as a same volume than an original recording . Should I put more ? would it improve the quality ? should I plug to mic infact to have even more possibilities to be close to the peak level ?
I've a saturation I think on high spl concerts which seems due to my mics sensivity, could it fix this a few if I record at a higher level ? I mean maybe it give more " power" to the mics to be able to "eat" more dBs ??

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #119 on: December 10, 2012, 10:13:10 AM »
Not a stupid question at all.  It's not really a problem, more of an inconvenience to need to amplify additionally later.  Given the problem of too high or too low recoring levels, I'll take too low everyday.  To low and one just needs to amplify, too high and one gets clipping distortion.  I regularly record with considerably lower than ideal levels and don't have noise problems doing so.

Without changing anything else, you can raise input gain on the line-in from 95 to 100 which will increase your recorded levels by 5dB.  If you want more gain, switch to using the mic-input and add as much as you like. 

But the input gain setting and resulting level of the recorded file will not have any influence on mic sensitivity or saturation at the mic stage.  If the mic is distorting, you will just make a recording of that distortion with a more optimal recorded signal level.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com