Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR2d - part 2  (Read 134313 times)

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Tascam DR2d - part 2
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2012, 10:17:45 AM »
Here it is, I recorded Coldplay in Stade de France, Paris . I used those settings :  SP-CM-4U + battery box SP-SPSB-8 ( no roll-off ) > Tascam DR-2D (line in 95 dB)  wave 96 Khz / 24 bit .

Thanx for the 95 dB advice, there seem to be no saturation, at least no peak level during most of the show, at least when I checked . Anyway, the result is a few disappointing because there's a kind of saturation that I don't really understand :   http://soundcloud.com/julien-kurtzemann/coldplay-sdf-hurtslikeheaven
please let me know your opinion, I've heard it's maybe a question of my bbox not powerfull enough to avoid this ?

Sounds like slight distortion on the bass and/or bass drum. My guess is that your mics couldn't handle the high SPLs. How far away from the PA were you?

Offline achtungpop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2012, 11:42:19 AM »
Maybe 20 or 30 meters from the speakers. The drums sounds perfect to me, maybe it's the bass yes .....

Offline rhinowing

• Needs to get out more...
    • SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2012, 04:21:56 PM »
ran for the first time without a battery box last night (with SP-BMC-2s), the dr-2d actually seems to do really well at powering them. now to try the CA-11s
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

colinw

« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2012, 11:58:50 AM »
Wow, great amount of knowledge here, thanks everyone.

I am thinking of getting this recorder to try some 4 channel stuff. I currently use a Tascam DR07mkii and am very happy with it.

For 4 channel it seems the DR2d doesn't allow level adjustments on the mic input?

If I was doing 4 channel, couldn't I just adjust the gain/level for the mic input using the preamp (in this case a Tinybox). Then adjust the line level SBD or 2nd set of mics using the Dr2d?

That seems overly easy, so maybe I am simplifying it too much.

Finally, if I am just recording 2 channels from mics and controlling gain with the Tinybox, does it make any difference whether I use the mic or line in?

Thank for any clarifications. There are some great deals on this little machine right now.

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2012, 12:10:25 PM »

I am thinking of getting this recorder to try some 4 channel stuff. I currently use a Tascam DR07mkii and am very happy with it.

For 4 channel it seems the DR2d doesn't allow level adjustments on the mic input?

If I was doing 4 channel, couldn't I just adjust the gain/level for the mic input using the preamp (in this case a Tinybox). Then adjust the line level SBD or 2nd set of mics using the Dr2d?

Finally, if I am just recording 2 channels from mics and controlling gain with the Tinybox, does it make any difference whether I use the mic or line in?

Thank for any clarifications. There are some great deals on this little machine right now.

It's not that you can't, but that you shoudn't. Mic in at 67, line in at 95 are settings that work best. Setting level via the preamp is the right way, Soundboard output may be too high for the unit, since you can't always get the engineer to adjust output gain, carrying a -10 or -15db pad is helpful. The Microtrack -10db pad is getting rarer, but still available. There are folks here that could build you a custom pad too.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/3472056939354467372?q=M-Audio%20MicroTrack%2010dB%20Pad&hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1C1SNNT_enUS359US359&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=873519a7d2cc6cd7&biw=1185&bih=620&tch=1&ech=1&psi=YBFrUMLXGMmiigKl2ICYBQ.1349194074245.3&sa=X&ei=YxFrUIyvL4_wigK_7ICIDw&ved=0CD0Q8wIwAA

Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

colinw

« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2012, 01:39:55 PM »

It's not that you can't, but that you shoudn't. Mic in at 67, line in at 95 are settings that work best. Setting level via the preamp is the right way, Soundboard output may be too high for the unit, since you can't always get the engineer to adjust output gain, carrying a -10 or -15db pad is helpful. The Microtrack -10db pad is getting rarer, but still available. There are folks here that could build you a custom pad too.

Thanks for the reply. Here comes a potentially dumb question. If I leave the levels set at what you have them listed as, and I adjust the gain via a preamp will I see the levels correctly on the recorder to be able to tell if I am clipping or not? Also, If one set of my mics is just a battery box and not a preamp, the only way to adjust the levels is via the recorder itself, is that OK? Right now I just run CA14s through the battery box into the dr07mkii and control the levels on the recorder.

I am only used to controlling levels via the recorder not any sort of pre.

Also, why "shouldn't" the levels be set on the recorder itself? Does that impact the quality of the recording somehow? Wouldn't going conservatively at 24 bits allow for plenty of additional gain or amplification in post production?

Obviously I think the best way to go would be two adjustable line level or mic inputs. Are there recorders out there that offer that functionality for anything near the pricepoint of this Tascam?

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2012, 02:16:42 PM »
the preamps in the DR-2D aren't the highest quality. The levels I've mentioned are where the unit has the lowest noise and distortion.

Yes, you can definitely see your levels on the DR-2D as you adjust them with the preamp. Shoot for peaks between -12 and -6 db and you are golden.

At it's price point the DR-2D is alone among 24bit 96Khz recorders. For many it's limitations are manageable and the unit is worth it.

Personally, I need a Tinybox to use with mine, waiting on funds to do so.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2012, 02:32:16 PM »
While recording you can adjust gain on the mic input, just not the line input.  There is no inherent problem with using a mic-input gain settings higher than ~65 (with it set to low gain) other than noise at very high gains, just don't use settings lower than 65.  The reasons why are covered earlier in the thread.  The preamp quality within the usable range outlined here is perfectly adequate and actually quite good for such an inexpensive machine, as long as you keep it within it's good range.  That's a good thing since there is no avoiding the preamp circuitry, all input signals always pass through them.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2012, 04:49:33 PM »
My taping partner tonedeaf ran Teac ME80 Cards>DR2D for  STS9 at Electric Forest this past summer and his recordings are VERY GOOD. Very similar to my Busman BSC2 Hypers>LB>M10 recordings :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Gil

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2012, 06:10:58 PM »
My taping partner tonedeaf ran Teac ME80 Cards>DR2D for  STS9 at Electric Forest this past summer and his recordings are VERY GOOD. Very similar to my Busman BSC2 Hypers>LB>M10 recordings :)

I'm strongly considering this exact setup since my MT has finally shit the bed.
"Let's go do some crimes."

"To his mind, an opportunity to insult a successful ape came from the hand of Providence."

Teac ME-80(cards & omnis), AT943(hypers)>Tascam DR-2d

Offline NewTaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2012, 04:03:58 PM »
I have skimmed through all the pages & copy & pasted important bits to help me but I am still trying to figure out how
to hear the two different input signal separately?
I have two iPods hooked up to it playing two different songs one is in "Mic In" & one in "Line In" and I can only hear the "Mic In" iPod.
When I click the dual button I toggle through with the mode & I can only hear the iPod plugged into "Mic in" under dual & line.
Mix give me both signals at once.

Is there a way to hear what is coming through the "Mic In" & then switch to hear what is coming through the line in?
Is there a way to see just the levels on the Mic in and the to switch to see the levels on "Line In"?

NT

« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 05:12:05 PM by NewTaper »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2012, 04:24:25 PM »
Once you have it set to DUAL-LINE mode and everything hooked up, put the machine in either record/pause or record.  At that point pressing the DUAL button will not bring up a menu but will switch monitoring back and forth between the two inputs- doing so switches both the visual meters and the headphone/line output (as long as headphone/line out monitoring is enabled, and it sounds like it is).

I don't consider the LMT function useful and prefer to set input levels conservatively so I won't go over and amplify things afterwards if necessary.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline NewTaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2012, 05:15:17 PM »
Once you have it set to DUAL-LINE mode and everything hooked up, put the machine in either record/pause or record.  At that point pressing the DUAL button will not bring up a menu but will switch monitoring back and forth between the two inputs- doing so switches both the visual meters and the headphone/line output (as long as headphone/line out monitoring is enabled, and it sounds like it is).

I don't consider the LMT function useful and prefer to set input levels conservatively so I won't go over and amplify things afterwards if necessary.

I guess I have something set up wrong then? I still only can hear the "Mic In" ipod playing.
Any chance you could walk me through the settings?

NT

Offline hoserama

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #88 on: October 06, 2012, 12:26:16 AM »
As far as I know, you can only monitor the mic-in through the headphones while recording in dual mode.

Very unfortunate...wish I could toggle between the two. Or have an onboard mixer like the Zoom H4n has, which is the only thing the h4n has the 2d beat.
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #89 on: October 06, 2012, 01:55:24 AM »
I never monitor out on headphones, but I thought I checked early on to see if the output switched and remember that it did.  Maybe I remember wrong.  Would have been the 1st firmware, which was the fast battery draining release.. maybe that changed?  In anycase, pushing the button swithes visual metering if not the jack ouput.

It does switch the jack output in play mode, but annoyingly does not switch back and forth between tracks as they play along, but switches to the begining of the other file. Useless. The |<< and >>| buttons do that.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com