Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR2d - part 2  (Read 134296 times)

Offline tay666

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Live music stuff
Re: Tascam DR2d - part 2
« Reply #135 on: January 08, 2013, 06:10:37 PM »
Honestly, I completely forgot about the remote as well.
I should give it a try and see how it works.
Would make it easier when running stealth at an afternoon festival.
No pulling the recorder out of a pocket to start and stop it.
Always looking for Iron Maiden and Papa Roach audio that I don't have.
http://tay666.comze.com/iron.htm

Offline Tisbo

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #136 on: January 08, 2013, 06:24:45 PM »
Honestly, I completely forgot about the remote as well.
I should give it a try and see how it works.
Would make it easier when running stealth at an afternoon festival.
No pulling the recorder out of a pocket to start and stop it.

Unfortunately the DR2d remote is wireless by infrared and may not work with the deck in a pocket (but only the end where the externals jack in needs to be exposed).

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #137 on: January 08, 2013, 06:57:12 PM »
Unfortunately the DR2d remote is wireless by infrared and may not work with the deck in a pocket (but only the end where the externals jack in needs to be exposed).

Strike the un and make that fortunatey - infared behavoir here is a feature not a bug. 

You need line of sight access to only the LED between input jacks (which is where the infared receiver is locacted) to operate the remote.. and you will want to see that anyway to confirm that your remote command was followed.  Then, with the machine fully pocketed it is sheilded from any accidental infared input.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Tisbo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #138 on: January 08, 2013, 08:04:30 PM »
On a different subject, I taped my first event... a pretty healthy balance of triumph and disaster. It was music and speaking, in a church. The musicians gave me a soundboard feed and let me set the level for line-in into the DR2d. Those speaking used the built-in PA whose output I decided to grab along with room and audience with my 4060s (in boundary config) and the Tinybox I got through the Yard Sale (Kennedy, oy!): 4060s>TB(low)>DR2d mic-in. Needless to say, I was running Dual_Line. At the first transition from music to speaking, I decided to unplug from the soundboard with the deck rolling, motivated by some obscure impulse I'd prefer to leave unanalysed. That was when I noticed the "Writing Failed" message. There begins a region of memory painful to revisit. I can say with certainty that I resumed recording several times, each attempt eventually ending in the same error message. Inexplicably, one of those efforts resulted in 27 minutes of audio that happened to capture the key speeches it had been my purpose to record (the triumph referred to above was a fortunate accident). As the error messages continued like hammer-blows to the head, at some length it occurred to me to change SD cards, and the rest went without incident. The manual (!?!) includes "Writing Failed" among the messages it says to address by rebooting. I did power down to change cards, leaving open the possibility that it was not changing cards but rather the rebooting that cleared up the problem. There also remains the mystery that on the first card, one file succeeded between failures (I don't think I rebooted before deciding to change cards, but it is possible). I've also put the 8GB card back in later--unaltered--and recorded 30 minutes with no problem.

The fails occurred using a SanDisk Ultra Class 10 (30 MB/s) 8GB SDHC. This series is on Tascam's approved list, but not this size: the list (how old?) tops out at 4GB for the Ultras. I had done numerous tests on that card, without fail, files I wiped off with a FULL FORMAT a day or two before the gig. I don't remember whether I had retested between formatting and taping. Also, none of the tests was more than a couple of minutes long. I switched cards mid-event with a totally sketchy Chinese 2GB SD marked "Micro Center" that came with the deck I got used on eBay.

I know this deck's sometimes brittle relationship with recording media has been discussed here, but wonder how well we understand why it happens and how confidently we can say it won't happen if certain conditions are met. Fellow tapers, your thoughts and experience, please!

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #139 on: January 08, 2013, 09:09:10 PM »
Not to hate on the DR2D, because I used to own one, but Tascams handheld decks are surely FINICKY and just one more reason why I will ONLY use an M10 as a handheld recorder ;) If the M10 did 4 channels like the dr2d, then that would be a dream come true and the dr2d's would be sold and never bought again 8)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Tisbo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #140 on: January 09, 2013, 06:20:26 PM »
Bean, sounds like the closest thing to a reliable 4-channel handheld is two M10s.

Gutbucket, I see your point about the infrared remote. Now that I think about it, it could be very inconspicuous.

Offline Gil

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #141 on: January 09, 2013, 06:24:33 PM »
Not to hate on the DR2D, because I used to own one, but Tascams handheld decks are surely FINICKY and just one more reason why I will ONLY use an M10 as a handheld recorder ;) If the M10 did 4 channels like the dr2d, then that would be a dream come true and the dr2d's would be sold and never bought again 8)

Finicky? How very scientific of you, Bean ;D

I dunno; seems pretty reliable and idiot proof to me.
"Let's go do some crimes."

"To his mind, an opportunity to insult a successful ape came from the hand of Providence."

Teac ME-80(cards & omnis), AT943(hypers)>Tascam DR-2d

Offline boyacrobat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #142 on: January 09, 2013, 08:49:14 PM »
format card prior for each gig will help with avoiding  header and write errors
i learned the hard way

i run with fully empty/formatted card
no data on there before i press rec

since ive been doing this ive had no probs

what i dont like about the dr2d is its look of the rec wavs in mic input-pip/agc is off
they are not looking like the wavs i usually get from my mr1
the dr2d wavs look slightly more compressed

anyone notice this

g

Offline danny3

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #143 on: January 09, 2013, 08:52:17 PM »
I can’t recall ever getting a ‘writing failed’ message, so I can’t address that issue. One time when the unit acted buggy and unresponsive; removing/replacing the batteries seemed to fix things. Perhaps your card wasn’t seated just right, or rather became unseated? I don’t know how that could happen, I only wonder because there have been times when my pc would say it couldn’t read the card (or it didn’t show up at all,) but it would when re-inserted. A couple of times when a card wouldn’t be read, I have just used the usb cable and copied my files that way.

Regarding SDHC cards, I have two SanDisk Ultra 16GB cards that I have been using for over a year now in my two DR-2d units, and also a 32 GB (same model) that I put music on to use my recorder as a player for trips. These cards seem to be compatible with the unit; I have had no issues and have never reformatted them -(edited to add) - but I probably should do so!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 05:27:56 AM by danny3 »

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #144 on: January 10, 2013, 03:27:28 PM »
^ I've tested a Sandisk 16GB SDHC as well with both dual and 2ch and it seems to be fine.  Hopefully that will be the same in the field.

I'm getting about 5hrs with the newest firmware on both dual and 2ch, using Duracell AAs.  Seems odd because others reported getting more time with 2ch than dual.  Oh well I don't play on any shows lasting more than 5 hours.  Sure is different than the DR-05's 15 hour battery life though.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline Tisbo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #145 on: January 10, 2013, 06:55:30 PM »
Thank you all for your thoughts on the "writing failed" error. I recorded again yesterday without a hitch. I really like this little deck and it sounds just fine for my purposes. Still, I wish I had a clearer idea about why it stumbled. Since settings stay the same, maybe a refreshing reboot just before recording would be a good precaution. Some of you have had the "writing failed" error and have then gone on to have long and reliable service from the unit, haven't you? It's not like some units do it and others don't, is it?

Offline zupanic

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #146 on: January 10, 2013, 08:11:59 PM »
I use basic Sandisk SDHC with my DR2d (two 16 and one 8 gig) and have had zero issues with them. I do a FULL FORMAT of the card before any recording. I always use the dual record mode even though I never end up using the lower level file. Have not done a two source mix though. If there is a reason to not trust my DR2d, I have yet to find it  ;D

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #147 on: January 10, 2013, 08:27:10 PM »
Recently, my R-44 occasionally won't read a card, or asks to format, and the card needs to be removed and re-inserted.  I suspect the card contacts just need cleaning. Easy for me to imagine your issue might be similar, Mr Tisbo.

Any one know if I would have any problems spraying the contacts on an SD card with Deoxit and plugging it in and out a few times?

--
Reliable?  sure.  I record moslty to 32GB cards and format them once they get full. No problems.

I've only had issues a couple times early on using cards which had files deleted and re-writen repeatedly without having been formated in a while, which I knew I was pushing, and stopped doing that.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Tisbo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #148 on: January 11, 2013, 08:26:53 PM »
On another subject, I just did a happy test. I got one of those 18,000mAh "Universal Powerbank" batteries to run my DR2d from the battery's USB port, and wondered what would happen if the external power supply was interrupted. Good news! Unplugging and replugging the power cable, the deck switched seamlessly to internal batteries and back. At least it sounded seamless on playback... (I didn't scrutinize the wave forms at the millisecond level).

About the write error, Esoxhunter, thanks for weighing in. I had done a full format on the card when the error occurred, but will continue to do so before important recordings. It can't hurt. And Gutbucket, faulty contact is of course a distinct possibility. I get that with the card reader in my computer: plug it in again and it's good!

Bottom line: DR2d and I are not breaking up.

Offline LikeASong

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #149 on: January 14, 2013, 09:00:55 PM »
Very interesting input regarding the external power supply interruption, Tisbo! I had personally wondered what would happen if the external battery was disconnected or simply ran out of power - now we know. Thank you! :)
The worst things in the world are justified by belief.
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com