Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F8 - Part 2  (Read 125435 times)

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Zoom F8 - Part 2
« Reply #180 on: February 15, 2016, 03:10:35 AM »
I'm curious how people here power their F8.

This is the ghetto-style battery I'm using:

This is a $2 battery clip with another $2 worth of connectors/cables terminating into a Hirose connector. Took it out to a show last night and taped the opening band and the main band with three MBHO mics, one Schoeps CCM8 and a SBD feed. After the show, the voltage was still at 12.0V. And these are only cheap 2.4A NiMH rechargeables.

Offline Benderman11

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #181 on: February 15, 2016, 07:32:43 AM »
Tekkeon 3300 > Hirose (cable made by Ted)
mics: Joly Modded Oktava MK-012MSP, Telefunken M60 stereo set, Neumann ak40, ak43, or ak50 > Nick mod lc3 > Naiant PFA or km100
Pres: Sound Devices 442, Sound Devices MP-2, Grace Lunatec V3
Recorders: Zoom F8, Tascam DR-60Dmkii, Zoom F4, SD788t

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #182 on: February 15, 2016, 07:53:05 AM »
I use Tekkeon 3300 and 3450 on both the Hirose and the rear 12V connector.  Since I have cables for both, I plug a battery into both for redundancy.

Regarding the sled with 8 AA batteries, if you aren't already, you might want to wrap the sled with velcro ties or do something to keep the individual cells secure like put the sled inside another plastic box of some sort.  I could see the AA's dislodging from the sled mid-show if you reach into your bag for something or if someone walks by and kicks your bag.

Offline scorsesefan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #183 on: February 15, 2016, 08:44:04 AM »

This is the ghetto-style battery I'm using:

This is a $2 battery clip with another $2 worth of connectors/cables terminating into a Hirose connector. Took it out to a show last night and taped the opening band and the main band with three MBHO mics, one Schoeps CCM8 and a SBD feed. After the show, the voltage was still at 12.0V. And these are only cheap 2.4A NiMH rechargeables.

Nice... If Rat Shack had just kept selling components to make these they might still be in business  :P

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #184 on: February 15, 2016, 07:11:19 PM »
Naztech Power bank 15000 (have 2 one for back up power)  with the power cord that fit(s) my Tascam DR680 > 12v DC in (not the Hirose plug)
http://www.amazon.com/Naztech-PB15000-Universal-Charger-Extended/dp/B007URKIGC
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #185 on: February 15, 2016, 07:42:00 PM »
Naztech Power bank 15000 (have 2 one for back up power)  with the power cord that fit(s) my Tascam DR680 > 12v DC in (not the Hirose plug)
http://www.amazon.com/Naztech-PB15000-Universal-Charger-Extended/dp/B007URKIGC

...and there's one on sale in the YS right now (no affiliation).
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline scorsesefan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #186 on: February 16, 2016, 01:12:37 PM »
When I record dual channel on the F8 I'm getting a wav file with embedded L/R channels that I have to separate into two mono tracks in my NLE. Is there a setting where I can just get two separate mono tracks when dual recording is on? Thanks

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #187 on: February 16, 2016, 05:03:58 PM »
When I record dual channel on the F8 I'm getting a wav file with embedded L/R channels that I have to separate into two mono tracks in my NLE. Is there a setting where I can just get two separate mono tracks when dual recording is on? Thanks

The general answer to your question is that under the REC menu, you want to choose the mono WAV file format instead of poly WAV.

However, I don't really understand specifically what you're trying to do, but here are two answers.  I think one of them addresses your question.

Are you asking how to make channels 1 and 2 and/or the L/R channels record as mono files?  If so, I think the answer is the following menu selection...

REC > Rec to SD1 (or SD2) > Track1-8 + L/R(mono/stereo WAV)

You probably have the last item above set to Track 1-8 + L/R(poly WAV)

If your issue is simply that you don't want to record the L/R channels and you just want mono tracks for channels 1 and 2, then you'd need to set the unit up like this...

To keep the L/R channels from recording to your SD card, go into the menu and make the following selections.

REC > Rec to SD1 (or SD2) > Track1-8(mono/stereo WAV)

Instead of 'Tr1-8(mono/stereo WAV)', you have it set it to either 'Track1-8 + L/R (poly WAV)' or 'Track1-8 + L/R (mono/stereo WAV)'

Offline scorsesefan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #188 on: February 16, 2016, 05:58:09 PM »

The general answer to your question is that under the REC menu, you want to choose the mono WAV file format instead of poly WAV.

However, I don't really understand specifically what you're trying to do, but here are two answers.  I think one of them addresses your question.

Are you asking how to make channels 1 and 2 and/or the L/R channels record as mono files?  If so, I think the answer is the following menu selection...

REC > Rec to SD1 (or SD2) > Track1-8 + L/R(mono/stereo WAV)

You probably have the last item above set to Track 1-8 + L/R(poly WAV)

If your issue is simply that you don't want to record the L/R channels and you just want mono tracks for channels 1 and 2, then you'd need to set the unit up like this...

To keep the L/R channels from recording to your SD card, go into the menu and make the following selections.

REC > Rec to SD1 (or SD2) > Track1-8(mono/stereo WAV)

Instead of 'Tr1-8(mono/stereo WAV)', you have it set it to either 'Track1-8 + L/R (poly WAV)' or 'Track1-8 + L/R (mono/stereo WAV)'

Thanks, Tonedeaf. I think the issue is I was recording poly...

Offline digging90650

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Deep Owl. sound • light • camera
« Reply #189 on: February 21, 2016, 03:10:48 PM »
For F8 users who are looking for a nice versatile carrying option, I've been working on this little thing called the Mixer Cage. I'm a location sound guy so it's definitely geared toward that world, but it may be a good solution for the taper world. I'm still working on it but hope to get a kickstarter going soon and do a small run. Check it out and let me know what ya think!
www.facebook.com/mixercage
-Daniel Powell

Offline scorsesefan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #190 on: February 21, 2016, 06:50:48 PM »
Hey Daniel. I record film sound but usually with just a stand alone recorder in a bag... Interesting concept. How would ones mixer, recorder, etc. attach to the cage?

Offline digging90650

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #191 on: February 21, 2016, 10:23:31 PM »
Hey Daniel. I record film sound but usually with just a stand alone recorder in a bag... Interesting concept. How would ones mixer, recorder, etc. attach to the cage?
Hey! Mixer/Recorder attaches to the cage in much the same way a CL9 attaches to a 788T. The top, underside screws get unscrewed and then screwed back in through slots on the cage. I have a few ways to attach wireless receivers. One I'm working on right now has them slide into or clip onto a kind of aluminum sleeve.
Thanks for checking it out!
-Daniel Powell
www.facebook.com/mixercage

Offline scorsesefan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #192 on: February 22, 2016, 09:52:35 AM »
I have used this 12V L-ion battery from Ebay to power a Tascam DR-680. Does anyone know if it will be good with the F8? Thanks.

Offline digging90650

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #193 on: February 22, 2016, 04:46:25 PM »
I have used this 12V L-ion battery from Ebay to power a Tascam DR-680. Does anyone know if it will be good with the F8? Thanks.
Should be good. Probably regulated 12V. As long as you don't feed it higher than 17V all should be fine. And depending on how many mah your bat goes, it'll power F8 for a long time!
I did a test just running internal batts. I was able to record 2 channels for 6 hours before it cut out. And when it cut out it closed the file so there was no data loss.

Offline scorsesefan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #194 on: February 22, 2016, 10:38:23 PM »
Should be good. Probably regulated 12V. As long as you don't feed it higher than 17V all should be fine. And depending on how many mah your bat goes, it'll power F8 for a long time!
I did a test just running internal batts. I was able to record 2 channels for 6 hours before it cut out. And when it cut out it closed the file so there was no data loss.
Cool.. Out of curiosity what AA's were you using in the F8 and were you running headphones/phantom?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com