Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR2d - part 2  (Read 134303 times)

Offline Ziggz

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Tascam DR2d - part 2
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2012, 04:23:48 PM »
the line levels were near flatline though

What source did you have connected to the line-in and via what sort of cabling?

Line-in was unmodded AT853 omnis into a SB-10 battery box, mic-in was 853 cards w/4.7k mod into SB-11.

Offline achtungpop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2012, 08:14:48 AM »
Hello !

I'm sorry but it's hard for me the read the previous 29 pages about the Dr2D, because english is not my language, and even more because I'm totally new in taping so it's almost all "chinese" for me !
I just have a 1st question : what are you talkingk about a 4 tracks recorder at the beginning of the 1st thread for dr2d ? I understand how to record 2 tracks, one with mic in the other with line in, or one with mic in and the same at lower level, but dual recording with a 2nd lower level track is not possible when mic and line are plugged together ... I guess .. is it ???
i've just bought the dr2d, and haven't yet recorder anything, but I'm making some tests at home to see battery life, SD card compatibility, I've upgraded the firmware , thanx for the previous advices ( yes I've read a few anyway lol )  !  I'm still a few lost with the level ctrl;, gain ctrl, input signal ... i'm not sure I won't make a very low recording for my 1st tape with all tose "limiters" lol !

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2012, 12:33:20 PM »
dual recording with a 2nd lower level track is not possible when mic and line are plugged together ... I guess .. is it ???

They aren't mono (one track) inputs.  Both inputs (mic and line) are stereo inputs so that means they record two tracks each.  Your mic in records two tracks and your line in records two tracks, so (obviously) that makes up your 4 tracks.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2012, 05:12:07 PM »
The setting for recording two stereo tracks at once (which is 4 channels total) consisting of inputs into both the line-input jack and the mic-input jack is called Dual_Line mode.  Look for that term in the user manual.  It's pretty clear about it.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline achalsey

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2012, 12:12:04 PM »
Has anyone tried using a USB 5v battery box for these yet?

Edit:  Nevermind.  Just checked Ted's list, looks like it works?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 12:18:55 PM by achalsey »

Offline achalsey

« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2012, 02:15:45 PM »
Stupid thing died on me last night, lost the last 30 minutes of a great set.  Couldn't even make it 4 hours on lightly used fully charged rechargeables.  Recorded two one hour sets and only dropped a bar of battery.  Thought I'd be good to record the last set that was going to be about an hour and a half so didn't change the batteries (dumb user error).  Checked it at encore break and it was off.  Dead.  Was not a happy camper leaving the venue last night.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2012, 02:28:33 PM »
That sucks!!  The external battery back should eliminate that problem. 

Stupid thing died on me last night, lost the last 30 minutes of a great set.  Couldn't even make it 4 hours on lightly used fully charged rechargeables.  Recorded two one hour sets and only dropped a bar of battery.  Thought I'd be good to record the last set that was going to be about an hour and a half so didn't change the batteries (dumb user error).  Checked it at encore break and it was off.  Dead.  Was not a happy camper leaving the venue last night.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2012, 07:28:23 PM »

Works. Was my standard config back before the firmware update. After the update, NiMH Imeions give me ~5+ hrs so the only time I do that now is for powering a 2nd fest rig all weekend.

Stupid thing died on me last night..
Possible it was set for alkaline instead of NiMH? That would cause it to shut down early.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline achalsey

« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2012, 07:40:14 PM »

Works. Was my standard config back before the firmware update. After the update, NiMH Imeions give me ~5+ hrs so the only time I do that now is for powering a 2nd fest rig all weekend.

Stupid thing died on me last night..
Possible it was set for alkaline instead of NiMH? That would cause it to shut down early.

Good to know.  Will be running the battery box from now on just to be on the safe side.

The battery setting was set to NiMH.  Could be the pair of batteries are just already started to go.  Got about 3 and half hours running 4 channels 24/48.

Offline aleal5687

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2012, 08:59:25 PM »
Mics:CA11,CA14,AKG ck91(Homebrew active)
Pre/power: Ca Ugly, Oade mod sbm1,sp battery box,MT mic power
Recorder:R9HR,MT 24/96,Iriver ihp110(16gb cfmod)

Offline achalsey

« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2012, 10:10:55 PM »
how about this in the YS?

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=156031.0

Would work great for the DR-2d, but I already have a battery box, just didn't have the right cable.

Offline easyed

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • get your Jam in the Can
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2012, 02:11:53 PM »
Apologies if this has been covered in the DR2D threads - I did try searching thru them.

The DR2D lets you set what kind of batteries you are using as either akaline or NiMH.

If I'm using Lithium batteries what setting do I use?  (Energizer Advanced Lithium or Energizer Ultimate Lithium)

I plan to get some rechargeables (Maha Imedion 2400mAh AA Low Discharge Batteries from http://www.thomasdistributing.com) those are NiMH so I'll know what to do with those.

Thanks for your help.

BTW I got the DR2D new from an authorized dealer (TMS Audio) on eBay for $106 including shipping.
Beyerdynamic CK-930s > Naiant Tinybox or Littlebox > Sony PCM-M10 or
DPA 4061's > Core Sound Battery Box > Sony PCM-M10 or
matrix: Sound Devices 744T or
multitracking: Audient ASP008 preamps > JoeCo Blackbox BBR1B

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2012, 02:41:29 PM »
The DR2D lets you set what kind of batteries you are using as either akaline or NiMH.

If I'm using Lithium batteries what setting do I use?  (Energizer Advanced Lithium or Energizer Ultimate Lithium)

BTW I got the DR2D new from an authorized dealer (TMS Audio) on eBay for $106 including shipping.

Congrats on the great price!

As for the batteries, I'd set it to alkaline for everything that is not a NiMH rechargeable.

Offline mysticeyes

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Regular
AC adapter for Tascam DR2d
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2012, 12:03:22 PM »

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: AC adapter for Tascam DR2d
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2012, 12:24:39 PM »
Has anyone tried this third-party AC adapter?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Adapter-For-Tascam-DP-008-DP-004-PS-P520-Recorder-Power-Supply-Cord-PSU-New-/270935110694?pt=US_Power_Cables_Connectors&hash=item3f14fdb426

Quite a bit cheaper than Tascam's. Will it start a house fire?  :)

I'm not sure if this adapter will work because the tip size isn't specified in the ebay listing, but you might already have an adapter at home that works for you.  Over the years, I've collected used discarded wall-warts in one place in my house, so I have quite a collection to draw from.  If I need a replacement, the first thing I do is go to the wall-wart graveyard and see if I can salvage something with the right voltage and tip size.

Manufacturers instill fear of death in people about using the prescribed wall-wart, but it's not necessary to use theirs, especially since they charge ridiculous amounts.  If you verify that the voltage, polarity and tip size are consistent with your device, there's no reason you wouldn't be able to use a third party adapter.

If I don't have the right tip size, but the right voltage, I've even gone down to Radio Shack and bought a replacement tip and chopped the cable, but you should have some basic soldering  skills before attempting to do that.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 12:29:27 PM by tonedeaf »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com