Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR2d - part 2  (Read 134301 times)

Offline tay666

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Live music stuff
Re: Tascam DR2d - part 2
« Reply #120 on: December 10, 2012, 06:15:36 PM »
I agree. I would rather have settings too low, than too high.
It is much easier to boost gain in post than it is to deal with clipping or overload.

My first time out I was way too conservative with my input settings. The waveform was minuscule when loaded into CEP2.
The recordings done at 10 Db less were nothing but a flat line, and unusable.
But since it was recorded at 24 bit, there is a lot more data to work with. Some compression, and a little amplification and things turned out just fine.
As a matter of fact, that second sample I posted above, was from that day of recording.
The next day out, I nudged the levels a bit higher, and things were great.

As for my batteries. That was well over a year ago, and they are still in the rotation, with no problems since then.
And I too usually get 5-6 hours recording from a set. Just when I do festivals, I like to swap them out about 2/3 of the way through the day. Just to be sure I don't push my luck.
As for my charger [shrug]. Not even sure what it is. It's so old that you can't read the stuff printed on it anymore.
I bought it 9 years ago when I got my first rechargeable batteries, and it has been a workhorse ever since then.
Between the recorder, and 2 digital cameras it gets a ton of use.

Always looking for Iron Maiden and Papa Roach audio that I don't have.
http://tay666.comze.com/iron.htm

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #121 on: December 11, 2012, 09:50:43 AM »
Just keep an eye on your batteries, when they start to loose charge before being used more quickly than they once did, it's usually one sign they are nearing the end of their useful life.  Of course not lasting as long in use is another, if more obvious indication.

I bought that Maha charger after I had a set of rechargables go wonky in that way and needed to replace them.  After breaking-in and capacity matching the new replacements into sets, I did a break-in and capacity test on the old ones.  They recovered quite a bit, and it was interesting that in several cases one cell of a pair would be far more degraded than the other.  I tossed the really bad ones, re-paired the remaining ones, and relegated those to non-critical use in remotes and clocks around the house.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #122 on: December 12, 2012, 04:22:26 PM »
$99.99 shipped on eBay.  Brand new.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=159731.0

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #123 on: December 19, 2012, 09:04:07 PM »
My new DR2d arrived a couple of days ago, thanks for the Musicians Friend tip!  I've seen it asked a few times but haven't been able to find an answer to what the unity gain setting is on the unit.  I'll be going Tinybox or CA-9200 > DR2d line in.  It looks like a nice little deck.

Thanks in advance!
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #124 on: December 20, 2012, 05:52:45 AM »
95 for line in and 67 for mic in!

My new DR2d arrived a couple of days ago, thanks for the Musicians Friend tip!  I've seen it asked a few times but haven't been able to find an answer to what the unity gain setting is on the unit.  I'll be going Tinybox or CA-9200 > DR2d line in.  It looks like a nice little deck.

Thanks in advance!
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #125 on: December 20, 2012, 09:43:25 AM »
Thanks!
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #126 on: December 20, 2012, 09:59:02 AM »
& those settings make for approximately equal levels into both inputs, in case you are trying to match gain evenly across both channel pairs (which doesn't really matter to most users). No problems using settings equal to or higher than 95/67, just don't go lower than that or you may brick-wall it.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #127 on: January 08, 2013, 12:43:03 PM »
Got my DR-2d and will be using it in the field next week for the first time.

First, thanks to everyone who has reported on the battery life.  I would have been upset if I had not tested it and only got 3 hours at the show.  When it came in the mail I tested the factory batteries and got like 1.25 hours, not sure why they even include those.  Second attempt with Duracell AAs I got 3 hours.  After firmware update to v. 1.03 0023, the unit recorded about 5 hours straight which is acceptable.  How much less should I expect with dual line and mic in?

At first I will be using this with CA-14s > STC-9200 > Line in on the Tascam but later I will want to play around with a matrix, probably with CA-14s > STC-9200 > Line in + SBD > Mic in.  Would SBD > MicIn be correct since I would then have control over the input volume?  In the past I have used a DR-07 that has a physical volume knob, would this have similar control?

To sum up what I have read in this thread, I have gathered that I want the input at no less than 95 for line and 67 for mic.  This is much different than the DR-05 which was always left at 0.  For most loud shows, would if be safe to be set @ 95 on the Tascam with +15db gain on the STC-9200?  I would guess for metal shows maybe +10 would be more appropriate.

What seems to be a nice little bonus to this unit is the remote.  However, it looks to me to be more cute than useful.  Does anyone actually use the thing in the field?  I can see how it would be nice to light the display to check levels without touching the Tascam, however I have noticed that the remote can stop the recording even when the hold is on so I am a little wary to even bring it to a show.

Sorry if any of this has been covered but as you see I am late to the DR-2d party just having received this.  I always get a little nervous bringing new gear out due to the complexities.  Thanks to everyone who has done the legwork on this Tascam so far.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

colinw

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #128 on: January 08, 2013, 01:08:43 PM »
At first I will be using this with CA-14s > STC-9200 > Line in on the Tascam but later I will want to play around with a matrix, probably with CA-14s > STC-9200 > Line in + SBD > Mic in.  Would SBD > MicIn be correct since I would then have control over the input volume?  In the past I have used a DR-07 that has a physical volume knob, would this have similar control?

I think you have this backwards. On my Dr-2d I run mics to the mic in and the SBD feed to the line in. I have used both CA14s and Busman BSC1s into the mic in. I have run the A14s using the straight CA ugly battery box and had no issues, keeping the input at 67. I have also run into the mic in using my Naiant Tinybox with no issues. I have only recorded a SBD feed a couple of times using the line in (while simultaneously recording mics using mic in), and it was just fine, if a little low. I had to boost it in post which isn't a big deal as I recorded in 24 bit. I can't imagine you would need to control the SBD input volume. I ran it straight into line in with the input at 95, and without attenuators, and it was fine, although much too low as mentioned above. It certainly wasn't too hot or clipped at all. I think the preference would be to control the gain on the preamp, so I use my Tinybox for gain, and then may boost up the mic input if I feel the need on the DR-2d.

To sum up what I have read in this thread, I have gathered that I want the input at no less than 95 for line and 67 for mic.  This is much different than the DR-05 which was always left at 0.  For most loud shows, would if be safe to be set @ 95 on the Tascam with +15db gain on the STC-9200?  I would guess for metal shows maybe +10 would be more appropriate.

I wasn't used to this either, as previous to the Dr-2d I used a DR07mkii, and used the gain on the recorder to adjust the levels - for loud shows around -10 or less. I thought it was weird to have the Dr-2d levels so high, but it works great. I have managed some great pulls laving the mic at 67 or a little higher (as long as it doesn't clip), and the Line at 95.

What seems to be a nice little bonus to this unit is the remote.  However, it looks to me to be more cute than useful.  Does anyone actually use the thing in the field?  I can see how it would be nice to light the display to check levels without touching the Tascam, however I have noticed that the remote can stop the recording even when the hold is on so I am a little wary to even bring it to a show.

ha ha, I actually forgot about the remote. I have only had my unit for a couple of months and totally forgot it had a remote until I read this. i can't see using it any point.

Have fun.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #129 on: January 08, 2013, 02:26:24 PM »
Running the SBD into the MIC input does give you the ability to increase gain above 67 without stopping the recording, but the MIC input cannot take as hot a signal as the LINE input.  So if the board-feed is hot, you may need to use LINE in to keep from overloading the MIC input without setting gain below 67.

The remote is great! It's my 2nd favorite feature after DUAL_LINE 4-channel recording.  I use it almost every time I record with this machine, though I only use two buttons on it- REC and STOP.  With the recorder kept in a pocket, it allows you to set everything beforehand, leave the recorder powered up and lock the device with the hold switch, then start and stop recording without removing the machine.  You only need to see the LED on to to use the remote and confirm that it is recording or stopped.  I even use it with the recorder in a bag and just the top sticking out..  no running over and finding the record button as the band takes the stage, just point the remote and press record.

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #130 on: January 08, 2013, 02:30:34 PM »
I'm sure a certain troll will disagree with me, but...
I run the SBD into Mic In at about 65 and run mics thru my Littlebox into Line In
that way I have control over BOTH inputs while recording
none of the SBDs locally I plug into have an issue with being too hot and have RCA outs
and if there was, then I would get some attenuators

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #131 on: January 08, 2013, 02:39:45 PM »
Hmm, who's the certain troll?

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #132 on: January 08, 2013, 03:59:27 PM »
Hmm, who's the certain troll?

not you Lee... you have never argued with me about my posts
and I have gained a wealth of knowledge about this recorder from your experiences
hopefully that person has learned that everyone is entitled to their opinion
and that what works for me works for me and what works for them works for them
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 04:53:16 PM by darby »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #133 on: January 08, 2013, 04:31:58 PM »
whew!

works for me.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #134 on: January 08, 2013, 04:41:28 PM »
This is how I run the DR-2d with AUD & SBD!

I'm sure a certain troll will disagree with me, but...
I run the SBD into Mic In at about 65 and run mics thru my Littlebox into Line In
that way I have control over BOTH inputs while recording
none of the SBDs locally I plug into have an issue with being too hot and have RCA outs
and if there was, then I would get some attenuators

Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com