Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR2d - part 2  (Read 134313 times)

Offline BobbyHurley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • got a blank space where my mind should be
Re: Tascam DR2d - part 2
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 09:57:26 AM »
The other night I ran AKG 481 (ceiling mounts, 25' split @ stacks) > Oade m248 > Tascam DR-2d (line-in)

First time in a long, long time I'd run the m248 without the mod-SBM-1. Input level on the DR-2d was pre-set at 95%, and I had to adjust the knobs on the m248 for a bit before both channels were even and hitting the spot.

Check it out:  http://archive.org/details/54Bicycles2012-03-29.akg481.flac16

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

The DR-2d I was running was still on the ver 1.0 firmware, but I have since updated to ver 1.3. I did have to swap out a pair of AA alkalines between sets, as it dropped to 1/3 by the end of the 1st set. Hoping the firmware upgrade helps with this.
AKG C 480 B (CK61 and CK63) > Oade m248 > GAK cable > Sony M-10

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 04:33:55 PM »

The DR-2d I was running was still on the ver 1.0 firmware, but I have since updated to ver 1.3. I did have to swap out a pair of AA alkalines between sets, as it dropped to 1/3 by the end of the 1st set. Hoping the firmware upgrade helps with this.

I ran mine for the first time on wednesday with the v. 1.3 firmware on freshly charged enloop rechargeables and hadn't dropped a bar after almost 3 hours.

Sounds great though.  Hopefully its a step up from the JB3.   :)

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 04:49:44 PM »
First 4 track torrent with the DR-2d
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=554084
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 06:42:25 PM »
Cant wait to run a DAUD Matrix with mine. I WAS going to run it Thursday night for Dopapod and go mk41>sax>LINE-IN & Busman BSCS-L>LB>MIC-IN but tonedeaf needed the 2 AA's I had for the DR2D, and so I didnt get to run it, yet again :P ;D 8)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 06:47:32 PM »
Here is my first 4 channel with the DR-2d! 

http://archive.org/details/bc2012-03-10.bc2012-03-10
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2012, 07:45:55 PM »
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2012, 11:09:26 PM »
Bean, if you don't run that thing sometime in the next month, you're off the team!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2012, 10:53:18 PM »
Thoughts and comments appreciated.

Dig the wide split.  This is why the kind of taping we often do (recording music where a large percentage of the sound arrives through a PA) is often a completely different thing than 'standard' recording techniques found in books and taught in audio engineering.  All standard techniques evolved from either large scale classical recording or small scale studio mic'ing techniques.   Nowhere in the 'standard' recording world is there an instrument which emits highly correlated sound through two very widely spaced speakers.   The PA is a freak in the standard recording world, just as stereo reproduction is a freak of the natural sound world.  Both, stereo especially, are contrived from the start to exploit human hearing tricks.  Sometimes standard techniques apply nicely, but when you have widely spaced twin mono (mostly) sources, techniques no classical or studio engineer would normally even consider can work well.  You'll never read about that in any standard book on recording, only between the lines.

Somewhat amazingly really, this 25' split is predominantly mid channel (mono) information, due to the moslty mono PA mix and presumably symetrical mic to stack placement on each side, but there is clear and distinct panning of the effects, jangly percussion stuff and anything else mixed in stereo through the PA.  At the same time the room ambience and crowd reaction is highly decorellated by the spit so that portion is wide and ambient sounding. The result is sort of like a SBD/AUD matrix without any matrixing.. 'matrixed in air'.

Nice job Bob.. and thanks for the chance to blather on that one lurking in the back of my head for years now.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 01:47:24 PM »
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline BobbyHurley

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2012, 10:00:06 AM »
Thanks for the insightful review, gutbucket.

You are correct. The mics are mounted in AT 8410 mounts which are each screwed into upside down clamps that are mounted on a single steel beam running parallel to the stage/PA stacks. Each microphone is pointed directly at the middle of each stack and is approximately 8' from the PA speaker.

Many thanks to Todd Trego for installing these clamps and running cable up and across the ceiling to the far side of the stage.  Unless you point them out, the mics are invisible.

stevetoney

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2012, 11:45:49 AM »

It seems to sound alright, but can't tell if I'm being overly judgmental expecting phasing issues or if its just a bad sounding room and this is how its going to sound.

I know i'm a bit late responding but I read the followup responses and I think they're all overly analytical.  That's strange to say since i'm an engineer but what I'd do if I were you is just load  both pairs of tracks onto my software and then just use drum beats to make sure your tracks are time synched exactly.  If you can't do it visually by lining the beats up s so that they occur simultaneously, then do it sonically by sliding one of the tracks relative to the other by one ma at a time and them playing all of the tracks together.  When you hear the least reverb, you have the best synch.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 11:48:12 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline BobbyHurley

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2012, 03:58:46 PM »
So, before updating the firmware, I was able to get approx 2.5 hrs of recording time on a pair of alkaline batteries before it had dropped to 1 of 3 bars.

With the 1.3 update, I just got 2.5 hrs of recording using the unit's internal mics plus another 45 mins of playback on a pair of Powerex rechargeables without losing a single bar on the power meter.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 09:51:42 AM by BobbyHurley »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2012, 04:37:27 PM »
That sounds right.  And much better.  ;)

Offline nigelsh

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2012, 01:45:06 PM »
I've read a number of posts that seem to suggest sending a soundboard feed to MIC IN and then connecting mics, via a pre-amp or battery box, to LINE IN for a 4ch recording. Can someone explain why you'd do it that way? Since the GAIN setting affects the MIC IN, what do you set it to for a board feed?

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2012, 05:03:29 PM »
I've read a number of posts that seem to suggest sending a soundboard feed to MIC IN and then connecting mics, via a pre-amp or battery box, to LINE IN for a 4ch recording. Can someone explain why you'd do it that way? Since the GAIN setting affects the MIC IN, what do you set it to for a board feed?

you can control the input level of MIC IN on the DR-2d while recording... usually set around 65 to 67
but do a soundcheck first if possible with the soundman
you cannot control the input level of LINE IN, so that's why you use a preamp

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com